This just came up on IRC and so I thought I'd make a poll out of it. <g>

Saskia

I tawt I taw a puddy cat!
#231023 04/28/03 10:20 AM
B
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
B
Well...do different keyboards on different computers count? O:-) I've got my laptop, my family is up to three home computers, not to mention all the computer labs at school... laugh

I've also learned not to drink while reading fic and I don't bang my head on the keyboard -- I need it! I bang on the wall, instead. wink

Bethy (who wants to know who it is that has lost count...)

I don't suffer from insanity...I enjoy every minute of it.
#231024 04/28/03 10:23 AM
Y
Top Banana
Top Banana
Y
I am so bad with keyboards - but not for any reasons listed. I ruined my laptop twice because I spilled water and Sprite on it (on two separate occasions). Then my best friend spilled her pop on it when we were studying together (for the third time!). Then I did the exact same thing to my desktop computer. Then my sister dropped her popsicle on my new desktop computer.

So, yeah, I am really irresponsible...

Alicia smile

Laura "The Yellow Dart" U. (Alicia U. on the archive)

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." -- Christopher Reeve
#231025 04/28/03 10:57 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Well, the one keyboard I blame completely on my sister - she's the one that spilled Sprite in it, with a little help from the idiot orange cat...

The one I hit too hard while reading was all my fault... laugh And I tend to spray the monitor while reading, leaving the keyboard nicely intact. <g>

And I can't afford a new laptop, so I'm very careful about that one - no liquids allowed anywhere near it while I'm reading fic, and I keep a pillow close by to scream into so that I don't have to hit the computer. wink

Jill goofy

Beaker: Special Talents: Scientific assistant, Victim
Last Book Read: "1001 Meeps to a Bigger Vocabulary"
Quote: "Meep! Meep! Meep!"
Never Leaves Home Without: Medical Coverage
#231026 04/28/03 11:43 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
And I can't afford a new laptop, so I'm very careful about that one - no liquids allowed anywhere near it while I'm reading fic, and I keep a pillow close by to scream into so that I don't have to hit the computer.
Amen to that. I've already had two near death experiences with my ltop (laptop, sorry just being weird...i still blame it on being sick). Anywho so yeah I spilled coffee on it the other day, which tells me not to touch anything when I'm sleep deprived. The other one was dropping the remote on the screen...could have cracked it if it fell any harder. Whew.

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
#231027 04/28/03 12:44 PM
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
Fun topic ...

it's nice to know i'm not the only klutz on the boards. laugh

Elle Roberts

She's a dancer who doesn't dance. He's a painter who doesn't paint. It's like a bohemian version of the Island of Misfit Toys. – “Igby Goes Down”
#231028 04/28/03 04:02 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Well, does the keyboard that I uh, almost cleaned to death count?

See, I pulled off all the keys, sprayed a rag with Fantastik, and wiped the surface down. (This was 10 years ago -- I know better now.) Then I put all the keys back. It wouldn't work any more!

When I called tech support (my father), he laughed at me. Then told me to take all the keys back off until it dried overnight. So I took them all back off AGAIN. And popped 'em back on in the morning. Then it worked!

But my poor fingers!

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
#231029 04/28/03 10:06 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Online Content
Hack from Nowheresville
I count to the 58% by `Just one, why would I need to have more`.

Although it is the money that makes repair it every time I slam my head against it laugh wink

sunshine

A friend is somebody that knows everything about you and still likes you
#231030 04/28/03 10:27 PM
Columnist
Columnist
Um I had to put 'lost count' as my vote - not because I was particularily rough on my keyboards, but because I use so many computers these days - at least three of the school's computers to access the internet, my laptop upstairs in my room for my archived fic, my friend's computer he's lending me - not yet hooked up, but we're trying to get it done soon, and I use it these days mainly for game playing - that is up in my room. Then back home in Canada, I've used both my mom's and dad's laptops on occasion to check my email. And then there was the computer I rented until I got my laptop. And then all the internet cafes I hung out at until I got the rental computer... Not to mention when the school's internet connection here is down, I have to find a pc-bahng (internet cafe) to keep my mailbox from overflowing...

So you see, it's impossible for me to keep track of all the keyboards I've had...

Melisma (slinking back under her Rock, really wishing she could get back on IRC - your discussions are sounding like something not to miss blush )

dance dance

Do, or do not. There is no try.
- Yoda
#231031 04/29/03 01:44 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Actually, judging by the answer choices, I'm guessing Saskia actually means 'how many keyboards have you broken?'

Yvonne
(having been in IT for 18 years, I've probably *used* more keyboards that I've had hot dinners wink )

#231032 04/29/03 01:57 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Yeah, I voted for just the one, although between 2 home pc's and numerous different PC's in the uni computing labs, I've lost count!

Loriel

"Inappropriate attachment" didn't begin to cover the depth of the feelings Vaughn had for Sydney Bristow.
~Ties That Bind by RJ Anderson~

I ramble at http://www.livejournal.com/~loriel_eris
#231033 04/29/03 02:00 AM
Saskia Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Yes, Yvonne, that's exactly what I mean. Silly me should learn not to post when it's rather late and I'm supposed to be in bed. This is what you get then.

Anyway, I've only used one keyboard so far. I learned pretty fast that it's not good to spill drinks over a keyboard, and I really don't have money to buy a new laptop. So I'll think twice before doing such a thing.

There is a good way to solve the problem. If you are reading and drinking at the same time and you suddenly need to laugh, it is possible to keep the drink in your mouth. Just one thing, try to swallow as soon as possible or you'll end up gasping for air and coughing a lot and the result is still the same. (I spent to much time with my best friend, I know wink )

Saskia

I tawt I taw a puddy cat!
#231034 04/29/03 02:24 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Broken? Whoops. I haven't broken any yet. But I've own(ed) 5 computers total so far, two of them sharing the same keyboard right now. Not to mention work computers, school computers, friends computers, etc.

Easiest way to get keys off a keyboard is to find a flat metal object (knife, key, etc) and use it to pry the keys off. I usually use rubbing alcohol and q-tips to clean, as the alcohol dries fast, and it disinfects!

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
#231035 04/29/03 04:43 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
juice and crumbs make for a gluey type cement in keyboards... did you know that? I do now, I found out after my son spilled juice and cookies all over my keyboard and then the keys would not work... I actually have only had three break on me and two were not my fault... one was, i was tired and drinking dr pepper and spilled the entire glass onto the keyboard... did you know that can fry the motherboard as well?

Marns
~pobody's nerfect
#231036 04/29/03 05:21 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I can understand breaking keyboards in frustration. I haven't quite, but come very close in 20 years of frustration with Windows Operating system.

My NEW keyboard is sitting on my desk waiting to be used. I just got a new IR keyboard and mouse so I guess that's ONE MORE laugh

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard