Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#228018 04/29/03 05:38 AM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Can't remember the exact acronym, but it's definitely a protest against authors ending story segments with ************* Mostly, it's against ending smoochies or steam scenes with ******* (That's sort of the modern equivalent to 'cut to waves lapping on beach, violins playing...') laugh

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#228019 04/29/03 08:05 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Pam said that you can use tx for thanks. Another common one for thanks/thank you is ta.
Yeah, but that's not an acronym so much as an expression used Across the Pond -- I'd say England, or UK, or something, but inevitably someone thwacks me and tells me I'm using the wrong term wink

I thought about adding it in, but it was too complicated, and I gave up. <g>

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#228020 04/29/03 08:12 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
yeah. i found the "ta" thing confusing when i first encountered it. i was taught to use "ty" for "thank you." i could understand "tx" for "thanks," but assumed for some time that "ta" was somehow a typeo. after seeing it used for the 5th or 6th time or so, however, i began to suspect that it wasn't a coincidence... laugh

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
#228021 04/29/03 08:21 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
LOL, Pam - yes, used UK-wide for thanks and not an acronym.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.

The Musketeers
#228022 04/30/03 07:03 PM
A
Columnist
Columnist
A
Wait a minute. Wait a minute.

ta is not an acronym? I had no idea. I'd figured out pretty quickly that it meant thank you and figured it stood for "Thanks a lot." It never occurred to me that it wasn't an acronym.

So, is this something people say, or just write? If it's spoken, how is it pronounced? Tah? T-A?

I'm intrigued by this for some strange reason. <G>

Annie

Being a reporter is as much a diagnosis as a job description. ~Anna Quindlen
#228023 04/30/03 07:22 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Tah. It's just a shortened version of thank you, commonly used. And, yes, used in both written and spoken forms.

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
#228024 04/30/03 10:20 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Yay! The STPWFIGSW* got a mention! smile1 The exact translation of the acronym is "Society To Prevent Writers From Interrupting Great Scenes With ******************"

There's also the SCFLSLH (Society Campaigning For Lois's Shoulder-Length Hair), which got recently attacked by Tank and will respond in kind. evil evil evil laugh

Kaethel wildguy wildguy wildguy

- I'm your partner. I'm your friend.
- Is that what we are?
- Oh, you know what? I don't know what we are. We kiss and then we never talk about it. We nearly die frozen in each other's arms, but we never talk about it, so no, I got no clue what we are.

~ Rick Castle and Kate Beckett ~ Knockout ~
#228025 05/01/03 03:33 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
who's extra project is to make an IRC Chat manual for FoLCs that is easier to read than the one mIRC has
Thanks Trenna, you're a star! I don't have irc yet, so this is reference for when I do.

I have got a Q though. What, if any, is the difference between mIRC and IRC?

Loriel (who must find time, sometime soon, to download IRC)

"Inappropriate attachment" didn't begin to cover the depth of the feelings Vaughn had for Sydney Bristow.
~Ties That Bind by RJ Anderson~

I ramble at http://www.livejournal.com/~loriel_eris
#228026 05/01/03 04:12 AM
B
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
B
Didn't know that ta was an Across the Pond expression. I learn something new even after school is out! smile

And Loriel -- IRC is the general term. mIRC is the specific IRC program that people use. Mac users have... IRCle, I think. I don't know what other programs are available.

Is that about as clear as mud now? :p

Bethy

I don't suffer from insanity...I enjoy every minute of it.
#228027 05/01/03 05:18 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Ah, now I understand. Or at least better than I did! wink Will become crystal clear, I hope (!), when I get started! Eventually!

Loriel

"Inappropriate attachment" didn't begin to cover the depth of the feelings Vaughn had for Sydney Bristow.

#228028 05/01/03 05:25 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
As far as I know, IRC is the term for the network of servers; mIRC and IRCle are the programs you use to connect and communicate with the IRC network. mIRC is shareware -- you can download it here: www.mirc.com and then register it later if you think it's worth it. I think it's a great program, and it's a nice way to hang out with friends smile

The archive has a section in their FAQ about it: http://lcfanfic.com/faq_archive.html#whatisirc and the "channel" a lot of us hang out on is #loisclark -- it's password-protected just to keep out the random trolls and make sure we're not corrupting minors wink You can sign up for the password here: http://www.nfanfic.net/loisclark.html

And everyone is welcome smile Of course, you may come in, see us acting like loons, and decide to get out while the gettin's good <g> but that's a risk we'll have to take wink

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#228029 05/01/03 05:46 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Oh, willing to take the risk! :p I just need to find some free time, and then co-ordinate my free time with a 'quiet' time on the net, so that it doesn't take too long to download. (I'm with a pay monthly for unlimited acess ISP, but they throw me off after 2hrs so if something's in the middle of downloading I loose it - it happened when I tried to download a video. frown Will need to time it better next time!) Anyway, I think the free time at home (where I can't as easliy spend hrs on the net without parents remarking 'Don't you have exams soon?') may prove elusive for a while! It would be good if I could use it at uni! I would never leave here.

Loriel (who really should go home as its almost 6pm and she had done no work since just after 2... kept getting distracted!)

#228030 05/04/03 10:41 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Just remembered another one:

phone!

Meaning, it has rung and I'm afk while answering it. Not give me a call. <G>

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
#228031 05/04/03 01:48 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Heh heh, I've got another acronym for you ...

TDASC

Hint: I'm the founding member. <g>

Kathy (who thinks Pam's FARCE is also a very worthwhile club to join laugh )

#228032 05/04/03 01:54 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hah, Kathy, ask something hard next time wink

PJ
founding member of the Kryptonite Bat Brigade, formed a few minutes after the very first airing of Contact wink

"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#228033 05/04/03 02:36 PM
A
Columnist
Columnist
A
Hah, Kathy, ask something hard next time
/me raises an eyebrow. She finds it very suspicious that Pam claims this is an "easy one" yet conveniently forgets to answer the question....

But she's missed her chance now, because I know the answer! <EG>

TDASC is the Tireless Defenders Against Saint Clark. I know this well because Kathy won't let me get away with writing Clark as an angel who never does wrong. When I get my story back with the note "TDASAC" I know I've written him as a saint rather than a regular guy. <G>

I'm actually not sure if I've got the acronym right, I'm just guessing since I know what it means. Someone correct me if I've got the actual words wrong.

Annie

Being a reporter is as much a diagnosis as a job description. ~Anna Quindlen
#228034 05/04/03 03:40 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
LOL, Annie. Yes, you've got it right. It's a very important function, don't you know. <g>

Kathy (who also noticed that Pam declined to answer wink )

#228035 05/04/03 06:38 PM
Columnist
Columnist
Pam!

"...founding member of the Kryptonite Bat Brigade, formed a few minutes after the very first airing of Contact..."

This sounds like a story waiting to happen. Please tell us, oh great Chief Editor smile

Melisma (dying for a story, here under her Rock)

Do, or do not. There is no try.
- Yoda
#228036 05/04/03 06:45 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
sorry, mel. not much to that one, iirc. contact ended with clark breaking up with lois "for her own good." that got a lot of folcs rather upset with him, and some of them decided that they wanted to educate clark about the brilliance of that idea with the help of a kryptonite baseball bat. great idea, very fun, but not much of a story to tell.

if you want a good story, i guess you're going to have to go back to harry potter. or the archive. always plenty of good stories there, and you don't even have to wait for the next part (silly authors, taking time to sleep and living in different time zones and actually waiting a couple of days between story posts...)

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
#228037 05/04/03 10:28 PM
Columnist
Columnist
Originally posted by HatMan:
...you don't even have to wait for the next part (silly authors, taking time to sleep and living in different time zones and actually waiting a couple of days between story posts...)

Paul
Yeah, silly authors. You're all super: you don't have to sleep. And of course you can stay up all night so you can post your stories when *I'm* up. And hey, just post the next part right now, 'cause I'm on the edge of my seat here!

Silly authors... yeah...

But hey, we love you, so don't let our impatience get to you, okay?

Melisma (sending the authors a couple billion cyberhugs from under her Rock)

Do, or do not. There is no try.
- Yoda
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Darth Michael 

Link Copied to Clipboard