Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
MissyG Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
How do you feel after reading a segment of a story that ends in a particuliarly evil spot?

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I'm 'other'. I secretly love them (don't tell anyone or I'll hunt you down and beat you with a ficus), but at same time they ARE extrememly frustrating, especially when you know the goofy

Beaker: Special Talents: Scientific assistant, Victim
Last Book Read: "1001 Meeps to a Bigger Vocabulary"
Quote: "Meep! Meep! Meep!"
Never Leaves Home Without: Medical Coverage
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I'm another "other" -- can't say that I love cliffhangers, although I do enjoy some of them. But I recognize that it's a feature of stories posted in installments -- just to make sure all your readers stay with you til the next section -- and I'm okay with that. smile

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Yeah, I voted for other - you need an all of the above option. <g>

I think cliffhangers come generally into the love to hate category. wink

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
A
Columnist
Columnist
A
I went with other as well. I really *like* cliffhangers, as long as I get to read the next part almost immediately. This is honestly done of the reasons I don't read many stories on the boards and wait for them to be done. (I'm actually just as likely to read all the parts from the mbs as I am to read from the archive - it's not about format, it's about completion.) I just can't wait to get to the next part. I'm the type of person who reads novels cover to cover too. I just don't like not knowing what is going to happen next. However, if the author has to break it anyway, I really have nothing against ending on a cliffhanger. It's a gread device, I just don't like them to wait too long to post the next part. (And you can't yell at me for not following my own advice, because from my second story on, I've never waited more than 1-2 days between sections <G>.)

Annie

Being a reporter is as much a diagnosis as a job description. ~Anna Quindlen
Columnist
Columnist
I'm in the 'other' category. I love writing cliffhangers and leaving my readers with them evil , but I don't really read stories in parts very often, precisely because I don't like the cliffhangers. Don't ask me how I survived the summer between S2 and S3 and then again between S3 and S4. I nearly worried myself (and my whole family) to death. sad

~Anna (who is posting from the on-campus computer lab and hoping that no one is looking over her shoulder to see that she is posting on a mbs for show that was cancelled 6 years ago)

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I `Can't wait to hunt down the author and wring their scrawny necks!!`

But seriously on the one hand I just kinda hate cliffhanger, I mean who doesn`t?? You don`t know what will happen and most of all you have to wait -most of the time- a whole week to see what`s gonna happen. And that can get really on my nerves, especially when I am writing an exam and can`t stop about the story all the time.

But on the other hand I kinda like them, because they make you want the part for a looonnnggg time and when the part is finally there you are really happy and content to just there and enjoy reading. That is till the next cliffhanger decides to come up laugh

sunshine

A friend is somebody that knows everything about you and still likes you
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
i voted "other." as a writer, i go by "always leave 'em wanting more." as a reader, i go by "what?? you can't leave me there!!" laugh

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
ROTLMAO! Yup, that pretty much sums it up, Paul!

rotflol

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
(who is posting from the on-campus computer lab and hoping that no one is looking over her shoulder to see that she is posting on a mbs for show that was cancelled 6 years ago)
ROFL!!! rotflol

As much as I don't like to be kept waiting (as far as I'm concerned, patience is NOT a virtue smile ), I do like cliffhangers because it leaves me wanting more.

There are, however, a couple of exceptions:
1. There is no major follow-up to the cliffhanger - i.e., it's really built up over nothing (see this past year's Friends cliffhanger I spent three months waiting for nada.)
2. There is no follow-up to the cliffhanger (the most evil of all ... I still have yet to forgive NBC for leaving Earth 2 fans in a lurch)

Interesting topic, thanks to Missy for posting this poll.

Elle Roberts

She's a dancer who doesn't dance. He's a painter who doesn't paint. It's like a bohemian version of the Island of Misfit Toys. – “Igby Goes Down”
A
Columnist
Columnist
A
~Anna (who is posting from the on-campus computer lab and hoping that no one is looking over her shoulder to see that she is posting on a mbs for show that was cancelled 6 years ago)
ROFL! You should see me when I post from the newsroom. I'm paranoid. My friends and coworkers would think I was seriously crazy.

Annie

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
oh, come on, guys! take it as an opportunity.

"uhm... Lois and Clark? hasn't that show been off the air for a while now...?"

"well, yeah, but it's really cool.. there are all these fans and they write stories and there are awards and...."

(half an hour later, after you've finished summing up how cool FoLCs are...)

"ooo! where do i sign up?"

laugh

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
Columnist
Columnist
1/2 an hour?! They'd have me in a straight jacket on my way to the looney bin before 30 minutes was up.

~Anna (who is now safely on her own PC, comforted by the fact that her roommate already thinks she's crazy)

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
LOL, Anna and Paul... this is one of the times I really appreciate having my own house and my own computer, and the only people who think I'm crazy are my own family, and they knew that already wink

On the other hand, it is kind of a distraction... I've heard a rumor that there's this thing called... housework? Gotta check that out one day laugh

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Top Banana
Top Banana
I went for "love them", but I hesitated with the option where I hunt down the author to wring their neck. I usually don't wring their neck... but I beg and beg and beg and beg some more until they agree to show me what comes then. evil

Kaethel evil

- I'm your partner. I'm your friend.
- Is that what we are?
- Oh, you know what? I don't know what we are. We kiss and then we never talk about it. We nearly die frozen in each other's arms, but we never talk about it, so no, I got no clue what we are.

~ Rick Castle and Kate Beckett ~ Knockout ~
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Originally posted by ChiefPam:
LOL, Anna and Paul... this is one of the times I really appreciate having my own house and my own computer, and the only people who think I'm crazy are my own family, and they knew that already wink

On the other hand, it is kind of a distraction... I've heard a rumor that there's this thing called... housework? Gotta check that out one day laugh

PJ
confused Housework? Oh right. That's the thing that would make my place clean if I stepped away from the internet for a few minutes.

PRO-CLIFFHANGER right here! I love cliffhangers, I love to hate the authors who write them, wildguy wildguy wildguy wildguy and I love pulling my hair out waiting for the next installment should I happen to read some WIPs.

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Merriwether
Merriwether
Originally posted by ChiefPam:
LOL! I knew we had more in common, Pam! rotflol

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
A
Columnist
Columnist
A
oh, come on, guys! take it as an opportunity.
Yeah, I know. I really should. But I don't think they would understand. I do think some of my friends know about my obsession, we just don't discuss it. They've all used my laptop, which has tons of lnc links in the favorites folder, and they've seen me working on my lnc website at times. We just don't talk about it. <G>

Annie

Blogger
Blogger
I'm with Shadow on this. I love cliffhangers! That's the fun of reading in installments, the suspense is great! goofy

Christine peep

I am a citizen of the world - Socrates
Top Banana
Top Banana
I'm one of those who love good cliffhangers. It's nice to read and a bit suspence never hurts. But then comes the moment (mostly right after reading the cliffhanger) that I wanna know what happens next. So I've learned to be patient since it's usually worth waiting.

But lately I found I'm getting a bit not-so-patient anymore. So I've started nagging. I'm afraid that second option will apply for me soon. wink

But good cliffhangers are always nice. Now if certain people would just hurry on and post more! laugh

Saskia

I tawt I taw a puddy cat!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard