Print Thread
K
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
K
We've got a wireless router that seems to work just fine for me, but my sister (and her boyfriend :p ) can't get her laptop to connect. It used to work, then it just stopped working one day. I've tried fuddling with it some, but I don't really know what I'm doing.

Any suggestions on how to fix this? Or is there more info/specs I need give to help explain the problem?

Thanks!

Sara smile

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
couple starter questions:

- when you say it can't connect, are you getting error messages at all?

- is the network secure and do they have the proper info to connect to it? (and if you know how to check that, how many accesses is it set to be able to grant? cause you can set that and if it's set to just one, well... *lol*)

- what type of router is it? (maker + model) with that I can go search for more info. smile

Superman: Why is it that good villains never die?
Batman: Clark, what the hell are good villains?
=> Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
RL Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
The most important thing is the type of encryption being used on the wireless network. The computer has to have the password to that network to log in as well as the type of encryption.

People who don't know a whole lot about wireless often leave their wireless networks with default settings in which case there is no password and it's an open system. To connect to that, just select the SSID (broadcast name) of that network.

The most common type of encryption is WEP. That comes in typically two flavors, a 64-bit or 128-bit encryption. To log into that, you'll need the SSID plus the hexadecimal string that makes up the password. To find that, the router's wireless web admin page will usually show what that password is.

Two more secure types are WPA and WPA2, usually referred to as Personal editions. Lots of older routers won't have WPA or WPA2 as an option, so most of those will use WEP or nothing at all. Enterprise editions of WPA and WPA2 usually require Radius servers that maintain the password. WPA and WPA2 passwords are usually more easily handled as they are typically just character strings that you type in as a password. In both cases, you'll also need the SSID.

Some wireless networks will hide their SSID, usually by unchecking a broadcast SSID option. I've noticed that some wireless clients can't hook up with non-broadcast networks even if the SSID is known. But to connect to this network, the SSID still must be known.

-- Roger

"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself." -- Benjamin Franklin
K
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
K
Our network isn't secured. blush

We're using a Linsky's Wireless G 2.4 GHz/54 mbps.

Months ago, when my sister first had this problem ( dizzy HOW has she been coping without?), I remember the the wireless network would show up, say it was connected, but it wasn't. When I looked at it earlier tonight, it wasn't detecting any networks in range.

And I'm terribly confused now because it's working. Not on the admin user, but as "guest" because my sister's gone to bed and she's password protected her log on. :p

Something other than the "Wireless Network Connection Properties" came up when I clicked on the signal bar. This time I got "Dell Wireless WLAN Card Utlity" Says something about "Radio". I disabled that, enabled it. And presto. Idiot savant, I am. wink

I'll check tomorrow if the main admin log on is still having problems, but otherwise it seems to be fixed. huh

Thanks, guys!

Sara smile

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Looks like it's not your router at all, then, but rather something on the computer - some setting that's not enabled right...

If the admin user won't work, lemme know and I can go hunt for answers. smile

Superman: Why is it that good villains never die?
Batman: Clark, what the hell are good villains?
=> Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
K
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
K
Go figure. Looks like I managed to fix it entirely. Thanks, guys, for the ideas of what to look at. smile

Sara

Merriwether
Merriwether
Originally posted by KSaraSara:
Our network isn't secured. blush
I love staying next door to people like you. wink

(Translation: That's not a problem, if you don't mind every Tom, Dick, and Harry in the neighborhood or driving by using your connection.)

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Originally posted by rivka:
Originally posted by KSaraSara:
[b] Our network isn't secured. blush
I love staying next door to people like you. wink

(Translation: That's not a problem, if you don't mind every Tom, Dick, and Harry in the neighborhood or driving by using your connection.) [/b]
HAH, ditto. If I ever knew who had "default" I would so bake them cookies. The second time I moved in Georgia, my pothead roommate and I didn't have internet for a while. We broke down and got it last month, but whoever had "default" was my hero! For the time being, I haven't password-protected ours, and it hasn't been too cluttered. I'm just like, I've been there, man! I feel the need to share the wealth!

JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Merriwether
Merriwether
I do secure mine for a few reasons. A big one is that I believe there is case law in California which holds liable the person paying for the connection for any illegal transactions conducted over it.

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun

Moderated by  Darth Michael 

Link Copied to Clipboard