Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
M
I have some audio books on tape that I'd love to get onto MP3 but I have no idea how to do it. However in my experience the FoLCs here can tell you how to do anything from baking a cake to hotwiring a car, so does anyone here have any pointers for me?

lisa in the sky with diamonds
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hm, I can convert files better than I cook. Fundamentally, this sounds off. Anyway, I know of two different ways to do it. If you look around online, they sell some really pimped out converters that you can stick your tapes in, but the ones I saw ran around 200.

Elsewhere, I've also read around that you can plug a cassette player into your computer and buy some software (I know Roxio makes a version, for example) that will help you convert on your computer without buying a separate piece of hardware. Just based on my own knowledge and my checkbook, I would go hunt on Amazon (or wherever) for some software and an old cassette player.

JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Top Banana
Top Banana
Of course, that only works if your computer and the cassette player have the right jacks for cable hook-ups to the other machine.

For instance, I have a laptop and a tape player/radio, but I can't hook up the tape player to my computer, because there is no place on the tape player to put any sort of cable that my computer will accept.

If there were, however, I think maybe Audacity (for those of you who have it to work on audiofic) might work for the MP3 recording part of it--just play the audio tape in the player through the computer and have Audacity record. Would that even work?

"You take turns, advise and protect one another, even heal or be healed when the going gets too tough. I know! That's not a game--that's friendship!" ~Shelly Mezzanoble, Confessions of a Part-Time Sorceress: A Girl's Guide to the Dungeons & Dragons Game

Darcy\'s Place
K
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
K
Yes, it would work; I've done it before. But the question of whether Lisa's computer has an appropriate jack is a good one. Lisa, are you using a laptop or a desktop? Does it have a line-in jack (or possibly even a microphone jack)?

Kaylle

Top Banana
Top Banana
Ooh! I just realized--my computer DOES have the correct jack, now that I got that cord that has only what looks like a headphone plug on each end! Whee! Now I can get all my tapes onto my very own CDs (and therefore, onto my ipod) and sell the tapes at the community yard sale next month!

"You take turns, advise and protect one another, even heal or be healed when the going gets too tough. I know! That's not a game--that's friendship!" ~Shelly Mezzanoble, Confessions of a Part-Time Sorceress: A Girl's Guide to the Dungeons & Dragons Game

Darcy\'s Place
Features Writer
Features Writer
I did this once, some years ago: used the cord with plugs on both ends that I had at home, got a walkman tape player (it was some years ago), plugged in the headphone jack of the tape player and the microphone jack of the computer, and used Sound Recorder (yes, Sound Recorder) to record the audio and then convert to MP3.

It was quite an adventure: I actually had ten tapes with many parts of audio on it that I wanted to save separately, so recorded the part that I wanted, paused the tape, and saved and converted the file, then repeated for the next part.

Probably nowadays there is better technology out there that doesn't require using Sound Recorder and all the pausing and converting. But hey, this was over five years ago. I had a *tape* walkman, for goodness sakes! laugh

I actually was very happy with the result at the end, considering all the work I went through. laugh

malu

Features Writer
Features Writer
I think you would need a cable like this to do the job. Probably there are cheaper ones out there, maybe even on eBay. Look for 3.5mm Male to Male audio cable.

As long as she has a sound card on her PC (or laptop) with a microphone jack, and her tape player has a headphone jack, she will be able to do this.

malu

M
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
M
You guys rock!

Kaylle asked:

Lisa, are you using a laptop or a desktop? Does it have a line-in jack (or possibly even a microphone jack)?
I have a laptop and it has two jacks - the symbols appear to be headphones and a microphone.

So if I'm understanding this correctly, I just need to get a male-to-male cord, plug my tape player in to the computer (the mic jack or the headphones jack?), and then record it on something like Audacity?

lisa in the sky with diamonds
Features Writer
Features Writer
For the tape player, it should be the headphones jack (you want the sound to go out), and for the laptop, look for the microphone jack (you want the sound to go in).

As for the actual recording, I think any program that records audio input (like from a microphone) should work. The only problem would be the conversion to MP3.

malu

Features Writer
Features Writer
If you want to use Audacity to record the audio, I found this tutorial at YouTube:

It seems to show how to record from a microphone connected to the USB port, but I believe it would be the same thing for the tape player in the microphone jack.

Here's the link to install Audacity:
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/windows

malu

Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
I find site where I can download some audio's of LnC, but I lost it...:s Does somebody knows a site where I can download them?

Lois: Oh leave that truth and justice stuff to Superman would you?!
Lois&Clark *sight*
Lois: See, I knew I shouldn't have told you! But you're my partner right??
Top Banana
Top Banana
To Lizz--

http://www.lcepaudio.followtomorrow.net/

That should help you out. smile I love it.

--Laura

Thanks to CapeFetish for the awesome icon. smile
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
hyper

Thanks Laura !!!!!!!
Now I can donload more and more and more!!!!!
Thank you so much!!!!!
sloppy

LnC 4-ever yeyeyeyeyeyyeyeyeeyeyeye!!!!

Lois&Clark *sight*
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
wink smile1 laugh laugh

Lois&Clark *sight*

Moderated by  Darth Michael 

Link Copied to Clipboard