Next Thread
Print Thread
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi!

I do realize that it's probably just a fantasy, but...what if the forums sent new stories automatically to your Kindle?

Unless I'm mistaken, you can sign up using a kindle-username@free.kindle.com and it will only transfer when you're connected via wifi and thus there is no charge. (there's also the whispernet version, which costs money)

Anyhow, all the forum would have to do is pack up the html-formatted story-post into a mobi-file and e-mail it to all users registered with their kindle addresses. Would of course require highlighting new story posts (which we already do) and a number of other updates to the forum software. But it would be a coooool feature. No idea if there's similar tricks available for Nook etc.

No, I don't have a Kindle, yet. Still using my mobile phone for reading but the new Paperwhite seems to be quite niiiiiice.

wave Michael

Edit: Of course, there's also the option of using an html-grabber from outside the forum... Hmm... /makes *very* careful note for new pet project/

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Intersting concept. I don't know if I'd want everything automatically downloaded to my Nook, though. While I love it sloppy , I still prefer to read the part postings on my desktop computer (due to the larger screen). I might be in the minority though.

If there was a way to click a box on a story (a TOC?) so that you could get notified via e-mail that a new part had posted (just like writers can get notified when a new FDK response has come in), I'd be all for that. Of course, I'm one of those crazy kids that consantly checking and reading the boards for new stuff, so this idea would almost be pointless for someone like me. blush

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I've been thinking about that box, too. Unfortunately, as the board software isn't designed as a Fanfic board... It could be added from the outside, though.

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.

Moderated by  Darth Michael 

Link Copied to Clipboard