Next Thread
Print Thread
LabRat Offline OP
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Well, I installed it and I'm greatly impressed. I just have one small problem when it comes to the mbs and using Firefox as my browser.

I've always had a problem on these mbs with the new post indicators - going right back to their inception. To turn them off, I've always had to go into My Profile and hit 'Update New Post Indicators' twice. They won't do it automatically like they should.

So...that was okay. Minor inconvenience.

Now, however, when I use Mozilla - I can't get them to turn off at all. I hit that sequence 8 times in a row and the beggers are still lit up.

Which is going to be somewhat confusing. <G>

Anyone got a solution? I'm so impressed with Firefox I'm loathe to go back to using IE if I can help it.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Merriwether
Merriwether
I've always had a problem on these mbs with the new post indicators - going right back to their inception. To turn them off, I've always had to go into My Profile and hit 'Update New Post Indicators' twice. They won't do it automatically like they should.
I'm fairly certain this is a UBB issue, since I have the same problem with every UBB board I'm on.

As far as Mozilla, have you tried the Delete All Cookies Set by This Forum button?

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Yeah, I've been having that problem, too. It's obviously something to do with cookie handling, but I haven't been able to figure out what the problem is. It doesn't always happen, but it seems to happen more often than not. These days, I just ignore it. I just glance at the date and time of the latest post in each forum. Visited links indicators help, too.

I have found that clearing board cookies can get things to work again, but only for a short time. Clearing cookies also means logging back in to the boards.

Hmm. There may be a way to fix it by changing the way Firefox handles session cookies (since it's obviously the session cookies that are the problem and not the login cookies), but I'm not quite sure what to do. I'll have to play around with them.

Sorry I can't help more. Good luck.

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Thanks, Paul and Rivka. Tried various options and ended up clearing the cookies altogether, but it's a bit fiddly to be doing all the time. Did clear them for the moment though.

Guess I'll just have to put up with it. smile1

EDIT: You know, not wanting to speak too soon or anything, but since I've cleared those cookies, those 'update new post indicators' are working again and clearing them. Crossing my fingers it's not a fluke... wink

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Not sure what to tell you about Thunderbird. I use Eudora.

As for cookies, you can manually delete just the session cookies, leaving the login cookie alone. Go to:

Tools -> Options -> Privacy -> Cookies -> View All

Then find the www.lcficmbs.com cookies and delete the session ones. (Note that while cookie listings are alphabetical, the ones for the boards will probably be under w for www rather than l for lcficmbs.) If you leave the login cookie alone, you shouldn't have to log back in every time. Hopefully, you won't have to do any of this, but just in case...

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Thanks, Paul. For the moment, they seem to be working fine again - but I'll keep this in mind for future reference, if it's needed.

As I suspected, my current email problem is down to my server. They've finally opened a ticket on it on their webpage. Apparently it's been caused by routine maintenance and I won't be able to access my email till at least 5pm this evening. (Nice of them to give us warning. :rolleyes: )

Does anyone know if Firefox has a spellcheck extension? Done some ferreting around on the site but can't find one. Missing my handy ieSpell (which is of course a IE tool, so it's not working with Firefox).

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
Merriwether
Merriwether
It does.

Hang on, I know the Firefox-happy folks on another board I frequent recommended one a bit ago . . .

Spellbound

Other extensions: Paste quote (from this very useful-looking site)

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Excellent, Rivka! I couldn't find it anywhere and was beginning to think you guys would have to start putting up with my appalling spelling again. goofy

Thanks. sloppy

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
Merriwether
Merriwether
I couldn't survive without ieSpell. Having eyed some of those extensions, I'm actually considering trying Firefox. I've been stubbornly resisting, on the theory that I prefer to use the same browser at home and at work . . .

- Under the Tuscan Sun
LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Well, for what it's worth, I'm seriously hooked on both Firefox and Thunderbird and regretting I didn't switch way sooner. I especially love watching Thunderbird filter out all that spam into its own little junk folder, leaving my mailbox all shiny and junk-free. smile1

Still trying to install Spellbound - not having much luck so far. It keeps telling me it's successfully installed all the required bits, but when I try and use it it tells me (in one of those oh so logical computer logic loops) that it can't install it and suggests a solution might be to reinstall the libraries. Eight attempts and counting, but I'll figure it out eventually, I guess. razz )

The Musketeers
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Wonderful!!!! Good to see so many people convert over! Once I discovered how wonderful they both are, I've been converting people right and left. Most are loathe to switch to Thunderbird (or don't need it), but everyone who tries Firefox has LOVED it (tabs is one big plus). My favorite extensions are Adblock, Firefoxview and ieview, the weather one, and I have a CountdownClock running for when I fly home. I'm also testing out Wizz RSS to see if I like it. laugh The options are endless! You won't regret changing over! IE will still be there to use as backup, but you'll fall in love with Firefox and wonder how you lived with IE for so long.

Don't point. You make holes in the air and the faeries escape.
LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
but you'll fall in love with Firefox and wonder how you lived with IE for so long.
Already there, Doranwen. Already, I cannot contemplate going back to using either IE or OE! I made Firefox and Thunderbird my default programs on the second day of using them.

No program is perfect, of course, but as far as I'm concerned these two are as close to it as you can get. I keep finding little features or ways they have of dealing with things that I just love.

I have to say though that I had to remove Adblock - for some reason it kept putting websites on its blocked list without being told, including these mbs, and then I could never find a way to remove them once they were there. It just got to the point where it became too irksome to continue with. One minute I could access the mbs just fine, the next it was telling me I couldn't and sure enough there it would be on the blocked list. razz

That's the only problem I've encountered so far though. Everything has run along very smoothly and simply.

Oh and btw - that problem I've always had with updating the new post indicators here? Well, since I switched to Firefox they've started working properly and updating automatically - I haven't had to manually update them for days!

LabRat smile

The Musketeers

Moderated by  Darth Michael 

Link Copied to Clipboard