Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#228368 06/14/04 05:27 AM
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
Following absolute computer catastrophe around here over the last week, I need a little help.

I had to wipe out my hard drive and restore the system. Now my Outlook Express is giving me fits. It takes forever for it to load and now I've been unable to save an attached file from someone. Was able to do that Saturday and Sunday, but not today.

Any ideas? Suggestions? Considerations on the type of gun to use when I shoot this dang contraption?! dizzy

Thanks,
SQD

#228369 06/14/04 05:40 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
SQD,

Sorry I can't help you on this. I'm really not a techie nerd.

As far as guns are concerned, I was about to suggest a water-shooting one. But I guess you want a more 'expeditive' while handy type of arm. So, maybe a Glock 17L, 9 mm, semi-automatic will do the tric? <jk>

Carole smile1

#228370 06/14/04 05:48 AM
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
Posting again because I just found out that OE is denying access to my attachment because it says it's unsafe. ????

HELP!!!!!!!!!

SQD

#228371 06/14/04 06:04 AM
Y
Top Banana
Top Banana
Y
SQD,

My dad has a similar problem with his attachments using OE. The problem was related to the level of security we had it set to both in OE and in Symantic antivirus. I'd suggest checking your security settings and possibly lowering them.

- Laura

Laura "The Yellow Dart" U. (Alicia U. on the archive)

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." -- Christopher Reeve
#228372 06/14/04 09:45 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
SQD,

select "Options" from the "Tool" menu, click on the "Security" tab and uncheck the box that says "Do not allow attachments etc...".

Elena smile

Methos: "I'm easily amused."

(Indiscretions - Highlander: The Series)
#228373 06/14/04 12:25 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hmm. This wasn't easy, but I think I've diagnosed your problem, SQD.

You're using Outlook Express. Also known as The Glitchiest Mainstream Email Program In Existance.

As with most Microsoft products, OE is riddled with flaws, and must often be creatively tricked into doing what it's supposed to. It is also, to my knowledge, the mail program most vulnerable to viruses. There have been entire crops of viruses tailored specifically to work on OE.

I recommend using a different mail program. Personally, I like Eudora (my school has a site liscense, but even the free version is good), but go with what works for you. It probably won't help you get the stuff back that you lost (it may be able to import the old messages), but it will serve you much better in the future.

<shrug> That's my $0.02.

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
#228374 06/15/04 11:55 AM
A
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
A
Elena's solution should work. OE6 automatically defaults to that security setting. Microsoft just neglects to warn you when you upgrade. Can't tell you how many times I've had to change that setting. Ironically, all documents created in Microsoft applications are considered unsafe by OE6 eek

AmyN

#228375 06/16/04 02:08 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Elena's suggestion will work. Just make sure you close OE and open it before you try the attachments again. It won't work until you restart OE.

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited

Moderated by  Darth Michael 

Link Copied to Clipboard