Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#228239 11/19/03 12:31 PM
Xanabee Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Okay, here goes: I don't know how to tell my pop up killer not to eat the Preview Post window so I shut it off. Just checking if I can preview this post.

Yay! It worked! Now I have to remember to shut it off when I'm on this board and to reactivate it when I'm surfing the net. smile

Lois: Well, I like my quirks. I think they make me unique.
Clark: You certainly are unique.

Clark: You're high maintenance, you know that?
Lois: But I'm worth it!
#228240 11/19/03 01:49 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
What pop-up killer are you using? Many of them have the option of allowing pop-ups on only certain sites.

If yours doesn't, try the Google Toolbar . Wonderful pop-ups blocker, and Google at your fingertips.

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
#228241 11/20/03 01:05 AM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
A pop-up killer that has an clickable on/off button is probably much handier than one you need to constantly configure, Ursie.

Besides this site, I've found that mine prevents me from using lots of other sites - when online shopping for instance and you have to link from the home page to various products. I reckon that I have to shut it off in fully two thirds of the sites I use regularly. So it's really handy to have a quick and easy method to switch it on and off in a second.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#228242 11/20/03 03:25 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Pop-up blockers that I use seem to be over-rideable using CTRL at the same time as clicking on the link. So try clicking on Preview Post, say, and holding down the CTRL key at the same time.

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
#228243 11/20/03 11:30 PM
Xanabee Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Rivka, I found my pop up killer at pbar.net. It came highly recommended in a computer magazine I bought recently and it's FREE! wink

It's part of a package that gives you some extra choices in your internet explorer heading: several search engines (incl Google), dictionary, images, downloads, a mail washer and such.

So, LabRat, if you'd prefer just switching a pop up killer on and off you might want to try this one. Works for me.

Wendy, your ctrl tip doesn't work with this one. Do you really have more than one pop up killer? Isn't one sufficient? Just curious. I already had a pop up scanner that's supposed to scan them for viruses. But it lets them through so that's why I wanted a tool to stop them from popping up in my face. smile

Thanks for your suggestions, ladies. I really appreciate it! thumbsup

#228244 11/21/03 01:25 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Sorry to confuse you, Ursie - I have Pop-Up Stopper at work and the Google pop-up thingy at home, and using the CTRL key works with each of them. That's what I meant by having more than one!

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
#228245 11/21/03 09:07 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
I've used the google toolbar for some time at home now, and it works fantastic. So I thought I'd install it at work as well, since pop-ups are one of the reasons my computer keeps acting weird.

But it doesn't work. Why? It's quite simple, you need IE 5.5 or higher. So if it doesn't work for anyone else, you now know why. I just hate not having the modern equipment to work with. Windows 95 and IE 5. No wonder there are so much problems around here.

Too bad they won't listen to the intern. laugh

Saskia (who'll be glad to go back to just her laptop)

I tawt I taw a puddy cat!
#228246 11/21/03 03:02 PM
RL Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
I use the Google popup blocker on my PC's. For my Macs, I use Apple's web browser, Safari, which has popup blocking built-in.

While Google is good, it often blocks popups that I want to show up, like preview and such. Safari, on the other hand, has the finest popup blocker I've ever seen. It seems to recognize which ones are ads and which ones aren't. All the popups here come up just fine. But I've seen hide nor hair of any ad popups, EVER!

Somehow Safari figures out if a link directly causes a popup or indirectly causes one. I've yet to see a popup I don't want to see, nor have I failed to get a popup I do want to see. Amazing!

Too bad Apple doesn't port their browser to the PC. If they did, bye bye Google bar.

-- Roger

"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself." -- Benjamin Franklin
#228247 11/25/03 04:29 AM
Xanabee Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Just trying out the 'control key' function Wendy was talking about. smile

Hey! Now it works. I have to hold down the ctrl key first and then click on the preview post. All right! thumbsup

Moderated by  Darth Michael 

Link Copied to Clipboard