Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Now you either hated them or loved them. There was no in between (at least for me). When I say "distraction" I mean who was a bigger road block in Lois and Clark's road to a romantic relationship.

Personally I would say Mayson because Lois always thought that Clark had a "thing" for her. Dan to me was just annyoing.

What do you think?

~L.L Wanna Be

"Live with intention.
Walk to the edge.
Listen Hard.
Practice wellness.
Play with abandon.
Laugh.
Choose with no regret.
Continue to learn.
Appreciate your friends.
Do what you love.
Live as if this is all there is."
~Mary Anne Radmacher
RL Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
I said Dan, because Mayson never really seriously got between them. It didn't affect either of their behaviors to any extent, and if anything, helped Lois figure out she likes Clark.

Dan, OTOH, almost made Clark leave Metropolis and gave Lois an excuse to redirect her attraction away from Clark. Clark never went out on a real date with Mayson. Lois, AFAIK, never sat at home with her head in her hands worrying about losing Clark to Mayson, while Clark spent too many visits to Smallville worrying about "Call me Daniel" Scardinooooo!!!

-- Roger

"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself." -- Benjamin Franklin
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I have always hated Dan.

Clark was willing to leave Lois to him.

That is much worse than Lois thinking that Mayson had a thing for Clark.

Besides, Mayson was much better at comic relief.

I loved the time when Lois and Mayson told each other that they didn't like each other and it was a relief for both of them! huh

James

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Yeah, I've got to go with Roger and James on this one. Mayson served some positive plot purpose -- got Lois thinking along the right direction. She didn't split up L&C because there was nothing there to split. Dan, OTOH, was a regression, when L&C had started to date and the show's producers were panicked that they were getting along too well. :rolleyes:

Plus Dan was a lot more obnoxious than Mayson ever was.

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Definitely Dan.

Mayson was actually a plus because I remember during Lucky Leon she wanted to take Clark to a play, and Lois was like, "Nope, we have plans," and bam there's the first date.

Dan was a serious hinder. Granted, Clark had a lot to do with it because his timing was just *terrible* with rescues, but it sort of thrusted Lois into Dan like, "Hey, he's there for me when I need him, and Clark's not."

My $0.02
Jen smile

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Blogger
Blogger
I chose Mayson, but I still think that Dan was awful. razz

Mayson served some positive plot purpose --- got Lois thinking along the right direction
So true. <g>

Lois and Clark weren't aware of their feelings for one another when Mayson started to throw herself at Clark. Mayson was another woman who would be willing to date Clark if Lois wouldn't. As others mentioned, Lois truly thought Clark was interested in Mayson. That intimidated Lois (to a certain point) and Clark didn't get to see that. Clark still thought she saw him as a friend and nothing more. frown

As for Dan...

Lois and Clark already knew that there was something special between them when Dan was introduced. At the time, Lois was frustrated with Clark and was flattered by the undivided attention Dan gave her. IMO, Lois didn't take Dan too seriously. He just showed up when she was sick of Clark running off... I always viewed Dan to be another obstacle Lois had to face on her way back to Clark.

It could go either way, lol.
~Amanda

Lois: Our byline is gonna look great on a Pulitzer someday
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I had to go with Dan. I always hated his character in the show. He always seemed to show up at the wrong time, like right after L & C had just gotten done with a big argument, or right after Clark had run off, which pushed Lois to him. He was always such a pain, and if I were Clark I would have punched him a long time ago!

*Blayne*

Clark: You are really high maintenance, you know it?
Lois: But I'm worth it.

Clark: Not exactly what you had in mind, huh?
Lois: Let's see. So far I've been given a glimpse of ritual crop worship, been treated as your girlfriend, and insulted your parents. No, I couldn't have planned this.
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Like the majority, I said Dan. Dan= slime IMHO. I hated him in Whine, Whine, Whine, horning on on Lois and Clark's date. Grrr.

I actually liked Mayson, and I agree that she helped advance a couple of plots. The only thing I can fault her with is that she chose a *terrible* time to die!

Caroline

You've gotta be original, because if you're like someone else, what do they need you for?
~Bernadette Peters
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Dan, IMHO. I really don't like either one. (Sorry, I know Mayson is actually pretty well liked, but I really don't like her.) And despite my twin, I can't stand Dan either. But my reasoning for saying Dan was more in the way... Mayson was never really a roadblock except when Lois was already pushing Clark away. Dan, OTOH, was constantly in the way. Mayson never would have been in between them if Lois hadn't allowed it.

Jana

"Don't you people have lives?!?" ~Joe on Wings

"An eternal, burning flame. Hope lives on and love remains." ~from Love Remains, by Collin Raye
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
You can add me to the Dan voters. Why? For all the reasons already mentioned.

Clark never really went out with Mayson, although to insecure Lois it may well have looked as though he might. Mayson did the chasing; Clark seemed pretty intent on running away from her. (I think he'd have quite liked her as a friend, but not as a girlfriend.)

That Clark was so keen to avoid Mayson's advances -- and, in fact, seemed to find them embarrassing -- should have told Lois something about Clark's feelings for her. Here was a man who was mostly 'afraid' of women -- look at his reaction to Cat Grant, for example -- but who was not only prepared to spend time with Lois, but who actually appeared to want to spend time with her.

By contrast, Lois seriously considered a relationship with Dan; yes, she was frustrated by Clark's behaviour, but is that really an excuse? (In Dan's defence, I will say that I think he genuinely cared about and for Lois; I don't think his 'interference' was on a whim.)

To be honest, I think one of the reasons why I think Dan was more of a distraction than Mayson has to do with timing. Yes, he interrupted what could have been a nicely developing relationship, but whose fault was that?

The writers!

Mayson had been a distraction. Then the character died. What did the writers do then? They put in another distraction. By the time Dan appeared, I was already suffering from 'distraction-fatigue'. That may have made Dan seem even more annoying and distracting than he would have been had he been introduced at some other point in either the season, or in the show.

Incidentally, why did Lois get distracted by all those men? Luthor, Dan, Dieter...

I'll shut up before I digress.

Chris

Top Banana
Top Banana
Well, I voted for neither, because I actually liked Mayson, who was gutsy and had a nice dry sense of humour. Dan, meanwhile, was bearable with the occasional charming touch.

What I did hate was the writers who felt they needed to complicate the L&C relationship with these people. To their credit, at least they didn't make them as shallow as the 'girlfriend of the week characters' you used to get in series like Starsky and Hutch (showing my age there, methinks wink ). But I would still have preferred them not to exist at all - they were too obviously plot devices to delay L&C getting together. I guess I have a limited attention span for that old "will they, won't they" thing, especially when it's so clumsily done.

Yvonne

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Well the biggest distractin of all was probably Lex,but since you didn`t mention him I would say yes, because by Mayson I knew Clark wouldn`t fall for her, but by Dan I wasn`t so sure.

I found this man just absolutly annoying and was glad we he went to Tahiti or wherever that was mad razz

sunshine

A friend is somebody that knows everything about you and still likes you
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I guess I have a limited attention span for that old "will they, won't they" thing, especially when it's so clumsily done.
You and me both, Yvonne! A little bit can be fun but you can't just get *stuck* there!

PJ
who is glad that the oh-so-frustrating TV show has been superceded by all these wonderful fanfic stories! goofy

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I voted that Dan was the bigger distraction.

Ok, Mayson got on my nerves, too. But only because of her behaviour in respect towards Clark. While Dan... I think I didn't like him as a person.

Despite that, it's what some other ppl already said: Mayson was no true danger. Clark loved Lois and vice versa. Her appearance made Lois determined to gain Clark while Dan's appearance managed to reveal Clark's insecurities and drove him to the edge of leaving town.

So, it's Dan. At least for me.

~Sira.

Top Banana
Top Banana
Another vote for Dan.

I never took Mayson as a serious obstacle since we knew that Clark was totally and irreversably in love with Lois from day 1.

Dan always annoyed me with his digs at Clark. I hated when he would point out to Lois how he was always abandoning her and that she wasn't important to him..grrrrrrrr.

~Liz

Lois: Can I go?
Clark: No.
Lois: Oh come on, Clark, why do we go through this? We both know I’m going to go.
Clark: Then why do you ask?
Lois: I’m trying to be nice.
Columnist
Columnist
I said Dan because I have always thought (although I have never done the research so I don't know if I'm right or not) that he had more screentime. At least, screentime when he was pursuing Lois. Mayson was there part of the time when she was just part of an investigation and not pursuing Clark, if I remember right. It was after she started, that she became so annoying to me. Dan, on the other hand, always seemed to be after Lois right from day one, and he bugged me to death right from day one...

I'll allow myself to be corrected if I have my facts wrong, but that's my opinion smile

Melisma (under her Rock, wishing she had her LnC tapes with her)

Do, or do not. There is no try.
- Yoda
Merriwether
Merriwether
Truthfully, it'd be Dan. Clark already knew he wanted to be with Lois, but she just couldn't make up her mind! Not to mention, those gifts...

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
C
Kerth
Kerth
C
Dan definitely! I always thought that while Mayson was clearly interested in Clark Lois knew that even though Clark might start dating Mayson she wouldn't lose Clark's friendship. Dan was just the most annoying man I've ever seen (both fictional and real) in that not only would he show up at bad times almost cost Lois and Clark not only their budding relationship but also their friendship! Then again Clark and Lois were as much to blame for it as Dan cos of Clark's running away all the time and Lois neglecting to tell Dan from the start that she was
sort of taken.

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched they must be felt with the heart

Helen Keller
Blogger
Blogger
I always felt Dan was a bigger distraction because it seemed Lois was willing to go to him whereas Clark was never interested in Mayson, since he only had eyes for Lois.

Oh, by the way I'm awesome
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Then again Clark and Lois were as much to blame for it as Dan cos of Clark's running away all the time and Lois neglecting to tell Dan from the start that she was sort of taken.
That's true, Crazy Babe. Dan was annoying because Lois and Clark let him be annoying. Clark acted so stupid after Mason's dead, repeatedly pushing Lois away. :rolleyes:

She wasn't interested in Dan; for Lois the final straw was when Clark ran away while they were having a discussion about their relationship. In exasperation she turned to Dan and asked him if he wanted to go eat some icecream. frown

And of course Dan was conveniently around, you can't blame the guy! <g>

He did something nice though, for Clark. He's the one who told Superman to go talk to Constance, the last honest lawyer in Metropolis! cool

I voted for Dan being the most annoying because I rather liked poor Mayson. I was just very annoyed at the time they picked to blow her up. razz

Ursie

Lois: Well, I like my quirks. I think they make me unique.
Clark: You certainly are unique.

Clark: You're high maintenance, you know that?
Lois: But I'm worth it!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard