Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#230454 01/17/10 04:11 AM
malu Offline OP
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
How many of you use and have updated your Skype in the last 6 months? I just wanted to give a heads-up.

I decided to open my Skype today after a few months, and Skype version 4.1 automatically updated. When it was done, something called "The Browser Highlighter" showed on my desktop.

A red flag immediately went up in my head: where did it come from? I never heard of it and didn't want it in my computer. Besides, it's a product from EBAY and I don't use EBAY.

Doing a search on Google, I found that Skype 4.1 has been automatically installing this add-on without user's permission for quite a while. That is ridiculous!

Since I don't know what it does, I don't want it in my computer. I went to the "Programs and Features" list, found "Browser Highlighter" and uninstalled it. Was asked to reboot my machine. I think it has been removed.

I just hope nothing else was installed without my permission (such as a spyware) through Skype.

malu

#230455 01/18/10 10:25 AM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Just for the record, here's what it does

Browser Highlighter

The Browser Highlighter is a browser extension designed to simplify your web surfing experience. If you look closely at your browser menu you’ll see a button that looks like a yellow highlighter…that’s it! That little button looks at the pages you visit and highlights things like phone numbers, forms and products. By pointing out where the important stuff is, the Browser Highlighter takes the legwork out of surfing the net. Here is a list of some of the cool features that come with the Browser Highlighter:

* Compare on eBay
* Skype Phone Number Recognition
* Highlighter Shortcuts
* Alerts
Developer Comments

Many people are asking where they received The Browser Highlighter. If you did not add it here, or go to BrowserHighlighter.com to get your free copy - you most likely downloaded it with the new version of Skype. A window popped up with similar verbiage above, asking if you wanted the Browser Highlighter installed. Please see the website for more information on the product including our help site with FAQs and eBays 24-hour technical support.
Seems benign enough, but I, too, like to go seek this kind of thing and then decide if I want to add it, rather than having it sneaked onto my pc when I'm supposed to be dl other things. razz

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#230456 01/19/10 05:30 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Looking at the pages we visit, phone numbers etc... Sounds like spyware to me. But it hasn't been that long since I used Skype and I don't seem to have the browser highlighter.

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
#230457 01/19/10 05:41 PM
malu Offline OP
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
It's on version 4.1. I already had that version, but Skype did an automatic update and downloaded and installed it without asking if I wanted this new "feature". That's why I was so concerned. What else could they be "installing" in my computer?

malu

#230458 01/20/10 01:29 AM
malu Offline OP
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
As I read the quote you posted more carefully, LabRat, I noticed that they actually say
A window popped up with similar verbiage above, asking if you wanted the Browser Highlighter installed.
That is such a lie. That is the whole point of my ranting. Nowhere, before it was already installed, had I heard of this Browser Highlighter. And looking at some forums out there, people noticed this too, and are outraged.

malu

#230459 01/20/10 12:08 PM
Kerth
Kerth
Apparently it causes major problems on quite a few web pages and sites - for example, people are being banned from playing World Of Warcraft because it lets third party spam in.

It can also be a swine to remove - there are some suggestions in the third comment on this page

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/11808

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
#230460 01/20/10 12:35 PM
malu Offline OP
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
It can be uninstalled through "Programs and Features" in the Control Panel (Windows Vista). That's how I uninstalled it.

malu

Moderated by  Darth Michael 

Link Copied to Clipboard