Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#230692 05/01/12 03:43 AM
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
As long as I've been writing you'd think I know how to do this...

I copied a text document into Word. And it looks like a text document. Now when I type in changes, the new text will go over much farther than the original test. And sometimes it creates breaks in sentences where I don't want them. It looks like this:

I have no idea what
I'm doing because I usually use Wordpad. I guess that might
be a mistake. But I know
now why I do.
My simple mind can't handle so many options! <bg>

My question is... how can I get the entire document to look uniform without the tedious line by line work?

Please help me!

SQD (thanks)

#230693 05/01/12 04:18 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Select All (CTRL A) and highlight *all* your text. Then move the right margin to where you want it. That will integrate the new text into the old text.
Or if you have .docx, go to "View" and "Draft" in a banner that appears when you click View. I do it all the time. I just realized I do it in .doc too. That's how I beta read versions side by side on the screen.
r/
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
#230694 05/01/12 04:42 AM
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
Tried those suggestions... not working. I copied a document into Word and it was set as text, which has the copied document short and choppy. When I edit, the sentences run longer, to the set margin. However, nothing I've tried resets the copied text. It's all short and choppy looking with sentences here and there that stretch out farther.

SQD

#230695 05/01/12 05:10 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I don't understand why it is doing that. Send me a hunk of both new a old on my e-mail and let me play with it. Somehow your text is locked. Do you have other options on how to save the original text? That might be the key.
r/
Artemis

#230696 05/01/12 05:11 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Okay, the problem is that for some reason in TXT format you have a carriage return at the end of each line. You can fix this easily, but it takes some steps:

Step One: Make sure you have an extra Carriage Return / paragraph break between each paragraph.

Step Two: Open the Find/Replace box (I usually use Cntl-F and then Click on the Replace tab).

Step Three: Replace each paragraph break with some funky symbol. So in the "Find What" box put:

^p^p

(^p = paragraph break in WORD computer speak)

In the "Replace With" box put your funky symbol. On my test run to see if this would work I used this symbol:

~

Step Four: Don't freak out!

Step Five: Now, replace all single carriage returns with nothing. So, in the "Find What" box put:

^p

And in the "Replace With" box put:

(that really means nothing, no space, nada)

Step Six: Don't Freak out! Now, we'll fix what looks like a mess.

Step Seven: Replace funky symbol with paragraph breaks again. So, in the "Find What" box put your funky symbol:

~

In the "Replace What" box put back your double carriage returns:

^p^p

Step Eight: Dance with Joy. wave

Hope this helps.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
#230697 05/01/12 05:14 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I think Virginia is probably right. That's what the major epub problem was. I could still play with it if you want. Send to jumpstick@earthlink.net . I have to go to a Dr. appt soon.
r/
Artemis

#230698 05/01/12 05:25 AM
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
Virginia,

Steps 4, 6, and 9 should be included in every how to manual where needed! clap

Thank you, thank you, thank you! (Now if I can just remember how to do that if it happens again! cat )

SQD (who has Double Jeopardy ready to go to archive, a rewrite waiting on go, and at least three more stories to edit- BUT (didn't you know there was one of those?) brand new laptop crashed two days in. Waiting on tech to come out. So frustrating!)

#230699 05/01/12 05:54 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Save Virginia's instructions! The carriage return was required in posting to the Archive before recent changes. Now they post in Word.
r/
Artemis

#230700 05/01/12 09:23 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by stopquitdont:
<strong> Virginia,

Steps 4, 6, and 9 should be included in every how to manual where needed! hyper New SQD stories!

Understand about the laptop. Still trying to get used to mine. At one point it froze and nothing helped, not even pressing the power button. Eventually I just popped out the battery and put it back in, good as new. Aren't these new technological things supposed to be a help, not a hendrence? :rolleyes: Much prefer my desktop, thank you very much.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.

Moderated by  Darth Michael 

Link Copied to Clipboard