Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#229710 08/01/07 02:08 AM
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
I was wondering if anyone might have suggestions for what might be wrong with my PC and how to fix it. For no apparent reason, PC has started to freeze up. Won't do a thing! I have to unplug it to get it going again. I thought I'd fixed the problem yesterday (happened the first time Monday night). It booted back up, so I cleaned it up- scanned for bugs, emptied temporary files, defragged, etc. Would you think it needs more cleaning? Kicked hard? Tossed out the window? I have Windows XP operating system.

SQD (who just can't get over how much her fellow FOLC's know)

#229711 08/01/07 03:34 AM
Blogger
Blogger
Have you tried checking how many programs you have running at once? Paring these down, especially the ones that automatically start on power up can help, but it's the only thing I can think of (besides the kicking, which actually is more of stress reliever than an actual computer freezing remedy).

Nina

Danny: I see you in a uniform, flying. Have you ever considered a career in the Air Force?
Clark: Um...I'll think about it.
- From Smallville, episode Crush
#229712 08/01/07 03:40 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I have XP also. Clear out your cookies and check your number of programs running like Nina suggested. Instead of just unplugging your computer (hard shutdown), use CNTRL-ALT-DEL. It will give you a box listing your nunning programs and which ones you want to end. And also check which programs open on start-up. Shut down your computer every night and start it in the morning so you revert to your default set up.
Hope this helps
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
#229713 08/01/07 05:00 AM
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
When I said I have to unplug it, it's because not even CNTRL-ALT-DEL works. It just does nothing! And when it's froze up, the only thing running (except maybe programs that start automatically) is the screen saver. The first time it happened, when I pulled the plug and booted it back up, it got to a certain point and stopped. It hadn't even finished loading my settings.

SQD

#229714 08/01/07 05:10 AM
S
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
S
SQD, It doesn't sound good. How old is the computer? If it ever does boot up again, you might want to get everything off of it that you want. You may need a burial.

#229715 08/01/07 05:11 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Have you tried any cleaning programs that look for SPYWARE? Spyware can really bog a computer down after a while and it's not something that your anti-virus software would catch.

Two programs that I use are:

AdAware SE

and

Spybot Search and Destroy

These programs are freeware and you can download them. To be safe, I would download them from a reputable site like www.pcworld.com. Just search for AdAware and Spybot and it will pull them up for you.

I would run Spybot first because it gives you the option to create a "restore point" should anything get deleted that shouldn't have. Then you can run it and clean up the spyware. After that you can run AdAware - both programs often find things that the other program missed. That's why I use both.

Hope that info helps.

-- DJ

P.S. - If Ctrl-Alt-Del doesn't work, instead of just unplugging the computer, have you tried holding down the power button for about 5 seconds? When I have to do a "hard" shutdown, that's what I do... I don't know if it's actually any easier on the PC than pulling the plug - but it makes me feel better <LOL>

Smile and the world smiles with you ... frown and you're just giving yourself wrinkles.
#229716 08/01/07 06:17 AM
Features Writer
Features Writer
I don't know if anyone else has ever used it, but besides AdAware and Spybot, I also have for cleaning CCleaner, which also has options of removing ALL cookies, temp files, and other things.

One thing I VERY STRONGLY suggest (if you don't have it already), is a firewall. I have ZoneAlarm in my laptop, and it significantly reduced problems with my computer after I installed it.

By the way, you do have an anti-virus installed, right? There is a free one you can use online (I think it's pretty good), and it downloads updates everyday automatically. It's AVG Antivirus (I have the free edition). You can find it here .

If your computer is freezing when the screen saver is on, did you think about turning the screen saver off? On the Desktop, right-click on the wallpaper and select "Properties". You'll be able to change your screen saver setting under the tab "Screen Saver".

Good luck, and don't be afraid of asking for help when you need it, ever. wave

malu

P.S.: Oooh, I just became a "Columnist"!!!

#229717 08/01/07 07:30 AM
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
Have all the spyware stuff-- had to reformat a few years ago. Learned my lesson there. Have the virus, the cleaner, the everything! Ran all that. Cleaned everything out. Even restored to the system to when it was working good. Was doing good for a while, but started freezing up again today.

Now I'm on my laptop trying to figure it out. I'm seriously thinking about that burial. Can I recover data in safe mode? It was booting in safe mode earlier. Whether it does it now or not is a different story.

SQD (who is about ready to head out to the computer store- and I think this thing is 5 or so years old, if that)

#229718 08/01/07 07:52 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Yes, I'm pretty sure you can access documents, pictures, and items like that from safe mode.

Have fun shopping SQD!

-- DJ

Smile and the world smiles with you ... frown and you're just giving yourself wrinkles.
#229719 08/01/07 08:33 AM
S
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
S
My husband just had a computer that everything but the hard drive died. A computer place was able to take the hard drive and download document and things like that on to disks for him.

#229720 08/01/07 06:38 PM
Columnist
Columnist
Do you have Register Mechanic. I'd had some problems - not freezing but when you add, delete etc programs and such on your computer stuff gets left in your registry that messes it up and the computer won't run right. Several people and PW World magazine suggest running a program that will clean up your registry. You can download a trial that will tell you who many registry problems you have but to fix them all you have to buy the progrom - its about $30.

Also I had problems with running a screen saver. If I had to turn it off. They don't play well with other programs anymore.

#229721 08/01/07 09:37 PM
Kerth
Kerth
My first thought when something like this happens is to power down completely and check that the memory cards and processor are still firmly in place, not coming out of their sockets. They expand as they get warm after the PC is turned on, contract after it's turned off, over time this can loosen the clips, pins, or whatever holds them into the PC. A poor contact is the result, and that leads to freezing.

One other rather strange possibility - for various arcane reasons the chip that controls the keyboard has a lot of extra functions in PCs, and a failing keyboard can bring down the whole computer. It's not likely, but it can happen.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
#229722 08/02/07 04:35 PM
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
Update on the computer problems... Finally got it to come up to the wallpaper (and nothing else!). From there, I used task manager to start IE. Got on livechat with tech support. Suggested system restore. So (even though I'd done that) I restored to the earliest possible date I could get it. Tech also suggested that I back up all my files, then wipe out the system and start over. Since the system thing worked, I tried backing up the files. Couldn't get it to do exactly that, but managed to get most of what I wanted off (you know, like currents WIPs and important FOLC related stuff laugh ). Couldn't get the dang CD Rom to read the CD when I got to my pictures! mad

Anyway, used the Registry Mechanic that kmar suggested. You wouldn't believe the gunk that thing found! cat Also downloaded a spyward thingy from the same company. It found crap all my other stuff hasn't been able to find! So, got all that cleaned up and it's still running! I'm not holding my breath, but I can already tell a difference in the speed. Maybe this has worked.

You guys are the best. When I had a problem, you came running with great suggestions. I'm going to try what Marcus suggested, too- making sure everything's tight, dust free, yada yada.

Wish me luck that it keeps working. I really can't afford a new machine right now. But hey, if it does have to go out this is the best weekend for it. (It's the tax free holidays here in SC and GA!)

SQD (thanks again guys)

#229723 08/03/07 01:07 AM
S
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
S
SQD, Something I want to tell you about the tax free weekend. My husband's computer died the beginning of July. He said he'd wait until the tax free weekend to get a new one. He went last week just to look at what was out there. Circuit City told him, if he waited until the tax free weekend, he would save the tax, but he would not be able to get the mail in rebate. The rebate was twice the tax savings so he got the new computer last week. Just wanted to give you a heads up.
Sue

#229724 08/04/07 06:34 PM
Blogger
Blogger
It's a computer conspiracy so I can't BR your story!

Grrr!!

Danny: I see you in a uniform, flying. Have you ever considered a career in the Air Force?
Clark: Um...I'll think about it.
- From Smallville, episode Crush
#229725 08/05/07 11:21 AM
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
Hey, Guys. Thanks again for all your help. Computer's dead! Haven't been able to save any files either! mad

Malu, downloaded that virus program you suggested to my laptop but can't get it to update. Any suggestions?

Thanks again.

SQD (who is ticked about losing her files, but psyched about the new Dell on the way!)

#229726 08/05/07 12:14 PM
Features Writer
Features Writer
SQD,

PM'ed you. wink

malu

UPDATE: StopQuitDont, please let me know if you need any more help with the Anti-Virus and Internet connection. smile

Moderated by  Darth Michael 

Link Copied to Clipboard