Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#229840 08/21/07 11:18 AM
malu Offline OP
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Recently it seems that the posts in the boards have some extra spacing between the member information (avatar) and the post itself.

I thought originally that it was due to extra-long lines in a post, but now *every* topic has the extra spacing.

Is this due to some user's avatar size being over 100 pixels in at least one dimension?

malu

#229841 08/22/07 07:45 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I'm not noticing this problem/change. Any chance it could be your own computer or browser settings? confused

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." Chris Reeve

"Whatever comes our way, whatever battle we have raging inside us, we always have a choice. It's the choices that make us who we are, and we can always choose to do what's right." Peter Parker

DON'T DOUBT THE ROUTH
#229842 08/22/07 08:23 AM
malu Offline OP
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
This is what I'm seeing (the image was reduced to fit the boards):

[Linked Image]

Do you have that large space between the avatars and the post itself?

I didn't use to have that much space before.

UPDATE: My computer has a widescreen (15.4"). If I reduce the width of the window (by resizing it), the space changes.

malu

#229843 08/22/07 09:22 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Yep. That looks like exactly what I see on my computer, and it's the same as it's always been. I have a regular 17 inch sized monitor.

If you have a widescreen and your settings are set to reflect that, my guess is the layout of the boards are just "popping" into place to match your computer.

As long as you don't have any horizontal scrolling on your screen - which is what I thought you were complaining about - I'm not sure I see the issue? huh

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." Chris Reeve

"Whatever comes our way, whatever battle we have raging inside us, we always have a choice. It's the choices that make us who we are, and we can always choose to do what's right." Peter Parker

DON'T DOUBT THE ROUTH
#229844 08/22/07 10:13 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
From what I can see, the text field's width is set to fit your screen, but has a maximum value. If it reaches that value, the text field doesn't "grow" any further and is just aligned to the right side of your screen (while the avatars are still aligned to the left), creating that space you were talking about.

I love the smell of fear in the newsroom.
#229845 08/22/07 10:25 AM
malu Offline OP
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
The interesting thing is that I only started seeing this extra space a few weeks ago. I've had this widescreen for a couple of years now.

Some time ago, there was a problem with avatars being too big in these boards that were messing up with the structure of the posts. That's why I asked.

Oh, well, if this is normal, then let it be.

malu

#229846 08/22/07 10:56 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Hmm, that's strange.

Well, anyway, unless this bothers you so much you have to go see a psychiatrist (which I hope is not the case goofy ), I guess life goes on with extra spacing wink

I love the smell of fear in the newsroom.
#229847 08/22/07 05:25 PM
malu Offline OP
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
I think I might have figured out why there is so much space (and yes, it has to do with widescreen format, and also screen resolution).

I was looking at the Page Source, and noticed that the width for that column at each post is 18%. So when you resize the page, the relative width will change (while the text and pictures stay the same size).

I also noticed that the content part of the post (the part with the member's actual text) does not have a size constraint on the column width.

That is also why, when a too-wide picture or extra-long text are posted and the data does not fit the window, the page gets a wider look (everything gets stretched out because of percentage).

I just wanted to ask the administrators if anything was changed recently, or if it was just me not paying attention before. smile

Thanks.

malu

#229848 08/23/07 07:13 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I have two monitors and just for grins, I widened the 'window' to extend to both screens. Yep, you guessed it, the space between the avatars and the text got really big!

James

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!

Moderated by  Darth Michael 

Link Copied to Clipboard