Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#229325 11/27/06 11:41 AM
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Okay, I've noticed of late, that if I want to go back and insert a smiley or italics or something, that I can't insert it where I want to. It inserts it at the end of what I've written and then I have to cut and paste. I tried it with Internet Explorer, and it still worked. It did give me a pop-up and said something about using scripted windows. Is this something I need to change or set or add in Firefox? If so, how? (Oh, and I don't speak computerese very well.)

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I'd be curious to know if someone has an answer to that one, cause it always inserts at the end in FireFox for me as well.

Mind you, it never occurred to me that it might work any other way. I never use Explorer, I just plain don't like it, so I wouldn't have known it does things differently...

Superman: Why is it that good villains never die?
Batman: Clark, what the hell are good villains?
=> Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Yeah, this just seems to be a side effect of using Firefox with this particular forum. Curiously enough, it doesn't happen when I use smilies using Firefox on other forums. On other forums, I'm able to place smilies exactly where in the post I want them. No idea why. I've just learned to live with it.

A similiar problem is when you insert hyperlinks into a post. At the bottom of the post, instead of where you want it, every single time. It means that when I have to update the TOCs each Thursday, I have to close down Firefox and revert to using IE. It's just too irritating otherwise.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
It means that when I have to update the TOCs each Thursday, I have to close down Firefox and revert to using IE. It's just too irritating otherwise.
Lab, do you have IE Tab Add-on? With a click, you can switch to IE and back. wink

"My wife's love is what unites Krypton and Earth in my heart. Without it, without her, I truly would be in hell."

~ Superman: Man of Tomorrow #15
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
What? Ooooooooooh. No. <g> But, will have in just a few seconds. Thanks! That makes life much easier!

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
see, this is why I love FireFox - it's got addons for it to do absolutely anything. People writing these just blow my mind!

Merriwether
Merriwether
Originally posted by Ultra Woman:
It means that when I have to update the TOCs each Thursday, I have to close down Firefox and revert to using IE. It's just too irritating otherwise.
Lab, do you have IE Tab Add-on? With a click, you can switch to IE and back. wink
Useful. In fact, I use it often.

But to address the hyperlinking issue more directly, I recommend BBCodeXtra . It won't help with the inserting-smilies-only-at-the-end problem, but it will take care of putting hyperlinks, italics, etc. in the right places.

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Oooh! Thanks for the tip, Rivka - very useful plugin!!

Merriwether
Merriwether
Isn't it great?

I have almost 20 extensions on my Firefox at home, and about half of those at work. One of the reasons I love Firefox as much as I do is the wide variety of extensions available.

Hooray for open source! laugh

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Okay, where do I find a list of all these Firefox extensions? Thanks

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Start here:

https://addons.mozilla.org/

Extensions are programs that change the browser and its capabilities. IE Tab was mentioned. AdBlock Plus (when combined with something like DutchBlock) will block most ads. ForecastFox Enhanced adds a nifty miniature weather forcast to the bottom of the window. There's all sorts of stuff, and, unlike with IE... it's all free!

Themes are browser skins. They don't add or change functions. They just change the look of the window. Colors, buttons, etc.

Search Engines let you add more options to the search box.

Plugins are 3rd party apps like Quicktime and Flash Player.

So... plenty of things to explore. Have fun!

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.

Moderated by  Darth Michael 

Link Copied to Clipboard