Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#230091 03/08/08 06:21 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Last week I had to reload Windows Vista Basic to my laptop. (which wasn't that hard I only had a glitch at the end because I wasn't able to get online I'm on pay WiFi and Toshiba wanted as part of their finally conf. to get online. I had already talked to Toshiba early they talked me through the first steps of reloading Vista so I called them again and they told me how to put the laptop in safemode and then it finally loaded up right.)

My qustion to everyone who has Vista what commen Glitchs are you having? I notice almost right away that some of the games were glitching they weren't come off different saved games and the size of the screen would go from small to large on it's own.

I also just happened to notice that the search google on the task bar just disappeared. The Toshiba Flash cards come up all the time for no reason sometimes they stick but since I reloaded Vista it hasn't stuck.

So come on share your glitches with me let me know I'm not the only one that having trouble with Vista out there lol.

Love Is the One Thing That Never Ends.
#230092 03/08/08 07:26 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Well... I bought a new computer last August and since then I have had to reinstall Vista for three or four times. mad The first time, I couldn't get it to record DVDs. The technical assistance told me to reinstall Vista. I reinstalled it and still didn't work. After months fighting with the store, I convinced them to test the driver and they admitted it was a defective driver. mad mad They got it changed and now it's working fine with DVDs.

Some months after, I tried to make some captures from VHS and it didn't work. My computer has capture board and should be able to capture from VHS. I got in contact with technical assistance and they told me to reinstall the driver. I tried it with no success. Got in contact with them again. Their solution: reinstall Vista. grumble Reinstalled and got it working.

After it, one day the Windows sounds simply disappeared. Media Player would work, but all the others sounds went mute. I tried everything imaginable and nothing. Imagine the solution: reinstall Vista. sad

"My wife's love is what unites Krypton and Earth in my heart. Without it, without her, I truly would be in hell."

~ Superman: Man of Tomorrow #15
#230093 03/08/08 07:42 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Sounds like a nightmare you've been through with it.

I was telling my Mother that Window Xp was way better with glitching at least it was on my desktop and old laptop at least with Xp I would get a heads up something was wrong it would get slow are error messages would appare but not with Vista this laptop acts fine then I shut it off and come back a few hours later turn it on and it wouldn't let internet exlporer work. Or the control panel come up.

#230094 03/14/08 09:40 PM
Columnist
Columnist
I hate Vista. I've had my new computer since mid-December. Other than the fact that I haven't gotten all my hardware installed - can't get some of it to work right or at all. One person told me I would have to buy new - like I have the money to replace all the different hardware I have. But my biggest complaint is that I will be working and my screen goes black and when it comes back up I have an error message about a driver not working and that Vista reinstalled it or fixed or whatever. Of course in the error message I can't usually figure out what the driver was for, which means I can't go see if there is an updated driver.

Also, searches were much easier to do in Windows '98. I have to say that version was my favorite. I got so mad trying to do a search Thursday night that I sent Microsoft an email telling them that all the different versions of Windows were stupid and that bigger is not necessarily better and that they should have stopped at '98 but definitely at XP. That all they accomplished with Vista was a SCREWED UP MESS.(I capitalized those words to them). I haven't heard from them. razz

#230095 03/15/08 01:19 AM
Kerth
Kerth
If I ever reach the point where there is no alternative than Vista if I want to keep using Windows, that's when I'll switch to Linux. My game plan is to wait it out and pray that whatever comes after Vista is better.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
#230096 03/15/08 12:52 PM
Features Writer
Features Writer
I've heard that it is possible to install a DOWNGRADE from Vista to XP. Maybe those of you who are having lots of trouble with Vista could think of that as an option.

malu

#230097 03/15/08 02:22 PM
T
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
T
I have Vista Premium. At first Zoo Tycoon 2 would crash the computer, but after I got the patch for that, it's been smooth sailing. I've had this computer (which came with Vista) since May 2007 and no problems.

Did have to switch to a different image-mount program. Daemon tools works fine.

I did have to turn off the annoying protection thing, though. And I did get a computer that could handle it. I know some laptops only had 512 of memory and I thought that probably wouldn't run Vista very well.

I've been fortunately glitch-free though (knock on wood), since I got all my patches for older software when I initially go the computer.

I know my uncle is having trouble with a printer connected to his XP computer being used by any of the Vista computers on his network.

#230098 04/05/08 06:58 AM
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
Most of my problems turned out not to be with Windows Vista but with CA, the firewall/security system that came along for the ride.

Elisabeth

#230099 05/06/08 02:52 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Now I'm having trouble with my clock losing time it keeps getting slower and slowers. And once again The google search box disappeared one day all on it's own.

#230100 06/01/08 07:55 PM
C
Kerth
Kerth
C
I can't stand Vista. Once I tried to play a DVD, but it told me that the region was wrong. Well the DVD was R4 and the DVD player properties were set to R4! I had to reset it to make it work.

Another thing I hate is that all the software I had for my printer and router doesn't work so I was resorted to setting on my laptop which is XP when I'd been hoping to use it wirelessly.

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched they must be felt with the heart

Helen Keller
#230101 06/02/08 12:31 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
It's insanely sloooooow. I think Vista alone eats up every last byte of my RAM. My laptop (with Vista) has twice the RAM of my desktop (with XP) and it moves eons slower when I start dealing with multiple applications.

#230102 06/02/08 07:20 AM
Kerth
Kerth
There's apparently a new one where some Vista media center PCs are refusing to record TV shows because they have some sort of electronic tag set that tells Vista they are broadcast shows. There isn't even a legal requirement that the tag should be recognized, and most VCRs etc. ignore it.

Later: Found the report:

While its customers are still puzzling over why Vista Media Center is suddenly refusing to record over-the-air NBC digital TV, Microsoft has come out with an astounding admission, courtesy of Greg Sandoval at CNet News:

"Microsoft included technologies in Windows based on rules set forth by the (Federal Communications Commission)," a Microsoft spokeswoman wrote in an e-mail to CNET News.com. "As part of these regulations, Windows Media Center fully adheres to the flags used by broadcasters and content owners to determine how their content is distributed and consumed."

Microsoft's statement shines light on how Microsoft expects Media Center to behave. If this is the company's explanation for what users are seeing when attempting to record digital NBC broadcasts over-the-air, then Microsoft is saying Vista obeys the broadcast flag: a requirement rejected by courts and Congress.

http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2008/05/microsofts-masters-whose-rules-does-your-media-cen

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game

Moderated by  Darth Michael 

Link Copied to Clipboard