Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#231532 05/19/03 10:40 AM
Hazel Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
A stray comment on Rat's latest story prompted me to think of the various cameos we've had in stories. The following is a list of some of the cameos we've had over the years:

Tara, of course, made Tank the bad guy of sorts in a fic, and Tank retaliated by putting Tara and Cindy Haste in a fic and making them shave their heads. goofy Nan was in that one too, but she was a doctor at STAR Labs and retained her dignity. smile Elisabeth gave a cameo to nearly every mb regular in her "Story of a Lifetime" (why isn't that on the archive, Elisabeth?), while Debby Stark disguised various FoLCs very loosely and featured them in different bits of Dawning.

There are more subtle cameos as well. Someone had Lois and Clark mention "Jernigan's Pub" during an investigation (sorry, I don't remember who or what fic that was!), but it wasn't the main part of the story. I'm guilty of this kind of cameo, too; in "A Certain Point of View," Lana tells her parents not to hire the Wilson band, because they have a lousy bass player. :p laugh I'm sure there are other examples out there as well.

So, to get to the point: How do you feel about cameos? Do they amuse you? Annoy you? Can you skim over it and just keep reading, or does it distract you and pull you of the story? Would it matter if the cameo was a minor, subtle one, rather than something obvious? Do you think that cameos suggest a clique of sorts to the reader that recognizes the various names?

I look forward to seeing the results of this, and any discussion below. And if I've missed any cameos in fics, please share them!

Hazel

Lois: You know the deal.
Clark: Superman gets the guys in capes, Lois and Clark get the guys in suits.

-- Action Comics 827
#231533 05/19/03 10:52 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Interesting poll, Hazel! A while back, I would have said that I hated all cameos and that they jerk me right out of the story. Now, I find that I quite enjoy the very subtle cameos, such as Kathy putting two FoLC friends of hers into When Friends Become Lovers (very subtle; just the first names used). I put someone into Carbon Copy; Nurse Luddy nurse was named after a certain FoLC who'd expressed a desire to nurse CK back to health. smile1

Just a fly-by! *waves*
#231534 05/19/03 10:52 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
well, i, for one, find them amusing. as long as they're good cameos. that is, if they're not too obvious and if i agree with the character assessment. i guess it's a matter of taste. usually, they're in silly stories anyway, which means it shouldn't be a problem. sometimes, though, they're in more serious stories, and then they often add a nice little touch of humor.

so, basically, i like most cameos. i guess that's not surprising, since i've written a couple myself. laugh

i'm curious as to why you decided to start this one, hazel, and to see what others think.

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
#231535 05/19/03 11:04 AM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Okay, I started off on this one not being able to vote, because I've always been really schizoid when it comes to cameos. Some I love, some make me laugh and some jerk me out of the story and I hate them.

And I've never been able to figure out why I have this varying response...

....until I read Wendy's post above. And that's it! Exactly! My opinion on cameos? Go read what Wendy said.

Thanks for solving the long-held puzzlement, Wendy. <G>

LabRat smile (who has the odd exception even so. I did kind of enjoy a story I read years ago where Lois and Clark walked past a TV store and Lois thought to herself how much Clark looked like the actor on screen...)

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#231536 05/19/03 11:10 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I have to confess that I don't like cameos (unless I'm so oblivious, and I miss them, in which case they obviously don't bother me! wink )

For me, this isn't just a problem with LnC fic. It's a more general problem. For example, I went to see the Daredevil movie a few months ago, and there are lots of references to people who just happen to share names with comic writers and artists. Obviously, anyone who doesn't read the comic would completely miss them. Unfortunately I do read the comic -- and I can't believe that I've just confessed to that! -- and I found the references really distracting. I'm sure that they were supposed to be cute in-jokes for the fans, but they just didn't work for me. Humour really didn't fit with the storyline (such as it was).

Actually, going back to the original question... If the story is supposed to be humourous / tongue in cheek, I probably can live with the odd cameo. If it is a serious story, then I have a real problem with them.

Chris

#231537 05/19/03 11:13 AM
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
I was guilty of using cameos frequently in the early days of my writing because I thought it would help me become more a 'part of the group', but now I'd only use them in a minor way, and in a story that isn't too serious in nature.

They work best in stories with touches of humor already, or in stories 'pointed' at certain individuals.

I don't think a cameo (or supporting role) would work in a larger context anymore because they do have a tendency to pull you out of the flow of the story.

Like everything else, cameos are best if taken in small bites.

Tank (who cops to Jernigan's Pub also, but thinks it was in the same fic as Nan, Tara, and Cindy)

#231538 05/19/03 11:30 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Just coming back in to add that I agree with Chris and Tank - in a serious story they do tend to grate for me more than in a story that's got a strong comedy content. There have been stories I've found them irritating in and mostly there were serious themed, now that I think about it.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.

The Musketeers
#231539 05/19/03 12:31 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Cameos are fun! The more, the merrier! How can I get a cameo in someone's story?
blush

I've always loved seeing them smile Brings a big smile to my lips.

-Breanna

#231540 05/19/03 02:45 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
They work best in stories with touches of humor already, or in stories 'pointed' at certain individuals.
I think comment of Tank's sums up my opinion, as well. When stories are meant to be funny, unexpected things like this only add to the good natured fun. But in a serious story, if L&C were to watch a program with some gorgeous actor named Dean Cain or if Jimmy were to mention he chats online with someone named Tank and they'd become best friends wink , I'd likely be pulled out of the story and wonder why the author chose to add it at that moment.

But if one is running out of character names and decides to use another FoLC as a basis for a new one (as I did in WFBL, as Wendy mentioned), then I certainly have no problem with that. Generally speaking, until something like that was pointed out to people, no one except the person would even realize it. (And as it happens, I had to tell at least one of the people in question after the fact that I had based the character's name on theirs. They had read the story and hadn't even caught the similarity to their own name. smile )

Kathy

#231541 05/19/03 03:12 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Unless it's humor or something's pointed at a specific person, I either don't notice them all-together or if it's brief, I'll just grin and keep on reading. I'm usually so wrapped up in the Lois & Clark part of it, though, that I'm not even paying attention to names and such. But the briefer, the better. I don't think it's clique-ish or anything like that, but if Wendy and Tank suddenly became Jimmy's best friends...I don't know, it would just be...weird. dizzy

Good poll.
Jen wink

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
#231542 05/20/03 12:05 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
True, the ones in humorous stories do work well; how can I forget Lois going undercover as 'Wendy' with a tonsure, and getting to know a simple young girl called 'Kay'? smile1

Just a fly-by! *waves*
#231543 05/20/03 12:53 AM
Kerth
Kerth
how can I forget Lois going undercover as 'Wendy' with a tonsure
smile1

"Practice up your shielding spells...and remember to duck if you see green light coming your way."

Harry Potter to Wizengamot in OotP trial

A Bad Week in the Wizengamot
#231544 05/20/03 12:58 AM
Hazel Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
I prefer the kind of cameo that can bring a smile to someone in the know, but not distract from the story if the reader doesn't know about it. Kathy's example of using a friend's first name is perfect. The friend appreciates it, but it doesn't bother the flow of the story at all.

I do agree that obvious cameos, deliberately planted for the humor of the story, are fine. But count me in among those who would rather not lose the flow of a serious story by an overly obvious cameo. smile

BTW, Paul, you asked what made me start this poll. You can read the comments on Lab's Epiphany to see what struck me as a cameo. Mary Suedom self-insertion? My goodness! goofy

Hazel, who doesn't mean that seriously wink

Lois: You know the deal.
Clark: Superman gets the guys in capes, Lois and Clark get the guys in suits.

-- Action Comics 827
#231545 05/20/03 02:19 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Mary Suedom self-insertion? My goodness!

Hazel, who doesn't mean that seriously
LOL! And actually the irony is that it wasn't even intended as a cameo at all. <g> It was just what popped into my head and went down on the screen when I needed an example for Lois. It was a bit of a surprise for me the first time it was mentioned - by one of my betas I think.

LabRat smile (who only thinks of herself as a rat some of the time... wink )

The Musketeers
#231546 05/20/03 02:21 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Jose, it's in Tank\'s Haircut Challenge story.

The Musketeers
#231547 05/20/03 02:43 AM
Kerth
Kerth
Thanks LabRat, I had noticed that when I read the story I didn't remember when I have read the story. Of course it was a recent story, otherwise I doubt I would remember that. :p (That says a lot of my memory wink )

Jose hyper

"Practice up your shielding spells...and remember to duck if you see green light coming your way."

Harry Potter to Wizengamot in OotP trial

A Bad Week in the Wizengamot
#231548 05/20/03 03:37 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
I'm one of the ones that like cameos in their own rights. If it's a serious fic, it may not fit properly. Of course, if I do happen to see a cameo, I either giggle or roll my eyes, depending on the context.. usually giggle. laugh I have to admit, tho, I did not get the Wendy & Kae reference *bops self*.

And with that, I just can't resist to add my chicken scratch...

o< o= o< o= o< o=

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
#231549 05/20/03 03:56 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Um, yeah, what they said. I've used inspiration from my real life before, usually as names for minor characters. The doctor in Second Chances just *happens* to share a name with my doctor wink That kind of thing. Not sure that qualifies, tho.

Oh, and I put myself into Second Chances, but I doubt anyone would ever find it if I didn't point it out. smile

PJ
who was also a villain in Dawning part 8...

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#231550 05/20/03 04:00 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Initially, i wasn't going to vote as I didn't really mind them one way or the other. However after thinking about some recent stories I've read and seeing what everyone else has posted I voted for the "Cameos do distract me a little, but if it's something subtle and minor, I don't mind. It's the obvious cameos that bother me."

I quite like seeing cameos - its fun, but when I thought about it, I realised that, despite being great fun they did pull me out of the story and back into RL. In a fun story I don't mind, as I said its part of the fun (the cameos in Tank's and other's haircut challenges have been great! laugh ) In a long story, or even short waffy ones, they do take something away from the story, IMO. Tho, like Wendy, if they are subtle/unnoticable, I don't mind them, might even go so far as to say I like those ones, no matter the story. smile

Loriel (hoping we don't see an end to all the cameos)

"Inappropriate attachment" didn't begin to cover the depth of the feelings Vaughn had for Sydney Bristow.
~Ties That Bind by RJ Anderson~

I ramble at http://www.livejournal.com/~loriel_eris
#231551 05/20/03 04:34 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Hey, Wendy, you forgot the copyright sign after "Phil the Mad Professor" -- does that mean you're surrendering ownership of the term? laugh

And my "revenge" is still coming, one of these years... evil

I haven't put many cameos in my fics. I doubt that anyone (except the cameo-ee -- there's gotta be a better word than that confused ) noticed the one that got into the S6 finale, and, although tempted, I refrained from putting the rest of the S6 crew in at one point because I though it would break the reader's concentration at what was supposed to be a tense moment.

Which, I guess, more or less agrees with what other people have said: a cameo can be a fun thing to do provided it doesn't detract from the story -- which means that the story has to be one the light side so that any "crossover" with RL is just one more piece of fun.

Phil (the Mad Professor wink )

Ping! Ping!! Ping!!! -- Mother Box
She's such a chatterbox at times...
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard