I've liked the Opera browser for many years and supported it when it was shareware. But I'd been having some trouble with the version 12 (crashes etc.) and a few days ago decided to check if there was a later version. It turns out that they've gone from 12.16 (I think) to 18.0 without rolling out the intermediate versions to their users in what is normally an automated update cycle. Unfortunately it turns out that there's a good reason for that - the change is not an improvement.

First, there's no bookmarks menu. Yes, you read that right - you can save a few sites in a phone dialler thingy, but that's about it. To make matters worse, the download site lies about this and says you can use your bookmarks - then doesn't let you access them once you've "upgraded".

Second, you can't set up other programs to open files. You want to open ebooks with Calibre? Tough luck, all you can do is save the files. You want to open torrent files? Opera will do that for you - but it won't let you use uTorrent or another half-way decent torrent client, and Opera's built-in torrent client is not good. If you want to use an email client that isn't Opera's add-on program you're out of luck. It doesn't even seem to want to let me open PDFs directly, but that may be because my PC is set up to use Actobat to open PDFs, not Adobe Reader. I could go on, but you get the idea.

Third, there's no "open file" menu. You can save web pages but you can't re-open them, you have to navigate to them in Windows explorer, click on them, etc.

There are other problems, which seem to amount to a massive amount of dumbing down to make the program easy to use with tablet PCs and mobile phones. It's pretty, and appears to be fairly stable, but the problems are bad enough that I'm changing to Firefox as my default browser

Bottom line, I'd strongly recommend steering clear of this monstrosity unless you find sites that won't open with anything else.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game