Next Thread
Print Thread
#228638 03/14/05 04:14 PM
Y
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Y
I have been having this problem for the last several days that has been driving me insane.

First, when I go to several sites -- ex. www.cavs.com (the website for the Cleveland Caveliers Basketball team) and www.gap.com -- the page starts to load, and then the window just closes.

Also, at sites where I need to put in a password -- like Annesplace and the CWRU directory or student information -- the popup window never comes up to enter the password when I use IE (I don't have this problem on firefox).

I have scanned for viruses and spyware with several different programs.
I have cleared my history and cache.
I have tried the sites on different computers and they work perfectly.
I have done a system restore of my computer back to both January 6th and December 24th. I did not have this problem. However, I still have this problem after the restore.

It is driving me crazy!

- Laura

Laura "The Yellow Dart" U. (Alicia U. on the archive)

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." -- Christopher Reeve
#228639 03/14/05 04:44 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Long shot - do you by any chance have a popup-blocker installed in IE? That might explain one problem.

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
#228640 03/14/05 05:22 PM
Y
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Y
I am running sp2, and it has a built in pop-up blocker. When I disabled it, I still had the same problems frown .

When I system restored to three days ago, my problem with the web sites closing is fixed, but my password problem is still there. frown

- Laura

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." -- Christopher Reeve
#228641 03/15/05 04:35 AM
A
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
A
What about Javascript settings? If you've got Javascript turned off, certain ways of opening a pop-up won't work....

#228642 03/15/05 04:37 AM
A
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
A
Oh, wait.... Scratch that -- the password prompt at Anne's isn't JScript. Dunno. huh

#228643 03/15/05 05:45 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
For the passwords, make sure you don't have it saved. Go to Start -> Control Panels -> Internet Options (or Network and Internet Connections -> Internet Options) -> Content -> Autocomplete, and click on the Clear Forms and Clear Passwords buttons.

You can also check the Privacy and Security tabs to make sure those are okay. If all else fails, grab your XP cd just in case, then go to Start -> Run, and type in "sfc /scannow" without the quotes. That will check and fix any corrupted files.

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
#228644 03/16/05 02:43 AM
A
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
A
Careful! That will also uninstall all patches and service packs if you choose to restore your files to the CD version -- have SP1 at least already downloaded and ready to install BEFORE you put your computer back on the network if your CD doesn't have SP1 included. Then visit Windows Update first thing afterward.

#228645 03/16/05 03:39 AM
Y
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Y
I tried Karen's first idea about security settings and automatic fill-ins, but that didn't fix my problem frown .

Unfortunately, I do not have a CD player for my laptop, so I can't use the Windows CD. It broke, Dell said it's not covered by my warrenty, and I didn't feel like spending the $250 they were asking for the part. I just don't use the CD/DVD player/burner that much! Plus, I don't have the Windows XP Pro CD -- I am using a site-licensed version of the program from my university, so I only have a CD for XP home.

Do you think uninstalling and reinstalling SP2 would be at all helpful?

Thanks!
- Laura

#228646 03/16/05 10:30 AM
Boards Chief Administrator
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
First, my advice it not to install SP 2 unless you are doing a fresh install of your system. There are a lot of issues with an in place upgrade to XP SP 2 and I would not be surprised if this is the culprit.

In Firefox, did you go in to the options box and clear everything? Cache washers still don't catch Firefox browser cache yet.

For that other issue you are having, see me on IRC.

Annette wink

www.kerthawards.com
www.lcficmbs.com
www.folcvideo.com
www.nfanfic.net
www.annesplace.net

"There is nothing wrong with America that cannot be cured by what is right with America." Bill Clinton, inaugural address, January 21, 1993
#228647 03/20/05 05:38 AM
Y
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Y
Thank you, Annette, my computer goddess laugh laugh laugh !!!!!!!! After keeping her up way too late helping me set up a new profile, my problem is all fixed! smile1 Thank you so much!

- Laura

Moderated by  Darth Michael 

Link Copied to Clipboard