Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#230701 07/19/12 02:25 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
I just got a new laptop not even a week old. Norton came with it for the first month and, a window opened saying that I'm using 100% of one CPU.

Because of this should I take back my new laptop and trade it in for a different one?

Love Is the One Thing That Never Ends.
#230702 07/20/12 01:13 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
You might need to see what's causing it. Right-click on the task bar, click on Task Manager, then on Processes, and see what's using the most CPU. You might need to uninstall the program, or if it's Norton, adjust the settings.

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
#230703 07/20/12 01:46 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
I tried the Task Manger and found it to be running at 100% about anytime I play a game, or some videos. And it seems to us alot CPU just sometimes running IE.

I really liked this laptop but I think it might have to go back. Because I have not added anything to it at all and, it's alright running hot. I have found out from Nortin logs that almost everytime Windows Updates the CPU runs hot.

I just got this laptop 5 days ago, so I really don't want to start having troubles with CPU right away.

#230704 07/20/12 09:51 AM
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hmm...did you do an internet search on your laptop's model? If it's a bad design, you should find reports from other buyers with the same issues.

The next option would be to do a clean install of Windows and just check it out. Virus protection products often have a bad reputation on their effect on the system's performance.

And last but not least, it really could be a hardware glitch of some kind.

Normally, though, any system produced in the past 3-4 years should be able to handle a browser or Windows Update. When the system is actually doing stuff like applying Windows Updates, it's quite possible to have your CPU go to 100% when it's in the lower end of the spectrum. It's only when the rest of the computer can't provide enough data that the CPU would go down and wait. Games, too, can be a burden. And playing videos. My own 2GHz CPU goes to 80% when playing videos.

The other question is heat. Smaller laptops are known to heat up more unless the manufacturer took care to build an expensive system using first grade hardware.

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
#230705 07/20/12 10:33 PM
Kerth
Kerth
It's entirely possible that the process using 100% of the CPU is Norton itself - it has a somewhat mixed reputation, and after some problems a few years ago I'd never use it.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
#230706 07/21/12 05:55 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
I returned it today it was a Toshiba and, I got it as a open box. I was told at the time it could have been a display model are it was a return but had been checked out and, nothing was wrong with it.

When I called back to talk to the tech guy I was inform from him that if it came with it's box and ac adapter it has been a return. Which would have been fine if it had been running right.

Also I was inform by the tech guy that the processer that was installed into it was a basic model and, that might have been way it was running slow.

And they told me that if it was a software probelm causing the high CPU that it would not be covered in my extra warr. Only hardware problems is covered with that.

But what really got me was I had not added any software or put any pictures or music on the laptop yet.If it was running hot with nothing but what came on the laptop I don't want to imagine how it would act with all my pictures on it.

I exchanged if for a Lenovo B570. I so far have only gotten to set it up. So I can not tell you how it runs.

#230707 07/22/12 12:32 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
I'm now on my second Lenovo the first one had some type of problem running McAfee which comes install on the laptop and the Dvd/Cd drive.

So far this second Lenovo b570 has not had that problem only have had it for a few hours though.

#230708 07/23/12 03:51 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Well the second Lenovo I could not get two of the Usb plugs to plug in. Took it back and the Customer service Lady turned it on it's side and, got the usb plugs to go in, but she had to pull hard to get it out. She said they were tight. But she was sure over time they would loosing up. I did not want to take the chance of breaking the usb port and, the warrent not covering it.

I just decided to exchange it for a Dell. So far I have tested the Dell out and their have been no problems. God willing this one will work.

The Lenovo had alot of things on it I liked. I just wished I could have gotten one that didn't have problems.

Moderated by  Darth Michael 

Link Copied to Clipboard