Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#228038 05/05/03 05:55 AM
Trenna Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
This is going great! Thanks for all the hints.

This weekend, while I'm traveling, I'll try to put this together into a reference page!

Thanks for all the input! smile1

#228039 05/05/03 07:07 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Annie, Kathy, I'm *wounded* that you doubt me! I just wanted to give someone else a chance to answer. I was around back when various people were TDOCKs and TDOLLs!

Mel, Paul's summed it up rather well. I thought a mention might be funny, but there's a point at which readers' eyes glaze over. wink I wouldn't want to talk too much and wear out my welcome smile

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#228040 05/05/03 05:11 PM
Columnist
Columnist
Okay, Pam... I won't pursue it any more. Promise.

Do, or do not. There is no try.
- Yoda
#228041 05/26/03 03:07 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
frown Ya'll are asking all these really hard questions about IRC and I can't even figure out how to use the darn thing! Anybody want to help me?

Caroline

You've gotta be original, because if you're like someone else, what do they need you for?
~Bernadette Peters
#228042 05/26/03 03:41 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Howdy

The Lovely Evil Elena took this pic for me when I was figuring out how to get on.

[Linked Image]

It shows the server she recommended with the big red arrow (at least for the L&C channels), and then after you pick a nickname, click connect to IRC. Then it'll take forever to connect (if it's my computer <g>) and a join channel screen will come up...the one I go to is #loisclark so I type

'#loisclark password'...the L&C ones are password protected.

Also go here for more info http://lcfanfic.com/faq_archive.html#whatisirc

The Archive there has plenty of info on it, plus there are people way more IRC coordinated than I am here <g>.

Jen

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
#228043 05/26/03 08:41 PM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Jen's already pointed you to the ARchive FAQ, Caroline, where you'll find basic instructions, which should hopefully help you get started.

Once you have mirc downloaded and installed, the main thing to remember about connecting to an LNC channel is that you must use an Undernet server from among those on the server list. If you don't you'll probably end up sitting in an empty channel. <G>

Any undernet server will do - if you don't get a connection first time, simply switch to another and try again. Very rarely, mirc is so busy that none of them will let you connect, but most times you should be able to get on with one of them.

You can tell when you are connected by the fact that after the rush of text you get you are greeted by a 'Fact of the Day' from your chosen server. You see that on the screen - you're in.

If you have problems along the way - just ask! We've all been there. It is never a dumb question. smile

LabRat (remembering sitting in a channel of her own for hours because someone forgot to tell her it had to be an Undernet server....)

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#228044 05/27/03 05:34 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Really, Labby? I thought it was just me! blush

I sat there for hours, several times, trying different times of day... and wondered where everyone was! Then I saw a post that casually mentioned the Undernet... and these days, I can occasionally be found there. wink

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Darth Michael 

Link Copied to Clipboard