#228918 08/24/05 12:43 AM
K
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
K
My sister just got a new laptop, and there are a ton of files on her old computer that she wants on the new one. Only problem is, her old computer isn't hooked up to the internet... or if it was (by using that ever-so annoying free for six months AOL :p ), it'd be dial up.

I just know there has to be an easy way to get the files from here to there, but I can't think of one for the life of me. huh

Help, please? smile

Sara

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

#228919 08/24/05 01:04 AM
D
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
D
*I think you can directly connect them with a cross over ethernet cable and set up a network. You'll get transfer speeds upwards of 100Mbps.

*Edited to add disclaimer wink

'I just kind of died for you;
You just kind of stared at me'
- Aurora, Foo Fighters
#228920 08/24/05 04:41 AM
A
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
A
You need a direct serial or parallel transfer cable or null modem cable. You can also create a usb network but you need adaptors as well as USB cables

If you want to move files and settings see this article
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/deploy/mgrtfset.mspx and scroll down to the Migrating to a New Computer Using a Direct Cable Connection section

This site http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/dccmain.htm has a very good step by step guide with illustrations, including cable types. smile

AmyN

#228921 08/24/05 05:45 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
I agree with David. You can use a cross-over cable or 2 regular ethernet cables with a hub if both computers have ethernet cards. Just put some dummy settings in the network/connection, set up file & print sharing, and voila, instant connection.

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
#228922 08/24/05 12:06 PM
A
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
A
Yes, assuming both computers have network cards. I find most users have problems dealing with the network settings and workgroups and sharing (especially when the OS is different on the 2 computers).

Amy

#228923 08/24/05 12:38 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Why not just get a USB flashdrive? - also known as a memory key or jump drive. These are the modern-day equivalent of a floppy disk - you simply plug it into the USB port of one computer and your PC will recognise it as a new hard drive. Transfer your data to it via your file manager (eg Windows Explorer), unplug it, plug it into the new computer, transfer the data to the new computer.

Simple, fast, and no need to mess around with cables, networking and so on.

Flashdrives are also great if you need to move data around - eg if you have files you'd like to work on in different places, or which are too large to send by email. They come in up to 4GB or more now, but 256MB or so would be sufficient for most users.

Just as an example, www.outpost.com offers a range of sizes and prices - see here . There are 256MB drives by Memorex and Kingston for under $30 plus shipping. If you prefer to walk into a shop, Staples currently has a 256MB flashdrive for $30 , and BestBuy has a Memorex 256MB on sale for $29.99.

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
#228924 08/24/05 07:43 PM
K
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
K
Thanks for the info, everyone! smile

Turns out that cable is going to be upwards of $20 some dollars... now, we have a memory key, but it's only 256mb. She has zillions of songs and files to transfer, so we were hoping for a faster way, but turns out the key might be the best option. But it's great to actually know there's a process for this. smile

Thanks again!

Sara smile

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

Moderated by  Darth Michael 

Link Copied to Clipboard