Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#230660 09/23/11 08:04 PM
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
For some reason, Word has decided to switch my spelling checker to British English rather than American English. I thought I knew how to change it, but darn if I can figure out how now. Help!

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
#230661 09/23/11 09:19 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Try going into "Review". Then choose "Set Language" and select American English. I *think* that effects the spell checker but I might be wrong.

Hope this works!

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

#230662 09/24/11 07:30 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
This has happened to me, but it switched it over to Spanish! I find the best way to make sure that your entire document is spell checked in the correct language is on the HOME tab press the "Select" button and "Select All". Then do as DC suggested: Click on the Review tab and press the "Set Language" button and chose the correct language. Then SAVE your document to make sure these changes will remain the next time you open your story.

I found that if you just "set language" without selecting the entire document, it only "Sets Language" for that particular "spell check" word / session. And then will revert back to whatever it had chosen for your official language after you leave spell check.

I find saving often is always a good option. My WORD has been freezing during spell checking lately (very frustrating, must have something to do with my bad spelling :rolleyes: ) and if I don't SAVE before spell checking I am paranoid that I might lose everything I worked on before spell checking.

Hope this solves your problem. Good luck.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
#230663 09/24/11 10:51 AM
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
What version of Word are you using?

In Word 2007 (the one I have access to at home), you can click on the Office button and from there go into Word Options. The last of the Popular options lets you choose the language you wish to use.

Joy,
Lynn

#230664 11/15/11 05:44 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
ANOTHER MS WORD QUESTION (My apologies to Classicalla for highjacking her thread)

WORD Version 2007

Does anyone know how to switch the default font? It drives me crazy that every time I start a document I have to set it for my style.

VirginiaR.
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
#230665 11/15/11 11:01 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I believe you have to modify the Style. By default, Word uses the Normal style to format all texts. Make sure you are on the Home tab. Then, right-click on the Normal style and click Modify.
[img]http://floridawriters.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/modifynormal.jpg?w=387&h=198[/img]

In the dialog box change the font to your preferred font.
[Linked Image]

If you want to apply to every document from here on out click the radio button labeled "New documents based on this template" near the bottom of the Modify Style dialog, then click OK.
[Linked Image]

Hope his works.

Andreia

"My wife's love is what unites Krypton and Earth in my heart. Without it, without her, I truly would be in hell."

~ Superman: Man of Tomorrow #15
#230666 11/16/11 07:37 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Thanks, Ultra Woman! thumbsup That does the trick. I wish I had asked this question months ago.

VirginiaR.
---
#230667 11/16/11 11:38 PM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Yes, thanks for these replies. I have an older version of WORD and just the other day was being driven crazy by the fact that it seemed to have switched to UK English and I couldn't get it to stick on US while I was editing a story from a US author.

Course, I was doing just that - fixing it on the spell check, so it was obviously reverting back as soon as I came out. Now I know to select all text first, it should be fine.

Thanks!

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers

Moderated by  Darth Michael 

Link Copied to Clipboard