Hi all,

I just thought I'd share with you two apps I've found very useful: Documents 2 Free and Speak It! Text to Speech Together, they are letting me listen to fanfic on my daily commute.

Speak It! Text to Speech is a text to speech synthesizer. It sounds at least as good as the synthesizer on the Kindle, and it only costs US$1.99. It does have its quirks in intonation, but one can get used to them fairly quickly. And it does pronounce an occasion word wrong. There is one oddity of pronunciation that makes me smile every time: 'Smallville' sounds like 'Smellville'. But for the price, it does an outstanding job.

Unfortunately, one can not open a file in it. You have to open the file in another app, copy its contents, and then paste the copied text into the Speak It! app. That's where the free app Documents 2 Free comes in. I open a text document, copy its contents, paste them into the speech synthesis program, and I'm all set for my daily commute. I've started listening to a lot of archived fanfic in this manner.

I am not affiliated with the makers of either of these apps. I just thought I'd pass along a way I've found to enjoy some fanfic inexpensively.

Joy,
Lynn