Disclaimer: This is really technical!

Hi! I was wondering whether to shoot an e-mail or just post. Well, posting won out, so here it goes.

The board's using Latin-1 (ISO-8859-1) encoding, as advertised by the meta-tag in the pages and the server's response headers. Unfortunately, special characters such as the ellipsis (which are very prevalent in LnC dialogue wink ) aren't valid Latin-1 characters. Now, web-browsers, Windows Notepad, etc all display things just fine, probably as a defense mechanism against non-standard-conform web sites. Unfortunately, my new e-book reader got a webpage-to-ebook option (that's actually quite fortunate) and hides characters that are not part of the advertised encoding.

The easy solution would be to upgrade the board to UTF-8, which would display everything as needed. Well, easy for the reader side. My hope is that such a switch is technically feasible with the board software (did a very quick check online and we wouldn't be the first UBB board to consider this) and our great and awesome (TM) admins have the time to look into it.

I am also looking into the reader side, maybe get a bugfix/feature-request accepted with the reader, since it's a common situation out there in the wild.

Many thanks!
wave Michael

Edit: Okay, apparently the reason why the web pages usually work, at least in Windows, is because of the code page Windows-1252 ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows-1252 ) which appears to be inferred automatically for backwards compatibility etc in Internet Explorer, Firefox, et al. Dunno how this goes for Mac and Linux systems, though.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.