Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
At first, I thought it was just my avatar, but after looking at everyone else's avatars, I see it's all of them. They all look HUGE, and awfully pixellated and stretched out of proportion. Any idea what's wrong with that?

"You take turns, advise and protect one another, even heal or be healed when the going gets too tough. I know! That's not a game--that's friendship!" ~Shelly Mezzanoble, Confessions of a Part-Time Sorceress: A Girl's Guide to the Dungeons & Dragons Game

Darcy\'s Place
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I believe it's a problem just with avatars from http://www.lcficmbs.com. The mine is nice (it isn't from lcficmbs.com) and the avatars from others domains too. huh

"My wife's love is what unites Krypton and Earth in my heart. Without it, without her, I truly would be in hell."

~ Superman: Man of Tomorrow #15
Features Writer
Features Writer
It seems that the avatars that we choose from these boards are having a lower quality (as if a smaller image was being stretched). You can see that on "My Profile", too. Was there a problem in storing the larger images when the boards crashed recently (or when it was moved), or maybe the wrong images were linked? confused

EDIT: If you click on the avatar and try to see only the image (by itself), it seems that the avatars are 75 by 62 pixels (smaller than the required 100 by 100), and maybe trying to regulate the larger avatars of some users, a fixed size of 100x100 pixels was set for all images, stretched or shrunk?

EDIT2: Oops, Lara wrote the same thing, as I was editing this. blush

malu wave

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
My best guess would be they put in a routine to resize avatars - in case anyone has one bigger than 100x100 but that this ended up sizing *up* anything that was actually smaller than 100x100. (ie: sizes everything to 100x100 instead of only sizing down things that need it) It's what it looks like to the computer geek sitting on this side of the screen, anyway...

Superman: Why is it that good villains never die?
Batman: Clark, what the hell are good villains?
=> Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
Features Writer
Features Writer
Probably it has to do with Wendy\'s reminder (scroll down to her reply almost at the end of the first page) about the size of the avatars.

malu wave

Top Banana
Top Banana
I'm pretty sure that Lara is right on. In my past experience as a board admin we tried to enforce something along these lines and this is what happened.

Luckily you can fix it so that it doesn't stretch. I'm sure no one has realized it is stretching the smaller images to 100x100 yet.

Angry Clark: CLARK SMASH!
Lois: Ork!
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Yup, Annette put in a routine to 'force' avatars to the required 100 x 100 size. I'm not sure if she's already been made aware of this side issue, but I'll direct her to this thread anyway. I'm sure it won't be a huge issue to fix.

ETA: Or maybe they've already been fixed? Some of them look odd to me, but definitely not pixellated or huge - I'm afraid I don't pay enough attention at the best of times to know if they're back to normal. goofy

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Features Writer
Features Writer
It seems it was fixed. laugh

EDIT: But the ones that are larger than 100 pixels in one or both directions are larger, also. Or maybe it's a work in progress? wink

malu

Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Looks like it's fixed now to me. smile

"You take turns, advise and protect one another, even heal or be healed when the going gets too tough. I know! That's not a game--that's friendship!" ~Shelly Mezzanoble, Confessions of a Part-Time Sorceress: A Girl's Guide to the Dungeons & Dragons Game

Darcy\'s Place
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Annette's removed the 'forced' program and opted instead for an update to the Avatar FAQ/instructions post advising of the required avatar size.

If there are still issues with your avatar, do contact the admins and let us know, using the link at the bottom of the forum. smile

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.

The Musketeers
Features Writer
Features Writer
As written in the Avatar selection in "My Profile":

Please note that we ask that no avatar be larger than 100x100 pixels. If you're not sure how to see what size your avatar is, right-click on the picture and select properties. If you don't know how to resize your avatar, write to the admins by clicking on the link on the front page to contact us, and we'll help you.
Maybe it would be a good idea to clarify that EACH SIDE of the avatar should not be larger than 100 pixels. I mean, I could always create an avatar with less than 100 x 100 = 10,000 pixels, but that would be too big on one side. wink

For example, I could create an avatar which is 80 x 120 pixels = 9,600 pixels, which would be less than 10,000 pixels.

I know I'm being dense in the interpretation of the message, but believe me, I've seen it happen. wink I'm a Teaching Assistant for Calculus I, and some students' interpretations to word problems can cause the most weird conflicts (I don't mean to insult any student out there).

malu wave

K
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
K
I don't think it's necessary... People are used to seeing measurements of size as length x width (or width x length) and not multiplying them into area. We say photos are 5x7, standard-sized notebook paper is 8.5x11, index cards are 3x5, etc. We know what that terminology means. On the other hand, I guess it couldn't hurt to be more specific. But I don't think it's unclear the way it is.

Kaylle

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Yeah, I figure it should be clear enough and if anyone in future does misinterpret the rules that way, we'll simply cross that bridge when we get to it.

LabRat smile

The Musketeers

Moderated by  Darth Michael 

Link Copied to Clipboard