Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Hi guys

I'm on vacation in NY and the glass of my Tablet broke during the flight has anyone an idea where I can bring it for repair I don't want to replace it because it took so long until I found one. (It is a Toshiba portégé about 4 or 5 years old)

Kathryn
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Checked with my geek husband - he tells me that repairing an old Tablet really isn't worth it, assuming you could get it repaired at all. It's very easy to get new ones now - when you bought yours they had only just come out and now they're everywhere. Also, you're in New York and you'd probably get it cheaper there than in Germany, and of course it would be a far, far better spec. For example, an excellent HP Tablet with five-star reviews is $1050 at Best Buy - convert that into €!), and there are cheaper models too.

If you're not in a position to buy online (check slickdeals.net) for any current special offers, talk to people in shops like Best Buy. He also recommends looking at Ultraportable laptops - very light, very thin (more so than Tablets), just not with a touch-sensitive screen.

Good luck!

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Thanks for answering, Wendy. That's exactly what I feared. :-)
I also thought about buying a new one but the problem is that Germany uses other power-outlets and we have another voltage here it is 110V and Germany has 230V. America has also different a keyboard-layout but that should be no problem.
But I'll start looking for a new one.

Kathryn
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Laptops usually have a universal power supply - that brick-like thing that is attached to the power-cord. All you need to do is buy a new extension to that power-cord which has the European plug on it. And you can get a replacement for the full power supply anyway. Not a big deal.

Good luck!

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Features Writer
Features Writer
Related to Wendy's comment on the universal power supply:

At least with my laptop (a 3-year old Dell Inspiron), the AC adapter accepts input voltage of 110V-240V. I think all you would need (maybe) is a plug adapter, which I'm pretty sure you can buy for very cheap.

malu

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Also most AC adapters have the same power-cord style, namely C7 , so you shouldn't have any trouble replacing the power cord. They're call Kleingerätestecker in German.

Michael

PS: And thanks, now I know both the German and the English name for those smile

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Kerth
Kerth
Interesting point re the C7:

A lot of Apple's white power adaptors have a special slide-on adaptor for the different common mains plugs. It looks very unusual. But if you look a little closer it's just a C7 mounted in a block of plastic which slides onto the casing of the power supply - if you don't mind it looking a bit ugly, you can just plug a standard C7 lead in instead.

This was very handy when a friend came over from the USA without the British adaptor...

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Thank you for all you advices I finally decided to buy a new one.
Btw it is a Toshiba Portege again but the new one has only 1,5Ghz (the other had 1,8Ghz) is that a significant difference? A friend of mine said that it would be ok because I just need it for school (and for visiting the boards ) laugh

Kathryn
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Actually, present day CPU-models are faster then those from a few years ago even when they have a lower clock-setting. And as your friend said, 1.5GHz or 1.85GHz won't make a noticeable difference for office and web usage.

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.

Moderated by  Darth Michael 

Link Copied to Clipboard