Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#229000 03/20/06 08:17 PM
malu Offline OP
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
OK, I have a challenge for all of you who use and know something about computers and IE6. smile

I have looked for this issue online, contacted many technical boards and nobody has been able to help me so far. Thought of giving a shot here too. blush

Last week, my Internet Explorer 6 started doing something crazy. The Address toolbar (that place at the top where you can see and type web page addresses) just stopped responding. I am unable to type anything into it. I can cut, copy and paste things into it using the mouse, I can see the current address in it, but I definitely cannot edit the text with the keyboard. Everything else in the IE6 works just fine. If I want to access a new address (not a link), I have to go to File->Open... and type the address, but that's highly annoying.

Now here comes what I have already done to try to solve the problem: I have run Ad-Aware, Spybot, AVG Anti-Virus, Trend Micro HouseCall, CCleaner, Windows Defender; I have reinstalled Windows XP Service Pack 2; I have disabled all the add-ons from IE6. Nothing worked. help

See ya,

malu wave

#229001 03/21/06 07:56 AM
Kerth
Kerth
Never come across this one, but have you considered trying another browser? Go to http://www.opera.com and download the Opera browser, or to http://www.firefox.com and download Firefox. Both are free, they're better browsers than Internet Explorer, and have much better security. They're also small in memory and hard disk requirements. There are versions for all of the common operating systems so you don't need to use different browsers on e.g. your PC and Mac.

I know this isn't the answer you're looking for, but I first tried Opera three or four years ago, when it was shareware, and registered the next day - now that it's free it's still my browser of choice. I don't personally like Firefox so much, but some people prefer it. Both of them run rings around Internet Explorer.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
#229002 03/21/06 08:06 AM
malu Offline OP
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Marcus,

I have ZoneAlarm in my computer running all the time, and I have decided to install Firefox, but Windows Update only works in Internet Explorer.
See, my problem is that I cannot work only with Firefox, since Windows XP uses IE6 for Windows (and Microsoft) Update. I have already installed Firefox, and in setting it as my main browser has made me lose the Windows Update "feature" (it tries opening Firefox, and then it doesn't work).

malu wave

#229003 03/21/06 08:39 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I have decided to install Firefox, but Windows Update only works in Internet Explorer.
I tried Firefox and turned it my definitive browser. I'm a satisfied user of it. thumbsup About pages that won't work in Firefox, don't worry. laugh There's IE Tab . You can select that annoying pages to open with IE. clap Right-click on them and select the option.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I hope this help. wink

Andreia smile

"My wife's love is what unites Krypton and Earth in my heart. Without it, without her, I truly would be in hell."

~ Superman: Man of Tomorrow #15
#229004 03/21/06 09:03 PM
malu Offline OP
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Oooooh! cool

Obrigada, obrigada, obrigada, Andréia! thumbsup

See ya,

malu wave

P.S.: How's the beginning of fall there in the south of Brazil? wink

#229005 03/22/06 01:14 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Oi, Malu! wave

Glad it helped you! smile

Happily fall is beginning well-timed. I was waiting for this. Summer was tough on us. We had 42ºC here in the south! eek Rains were few and far between and there was dryness. frown But fall looks promising. Heat has decreased and the weather out there threatens rain. Slowly things go back to normal. wink

Você era do Brasil? Acho que eu li isso em um post algum tempo atrás. É sempre bom encontrar brasileiras por aqui. laugh

Um abraço,
Andreia cool

"My wife's love is what unites Krypton and Earth in my heart. Without it, without her, I truly would be in hell."

~ Superman: Man of Tomorrow #15
#229006 03/22/06 07:02 AM
malu Offline OP
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
[OK, I'm using this post for a different subject now wink ]

Oi, Andreia,

Eu vim para o Texas para fazer doutorado. Já estou aqui há uns 3 anos. Toda minha família está no Brasil, em São Paulo.

Um abraço,

malu wave

#229007 03/22/06 08:56 AM
Kerth
Kerth
Originally posted by malu:
Marcus,

I have ZoneAlarm in my computer running all the time, and [b]I have decided to install Firefox, but Windows Update only works in Internet Explorer.
See, my problem is that I cannot work only with Firefox, since Windows XP uses IE6 for Windows (and Microsoft) Update. I have already installed Firefox, and in setting it as my main browser has made me lose the Windows Update "feature" (it tries opening Firefox, and then it doesn't work).

malu wave [/b]
Sorry, didn't notice that for some reason.

Marcus L. Rowland
#229008 04/02/06 06:22 PM
A
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
A
Hoping not to touch off a Firefox/IE/Opera debate, but I've been using IE7 for a few days now.... More than likely, I'll eventually migrate back to Firefox again, but for the moment I'll give the new IE a shot.

It looks suspiciously like Firefox, though -- tabbed, a search box in the corner (defaults to MSN Search, but promptly reconfigured to Google), etc. Should be interesting to see how things pan out....

#229009 04/03/06 12:23 AM
T
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
T
Does the searching work like Firefly's (search out the word as you type it, without you hitting enter, and save the search term from page to page) - I love that.

#229010 04/03/06 02:04 AM
A
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
A
No, the in-page search is still with the dialog box, which is not terribly useful in my opinion. I was referring to Firefox's Google search entry in the upper-right corner of the browser. Which is very similar to IE7's search entry in the upper right corner of the browser. wink

#229011 04/03/06 02:42 AM
Kerth
Kerth
Originally posted by archbish99:
No, the in-page search is still with the dialog box, which is not terribly useful in my opinion. I was referring to Firefox's Google search entry in the upper-right corner of the browser. Which is very similar to IE7's search entry in the upper right corner of the browser. wink
And Opera, and Safari on the Mac; it's pretty standard these days.

Marcus L. Rowland

Moderated by  Darth Michael 

Link Copied to Clipboard