Next Thread
Print Thread
#228661 04/10/05 12:37 AM
A
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
A
I have two questions, quite irrelevant between them. My brother needs them for his Technology paper.

1) How can I take a photo of the screen, like El has done in... a thread about IRC I can't find?

2) Say you create a site. Do you need to "subscribe" to a search engine in order for it to appear there, or does the search engine update automatically?

Thanks a lot!!
AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
Merriwether
Merriwether
1) Hit the Prnt Screen button, and then go into your favorite graphics editor (or Paint if yo don't have one), and go to Edit->Paste. Voila, screenshot!

2) Not exactly sure. A lot of websites offer fees to get your website onto search engines, but Google seemed to find mine with no prodding. Perhaps the fees are to get the rankings up. huh

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
Merriwether
Merriwether
Don't most search engines have a way to submit new sites?

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I haven't checked in a while, but last I heard, most major search engines required you to submit your site to them. There are (or were) free services to do this for you on a one-time basis. They're basically hoping that you'll appreciate the hits enough that you find yourself willing to pay them to resubmit periodically to bump yourself back up to the top of the search engine's lists. (This doesn't work for google because they have a different way of organizing things.)

I don't remember which one I used, but that was years ago anyway, so they may not still be around. A quick web search turned up this one and I'm sure you can find others if you look. Checking HotBot for "search engine website submit free" got me this page of listings, which is certainly a good start.

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
Top Banana
Top Banana
Mostly, websites automatically turn up in the GOOGLE rank. It just depends on your search criteria. This is because Google has a somewhat different IR (Information Retrieval) algorithm. According to what is rumored to be known to the general public, Google ranks web sites based on 2 criteria:

1. keywords typed in the search box. Example, ur search item is "Alpha B. Gamma"; and there are 2 websites with titles: (1)Alpha Gamma and (2) Alpha B. Gamma. The 2nd website will get a higher rank.

2. # of websites which link to your website and # of popular websites you link to.

Definitely, Google is employing additional complex algorithms apart from the above 2 strategies.... Still...

Hope this helps,
Ankit wave

If she had to move heaven and Earth, perhaps come back to haunt Perry and explain the story after they'd killed her, she would do it.

Waking a Miracle by Aria
A
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
A
Thanks a lot, FoLCs! (My brother has a hard time believing how much help one can find in here!)

See ya,
AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...

Moderated by  Darth Michael 

Link Copied to Clipboard