Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#229892 09/16/07 06:28 PM
Julie S Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Hi, folcs. I'm turning to this forum because in my experience, there is no problem you can't fix. So I'm begging you, don't make mine the exception. goofy

Here's the problem: I'm a fresh user of Windows Movie Maker. Or, rather, I would like to be a WMM user, if it ever lets me import my files. (Maybe it can sense I'm planning to use it to create angst.)

The files I'm trying to import are all divx .avis, which according to one WMM help site, is a format WMM often has problems with, and suggests converting it as the only solution, but I'm wondering if there's another. As I'm not looking forward to spending time converting 16 (and then more) 350 MB files. I have school and stuff to worry about, heh.

The error I'm getting, when I try to import a file, is this:

The file C:\Documents and Settings\the rest of it.avi cannot be imported because the codec required to play the file is not installed on your computer. If you have already tried to download and install the codec, close and restart Windows Movie Maker, and then try to import the file again.

I've enabled the option to automatically look for codecs. I shut down the program and re-tried at least 5 times now, with two different files (same format). I also got on my knees and begged, in case that worked, but it didn't.

The .mp3 I imported, imported fine, by the way. I have the right codecs to play the file on Windows Media Player, although this is a brand new laptop so I only have the one codec pack so far, which may not do the whole job. Or something along those lines.

Oh, and this is a Windows XP Dell laptop with SP2. I can't think of anything else to supply. Hopefully, someone smarter than me here will shed some light on how I can coax my laptop to let me start vidding! Or provide a miracle. I'll take either.

Julie smile

Mulder: Imagine if you could come back and take out five people who had caused you to suffer. Who would they be?
Scully: I only get five?
Mulder: I remembered your birthday this year, didn't I, Scully?

(The X-Files)
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Obvious solution: go to divx.com and install the codec. Worth a shot if you haven't already.

Other solution: Get a batch converter. Something like Divx converter , but which does the opposite. I'm sure there must be one out there, with at least a reasonable trial period.

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
Julie S Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Oh, Paul, thank you!! smile1

Mulder: Imagine if you could come back and take out five people who had caused you to suffer. Who would they be?
Scully: I only get five?
Mulder: I remembered your birthday this year, didn't I, Scully?

(The X-Files)

Moderated by  Darth Michael 

Link Copied to Clipboard