Print Thread
#228761 05/25/05 03:06 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There are at least 5 new trailers out since I've gotten dial up and I have only been able to download ONE completely!!! The other ones take 2 hours or more and my dial up cuts out before it's done. Somebody please tell me how to get these faster, could they be emailed to me or something?!?!?

Thanks,

TEEEEEEEEJ

RL Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
That would be difficult since it would take an equivalent time to download an email with the file as an attachment.

The problem is that dialup is just plain slow, roughly about 8MB per hour if you have a decent connection. If you don't, then it's even slower.

If you can't maintain a connection for longer than an hour or two, I suggest that you find someone who could burn a whole bunch of them to a CD and have him/her send it to you.

Or you could find a broadband connection that you can borrow for a little while.

-- Roger

"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself." -- Benjamin Franklin
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Also, download the RealVideo versions and not the Window Media Video ones. They're smaller files and it's faster to get them. Tonight I'll convert the last three trailers that have been posted by Wendy and Sara, but in the meantime you can find all the others here .

Elena smile

Methos: "I'm easily amused."

(Indiscretions - Highlander: The Series)
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
ELENA!!! sloppy Did I ever tell you again how cool you are?!?! You're like the techi good fairy of the boards!! Thank you!

TEEEEEEEJ

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
LOL! Thanks, TJ. blush

And, as promised, the RealVideo versions of the latest trailers are now up. You can find them here .

Elena smile1

Methos: "I'm easily amused."

(Indiscretions - Highlander: The Series)
A
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
A
Hi TJ,

I know I'm jumping in a bit late but there are download managers that allow you to accelerate and/or resume downloads if your connection is broken or an error occurs.

You can browse through popular download managers at Google and zdnet

I have heard that ReGet Deluxe, GetRight, Download Accelerator Plus, and Internet Download Manager are all good if you use dialup because of their resume and automation features. Since you are on dial up and need to download the download manager, Internet Download Manager is the smallest of these 3 at approx. 1.15 Mb; ReGet is around 1.9Mb; GetRight and Download Accelerator Plus are each around 3Mb. All of these are shareware programs that require purchase after the demo period except Download Accelerator which comes in a free version that allows ads and a premium version with some added features and no ads that requires purchase (the way I see it, either way you pay :rolleyes: ). They all cost in the $25 to $30 range.

Also, you may want to check before downloading any programs from the internet whether it has been checked for spyware, viruses, trojans and backdoors at Softpedia.com

Hope this helps.

AmyN
P.S. I have a Mac which is not compatible with any of these programs, but have used Speed Download (a program for Mac OS X) when I was on dial-up and it saved me from losing my hair in fistfuls at a time on many occasions. thumbsup

Moderated by  Darth Michael 

Link Copied to Clipboard