Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#230515 04/14/10 05:26 PM
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Can anyone help with mIRC? I'm probably making this too difficult, but I downloaded the program, and now can't figure out how to get the Undernet server like it says to do in the other thread about using mIRC.

Any suggestions for a newbie?

#230516 04/15/10 12:16 AM
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Originally posted by IolantheAlias:
Can anyone help with mIRC? I'm probably making this too difficult, but I downloaded the program, and now can't figure out how to get the Undernet server like it says to do in the other thread about using mIRC.
I was having problems, too, until someone suggested simply trying to join irc.undernet.org rather than trying to connect to a specific site. That did the trick for me. I hope it works for you, too.

I hadn't wanted to use trialware, nor did I wish to pay for a chat program (since I am not likely to use it often). So I am using the program Trillian (available via downloads.com.) So far, it looks like a good program.

cheers,
Lynn

#230517 04/15/10 01:51 AM
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
In mIRC - if you go to the Options [it's the hammer], go to connect then servers. From the list, pick undernet, then select. That should take you back to the connect menu. Click connect.

In *my* experience, the webbased chats are unstable and don't work well for long periods of time.

mIRC is available for download for free for 30 days. After that, it really is fairly simple to continue to use without paying for it [though harder than it used to be]. If you're only using it once a year for Kerths, uninstall for a year, then reinstall would work too of course. I think I used mine for about 6mos before I paid for it [10 bucks which was well worth it to me as I do use it regularly].

Carol

#230518 04/15/10 02:47 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
This is a better fit in How-To, so I'm moving the thread. laugh

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
#230519 04/15/10 04:54 PM
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
In mIRC - if you go to the Options [it's the hammer], go to connect then servers. From the list, pick undernet, then select. That should take you back to the connect menu. Click connect.
I did that, then it's asking for a channel name. Can I pick it off the list?

On the instructions it says to type " /join #kerthawards " - is that what I do next?

#230520 04/16/10 12:25 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I'm a total newbie here too, but my copy of mIRC is not letting me type in the /join command, instead it gives me a pop-up box to type in the channel name and click on Join. So that might be what you need to do.

#230521 04/16/10 02:11 AM
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
You should be able to close the channel popup box, either by clicking the X or esc. There's a way to make it stop showing up all together but... I think there's a 'don't show on connect' or something check box.

The Kerth channels will only be open Saturday - not sure what time Karen [IRC Techie Extraordinaire] will open them but quite some time before they actually start.

In the meantime, join us in #loisclark smile . No password needed. There's always a couple of us there, though sometimes we're more active than others wink .

None of our channels are on the popup list, iirc.

#230522 04/21/10 11:36 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Wooohooo! My mIRC connected on Windows7 and I'm all set to go. And I found my command list! Amazing, what I've forgotten. My registration worked!
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
#230523 08/25/10 01:03 PM
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
I just got Trillian, but I can't figure out how to use IRC on it. Can someone help? help Thanks! smile

~*Monica*~

"Being with you is stronger than me alone."
#230524 08/25/10 04:46 PM
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Here's a link that might help but our channel techie guru is in bed for the night and may be able to help tomorrow...

Use IRC on Trillian - keep in mind that we're on an Undernet server smile .

#230525 08/26/10 09:40 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Oops, knew I was forgetting something today.

Okay, Undernet makes this slightly tricky, because of ident settings.

Go into Manage My Connections.
Click on Add New Connection, and select IRC
Account name is just a generic name
Nick Name would be what you want your nick to be
Server Host - click on the ..., then click on the + next to Undernet and select a host

Don't click on connect yet!

Click on Settings
In the Ident settings, change the User ID to what your username on your computer is. If you have to click on your name when you log into your computer, enter that.

Click on Back, then connect. The best way to find out if there's a connection issue is to go to the main window, click on the circle for IRC, then click on Show Status Window. That will show all of the IRC connection messages.

Once you're connected, click on the IRC circle, then click on Join a Channel. Enter the channel name beginning with a # (such as #loisclark), enter a password if the channel requires one, then click on Join. A channel window will pop up, and the fun begins! smile

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited

Moderated by  Darth Michael 

Link Copied to Clipboard