Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#229152 08/04/06 10:53 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Well, having tried it a thousand times successlessly (is there such a word... very strange) before joining this bóard, I decided to give up chatting via IRC cause I never really needed it.

But NOW (yeah, okay, maybe the newest Off-Topic thread helped a little) I'll try it once again and maybe some of you might be able to help me.

I downloaded mIRC - which could be the first mistake cause someone told me that only the Europeans use it... who knows.

And I think I registered anywhere cause when I try to log in, it's successful.

But that's it - that's where I lose my mind.

Some friend told me that I automatically join some kind of European "server" or something like that.
Well, who knows, might be cause the programm says I'm logged in:
Oslo2.NO.EU.undernet.org

And he said to join YOU I'll need your server address but he couldn't tell me how to find out and what to do with it once I got it.

So, please, can anyone here tell me what I have to do.

Tonight, I'm really willing to do everything you want, also spend some hours to download another new programm. (client?!?)

You see, I'm desperate, so please, help me mecry

Thanks a lot in advance,

Jana

"Maybe I know what it's like, trying to find fulfillment in the wrong person. Trying to fit into the mold others expect of you."

"Looking for love" by DC Lady
#229153 08/05/06 01:26 AM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I downloaded mIRC - which could be the first mistake cause someone told me that only the Europeans use it... who knows.
No, that's not the case. You'll find plenty of Americans - and chatters from other countries, besides - using mIRC.

Whoever you've been talking to seems to be making things a little more complicated than they need to be. <G>

What are you trying to do? Join one of the FoLC channels? Or talk to someone one to one, privately?

To join a FoLC channel, you've done all you need to. Bar typing in the channel name/password. To do that, you'd have to register with the channel to receive the pasword. Once you have the password just type:

/join #channel name password

and you should be in. The most important thing to remember is that you MUST choose an undernet server - and you seem to have done that. If you choose another server other than an undernet one, you'll find yourself in the channel - but even if it's full of people, it'll look as though you're in there on your own. laugh

Oh, and you don't have to stick to a European server - you can try any of the undernet ones. Although, for a few years now the US ones have been more difficult to pick up.

As far as I'm aware - although I'm a little hazier on this one as I don't do it myself - all you need to do to speak with someone on irc, outwith an established channel like #loisclark or #lanekent, is set up your own channel. And that's as simple as typing in:

/join #make up your channel name

once you've gotten into your server.

If you use a channel name that isn't already in use, you'll find yourself in your own channel, ready to chat. All you need do then is inform the person you want to chat to of the channel name and password and they can join you on irc.

I'm not aware that you need share server information with them. But perhaps others can clarify that one for you.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#229154 08/05/06 04:00 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi Jana,

Take a look here for some IRC instructions I posted in the run-up to the Kerths. Ignore the Kerth channels - they're not valid right now. These instructions will get you connected to the Undernet. Then if you want to get into a FoLC channel follow the link to get the password. Then you'll be all set. thumbsup

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
#229155 08/21/06 09:56 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
God, I'm so embarassed!!!

At first, I have to thank you two for your help with this IRC myth.

With your help I managed to defeat it laugh
And I can say, that I'm already addicted to lanekent and loisclark - unfortunately there aren't many of you on when it's evening and night in Germany so I have to stick to the early morning and of course the week-ends (I didn't sleep last weekend but it was really worthy! thumbsup )

But unfortunately my laptop broke down and it was the only access to the email containing the kryptic password to the boards (which I should change by now wink ) and I couldn't come here to thank you frown

God, I missed you and I'm so happy to be here again smile

So, once again, thanks a lot for your help!

Many greetings,

Jana

"Maybe I know what it's like, trying to find fulfillment in the wrong person. Trying to fit into the mold others expect of you."

#229156 08/22/06 05:53 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
You're welcome. Glad to hear you're back with us and having fun on irc. smile

I really need to get back into the habit of spending time in #loisclark. I miss chatting.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#229157 08/22/06 06:36 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Yeah, LabRat, that's what you really should do! *nodding* laugh

It's really empty at European-awake times there frown

Bye,

Jana

Moderated by  Darth Michael 

Link Copied to Clipboard