Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
A
Internet Explorer has been very unstable lately, so I'm considering installing a new browser. Are there any (free) ones you'd recommend?

Thank you!
AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Well, a bunch of FoLCs (myself included) like FireFox . It's built off of the Netscape platform (which is also free, BTW), but it's open source. That means that anyone with the proper know-how can contribute to it, adding new tools, fixing bugs, etc.

It's stable, spyware-resistant, and has a ton of handy features.

Give it a try. I suggest browsing through the themes (skins) and extensions (add-on features), once you have it installed. smile

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I'd definitely recommend Firefox. It's given me no hassles and, like Paul says, it's less prone to security scares than IE. Stuart's just started using it too on his new laptop and he likes it much better than IE.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
A
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
A
One caveat I would add with Firefox is to realize that some of its best features are in the form of Extensions. Once you've installed it, and maybe played around with it for a few days, go to the Extension site and see what else it can do. AdBlock does about what you'd expect. ForecastFox shows me the forecast and current conditions. I have a clock down in my statusbar, since I keep the Windows Toolbar hidden all the time.

Firefox by itself is still a great browser, but be aware that some of the coolest features you can download separately.

A
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
A
I installed Firefox and I'm currently using it. It's a bit early to judge, but no problems so far. Good sign smile

Thanks for the recommendations and for the tips smile

See ya,
AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
Kerth
Kerth
Firefox is OK, but Opera is also free, seems a little more stable (it's now on version 8.5 and has been around a LONG time), and has some features (such as zooming of images as well as text) which are very useful if you look at sites which use weird fonts, teeny or over-large images, etc. Available for PC and Mac, I'm using it with both without problems.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game

Moderated by  Darth Michael 

Link Copied to Clipboard