Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#228285 03/23/04 10:08 AM
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
Hiya!

Well I like to go on WinMX but the unfortunate thing is I'm only on a secondary connection and I would like my own primary connection. I'm assuming I cannot have a primary connection because I have a firewall. I have a rudamentary uunderstanding of that. When I want to select a primary connection it says I cannot because I have "no TCP port for incoming connections and/or no UDP port for incoming and outgoing connections...".

I have DSL and Windows XP, if ya need to know.

Can any1 help me out or direct me to some websites that may help me out?

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.
#228286 03/25/04 08:36 AM
J
jwb Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
J
Why do you want a primary connection?

I tried it once. I have a hardware firewall, and configured it so it would pass-thru WinMX's ports and got a primary connection working.

Big mistake. Talk about a bandwidth hog! My cable connection went from using a trickle to full network saturation real quick. Not only did having a primary connection suck up all my available bandwidth, but it slowed my computer down so much, it was unusable.

Now, I think WinMX will let you limit how much bandwidth it is allowed to take - it's been awhile so I can't remember the specifics. This will help with the bandwidth drain. The problem is in the Terms of Usage Agreement the cable company my internet connection is with. They have a 20 gig limit/month. Sounds like a lot, but at the rate WinMX was sucking it up, it wouldn't have lasted long.

For the answers to a lot of questions, check out:

MX Central

or the

Slyck\'s Guide to WinMX page

for more information.

For me - having a primary connection wasn't worth the drain it put on my internet connection and my machine.

--
Jeff
#228287 03/25/04 04:50 PM
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
Oh dear. Thx for the info. thumbsup

I had to stop downloading this evening. My computer cannot handle it and it froze and crashed. My computer doesn't have enuf brain bits.

Oh well. II'll just have to wait for the DVD or save up for a better computer.

Ack. huh

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.

Moderated by  Darth Michael 

Link Copied to Clipboard