Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#228522 09/18/04 09:13 AM
Julie S Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
My computer decided to play a prank on me, now every time I try to turn it on it tells me that it's low on virtual memory and can't load Windows unless I add some or something. Plus it is asking me for a login, which it never did before because I don't have a password. Can't even load in the Safe Mode.

What do I do? I am seriously freaked out. Is there any way to salvage what's on it? Out of sheer stupidity I don't even have my WIPs backed up.

Julie frown

Mulder: Imagine if you could come back and take out five people who had caused you to suffer. Who would they be?
Scully: I only get five?
Mulder: I remembered your birthday this year, didn't I, Scully?

(The X-Files)
#228523 09/18/04 02:20 PM
Julie S Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Okay, forget that. Computer's working again and WIP's are safe. However, how in heck do I remove a skin from Internet Explorer???

I don't even know how it got there. All I know is that before I installed in some programs I had on before, it was working. And suddenly, after I finished installing everything, this Swiss mountain skin appeared and IE feels the need to say it has generated an error. And close. And those programs were there before, and as far as I remember, worked in harmony with IE.

Help?

Julie frown

Mulder: Imagine if you could come back and take out five people who had caused you to suffer. Who would they be?

(The X-Files)
#228524 09/18/04 02:30 PM
Julie S Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Okay, Scratch that too. I hate it when unwanted toolbars pop up. razz

Anyway, after spamming this section of the MBs, admins, you can delete this. goofy I also realize posting this 10 minutes after the last one is a bit ridiculous.

Julie smile

(The X-Files)
#228525 09/20/04 08:58 AM
M
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
M
Unwanted toolbars? Sounds like a spyware of some sort got into your system. Have you tried any of those programs like Ad-aware and Spybot?

#228526 09/20/04 06:26 PM
Julie S Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Yeah, actually I do use AdAware but all it has been finding lately, before the crash were tracking cookies. I don't know why. And I've been updating it.

Julie

(The X-Files)
#228527 09/21/04 10:44 AM
Columnist
Columnist
Julie, you definitely sound infected with spyware. Go to a site called tomcoyote.com and read about a program called hijackthis, or something like that. This website will tell you everything you need to know about downloading that program and cleaning your computer up once and for all. Believe me, even when you think you're clean, you might not be. My computer crashed before I learned to protect myself.

SQD

#228528 09/22/04 04:23 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Don't forget to get a program called Spybot S&D, which you can get from download.com. Also look for a program called CWShredder, which will help get rid of another sort of adware.

Hijack This is usually for advanced users, since it goes into registry settings. You may want to check out the info on the website before you decide to download it.

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited

Moderated by  Darth Michael 

Link Copied to Clipboard