Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#227762 03/21/14 06:53 PM
Matrix Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Hi all. This post is sort of for Wendy or Labby if either of them are seeing this.

Ahem...

What were you thinking not telling me to plant my butt down in a sofa and watch Doctor Who back in 2006 when I was on here writing away for Lois & Clark. OMG!!! A good friend of mine finally convinced me to watch it and...wow. I was totally hooked and blown away by it.

What a devastating love story it weaves. It chews you up, spits you out, and the worst part is...you like it. :p

Anyway, I'm all caught up and waiting for Peter Capaldi to take the reigns in the fall. I even got so sucked in, that I was tempted to write a short one off fic (a mere 25 pages) about Rose and the alternate doctor. Had no idea where to post it so stuck it on a generic fanfiction.net account.

Anyway, I still lurk around these boards from time to time. I feel bad for not saying hello more often.

Are there any other Whovians out there? If not, why not?!? You don't know what you're missing. wink

--DJ smile

Smile and the world smiles with you ... frown and you're just giving yourself wrinkles.
#227763 03/21/14 09:35 PM
Columnist
Columnist
I've seen a few Whovians around these parts!

Personally, I adore the seasons with Nine and Ten, but once Moffat took over it got progressively worse and I can't stomach it anymore. Don't get me wrong, I think Matt Smith was a perfect fit, and was very talented as The Doctor. I just wish he had been given better material to work with. This article (spoilers!) actually sums up my feelings on it perfectly.

As it is, I'll always cherish my time with Eccleston and Tennant, and luckily I have no problem watching their seasons over and over again!

I'm curious to know who everyone's favorite companions are. I love Rose, and I love Martha, but Donna is unquestionably my favorite.

"Lois Lane is Clark Kent's Superman." - Brian Miller
#227764 03/21/14 10:33 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Oh yeah. Doctor Who is awesome.

I remember the regeneration from 4 to 5! But then my childhood watching faded when 6 regenerated into 7. I've not seen any of Sylvester McCoy's doctor, I think. I've seen Paul McGann's film only once. It was fantastic to see him again in the little short lead up to last years specials.

My favourite is definitely 10. David Tennant is just superb.

My daughter started watch at about 3 years old. She did watch 10 but doesn't remember it much. 11 is her doctor. She cried after watching Amy's last episode. She loved Amy. She cried even more after Matt Smith's last episode. Almost inconsolable. She is 8 now.

KatherineKent/Victoria
Lois: "You put up with me for the same reason I put up with you. It's because I'm completely in love with you."
Clark: "And I love you ... Did we just make up?"
Lois: "I think so."
#227765 03/22/14 09:25 AM
Matrix Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Originally posted by Cape Fetish:
I've seen a few Whovians around these parts!

Personally, I adore the seasons with Nine and Ten, but once Moffat took over it got progressively worse and I can't stomach it anymore.
Jessi! Its so nice to see you're still around here. I LOVE Tennant. Eccleston was my first doctor, but Tennant will ALWAYS hold the spot in my heart. Sorry to hear how you feel about Moffat. I always kind of liked his writing. Are you my mummy? Loved that. And The Girl in the Fireplace, Blink, and Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead are some of my favorite episodes. I had a really hard time with Matt (don't get me wrong, I really like him now and have accepted him and think he did a great job as the doctor) but I think it was mainly because I didn't want to let Tennant go.

Anyway, I'll always have a special place in my heart for Rose because that's who 10 was in love with. And it was such a tragic love story. I thought Donna was great. She was brave and always helped the Doctor however he needed it. And I loved Donna for her sass. She could always make me laugh. Of course I bawled like a baby though when the Doctor had to take her memory.

Originally posted by KatherineKent:
Oh yeah. Doctor Who is awesome.

I remember the regeneration from 4 to 5! But then my childhood watching faded when 6 regenerated into 7. I've not seen any of Sylvester McCoy's doctor, I think. I've seen Paul McGann's film only once. It was fantastic to see him again in the little short lead up to last years specials.
Sad to say I didn't start until recently. But I have gone back and watched some of the older doctors and I watched the movie. Also watched that movie around the anniversary about the origins of Doctor Who - An Adventure in Space and Time. Really liked it.

My favourite is definitely 10. David Tennant is just superb.
D e f i n i t e l y!

My daughter started watch at about 3 years old. She did watch 10 but doesn't remember it much. 11 is her doctor.
My daughter is 4. She has watched some of Tennant and loves him but she gets scared too easily. Matt's eps are much scarier so she hasn't watched any of them.

Well, that was fun. smile Thanks for indulging me off topic.

DJ

Smile and the world smiles with you ... frown and you're just giving yourself wrinkles.
#227766 03/22/14 10:51 PM
Columnist
Columnist
Originally posted by Matrix:
Sorry to hear how you feel about Moffat. I always kind of liked his writing. Are you my mummy? Loved that. And The Girl in the Fireplace, Blink, and Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead are some of my favorite episodes.
Ironically, those are some of my favorite, too! Girl in the Fireplace and Silence in the Library being my absolute favorites. I really liked Moffat's writing while RTD was in control, but once Moffat took over something changed, and try as I might (and I tried REALLY hard) I just couldn't get into it.

And I struggled with Matt at first, too. Letting go of David was so hard! Ten is forever MY Doctor.

The thing I love about Donna is that she isn't in love with The Doctor. She doesn't fawn over him, or stumble after him blindly. She demands to be treated as his equal (and for a little while there, she was). She's his companion because she's learned so much, and because she cares so deeply for the people they've helped. Not to mention, she's the reason Wilf was around! And Wilf is the beeeest. I don't think a show has ever made me cry as hard as I did when her time as a companion ended!

And it's nice to see you around, too! I didn't know you still lurked here. Go figure, since I do. wink

"Lois Lane is Clark Kent's Superman." - Brian Miller
#227767 03/24/14 06:53 AM
M
Columnist
Columnist
M
Tennant is my favorite, but I've gotten into the older stuff, as well. I really like the 7th and the 4th doctors. My kids will watch anything with Dr. Who, all the way back to the first doctor. My daughter went as a dalek for Halloween last year, and she's got a picture of the seventh on the wall in her room. It's a strange companion to her My Little Pony posters and Disney Princess decorations.

I wrote a short crossover last year, Not a Day at the Beach .

"It is a remarkable dichotomy. In many ways, Clark is the most human of us all. Then...he shoots fire from the skies, and it is difficult not to think of him as a god. And how fortunate we all are that it does not occur to him." -Batman (in Superman/Batman #3 by Jeph Loeb)
#227768 03/24/14 07:28 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Originally posted by mrsMxyzptlk:
I wrote a short crossover last year, Not a Day at the Beach .
Read it when you first posted. Loved it. You're characterizations were spot on. Absolutely perfect.

KatherineKent/Victoria
Lois: "You put up with me for the same reason I put up with you. It's because I'm completely in love with you."
Clark: "And I love you ... Did we just make up?"
Lois: "I think so."
#227769 03/24/14 08:34 AM
M
Columnist
Columnist
M
Originally posted by Cape Fetish:
The thing I love about Donna is that she [b]isn't in love with The Doctor.[/b]
I agree! I tried reading some Doctor Who fanfiction, but much of what I ran across had The Doctor and Donna getting together, which is completely out of character and killed it for me. I stopped bothering. Granted, I was also a bit overwhelmed by the sheer volume of fics. I suppose that there are probably plenty of stories that would appeal to me, but when I didn't like any of the ones I read, I figured my time was better spent on reading Superman stories. smile

"It is a remarkable dichotomy. In many ways, Clark is the most human of us all. Then...he shoots fire from the skies, and it is difficult not to think of him as a god. And how fortunate we all are that it does not occur to him." -Batman (in Superman/Batman #3 by Jeph Loeb)
#227770 03/24/14 08:35 AM
M
Columnist
Columnist
M
Originally posted by KatherineKent:
Originally posted by mrsMxyzptlk:
[b] I wrote a short crossover last year, Not a Day at the Beach .
Read it when you first posted. Loved it. You're characterizations were spot on. Absolutely perfect. [/b]
blush laugh Thanks! smile1

#227771 03/24/14 10:26 AM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Unfortunately, although I really tried my hardest, I just couldn't take to Matt Smith's Doctor or Amy Pond, so I haven't watched for ages. Tennant was definitely my Doctor.

I'm really looking forward to Peter Capaldi taking over. I've always loved his work and it's a new chance to reconnect.

My only issue is that it means Capaldi has had to be written out of my new favourite, The Musketeers, due to DW filming. He's been both hilarious and slimily villianous in the role of Richelieu and he'll be missed in S2.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#227772 03/24/14 06:28 PM
Matrix Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
And it's nice to see you around, too! I didn't know you still lurked here. Go figure, since I do. [Wink]
I really should lurk more. I just can't find the time. It's a real bummer.

It's a strange companion to her My Little Pony posters and Disney Princess decorations.
I hear ya. My little 4 yr old daughter has Disney stuff and Strawberry Shortcake all over her room, but in the midst of that is a Titan 10th Doctor figure, a tiny adipose and a giant adipose that my friend got her (whom I just got hooked on Doctor Who).

I wrote a short crossover last year, Not a Day at the Beach.
Might have to take a look at that. I wrote a Doctor Who fanfic and posted it on fanfiction.net. It's strictly DW and is based on what might have happened between Rose and the Metacrisis doctor after season 4 Journey's End when the Doctor drops them off and leaves them in the alternate universe.

Unfortunately, although I really tried my hardest, I just couldn't take to Matt Smith's Doctor or Amy Pond, so I haven't watched for ages. Tennant was definitely my Doctor.

I'm really looking forward to Peter Capaldi taking over. I've always loved his work and it's a new chance to reconnect.

My only issue is that it means Capaldi has had to be written out of my new favourite, The Musketeers, due to DW filming. He's been both hilarious and slimily villianous in the role of Richelieu and he'll be missed in S2.

LabRat [Smile]
First off...Labby!!!! Hi there! I've missed you!

Okay. I'm calm now. smile

I fought hard against Matt because I loved Tennant so much. It was nearly physically painful to watch him for the whole 5th season. He finally grew on me during the 6th season until I quite liked him by the end. The 7th season was just so-so for me (The Day of the Doctor not withstanding...loved, loved, LOVED it...if for nothing else because I got to see 10 again!) But just when I would think that I really did like Matt Smith's doctor, I would go back and rewatch an episode with Tennant, and then I would remember what made him untouchable and why I loved him so much and why no one else could measure up. smile But I am really looking forward to Capaldi. Sorry about losing him in The Musketeers. I've heard that is a good show. As far as British shows go, I watch DW, Sherlock, and some of the series like Broadchurch, Escape Artist (Um, anything really with David Tennant in it). My friends have been trying to get me into Downton Abbey, but I haven't made the plunge yet.

Thanks for all the responses guys! It's been fun to see who's a Who fan. Who's Who. :p

#227773 03/28/14 02:58 PM
Features Writer
Features Writer
I don't tend to pop into the boards very much anymore either, but when I did just a few minutes ago and started reading this thread I was just flailing my arms around in delight.

DJ, good to 'see' you again! I could basically quote back every word you wrote and say, "I agree, I agree," but I'll try to confine myself to

I LOVE Tennant. Eccleston was my first doctor, but Tennant will ALWAYS hold the spot in my heart.
My best friend and I both started watching a few months ago. She's a big Matt Smith fan - she started with one of his episodes, and has remained true. I started with watching the 2005 episodes on Netflix, and much as I do enjoy Matt Smith, he is well below Tennant (and Eccleston) in my heart.

For companions, I have a soft spot in my heart for Rose, just as the Doctor did, but Donna is my favorite. Partly as mentioned because she didn't have romantic feelings for him. I honestly think that she was his best friend and that he would have been able to tell her things that he would never have been able to tell anyone else, including Rose. I was so upset at the way RTD wrote her out. (And I don't even count her appearance in Tennant's final two episodes.) Between that and my "feels" about the loneliness that he would be facing with EVERYBODY gone, I was a basket case after watching "Journey's End". (And like a glutton for punishment, I have re-watched it more than once... goofy I didn't like some of the stuff that Ten was scripted to do or say, almost like Moffat was trying to make him look more ridiculous in comparison to Eleven. And I definitely didn't like his last line referencing what he said for his regeneration - it cheapened it for me.

OK, almost done. Lately I've been binging on Tennant stuff that I've found online or at Netflix. And I do recommend Downton Abbey, which I was obsessed with for a couple of years recently. In my opinion, the first two seasons are excellent. The third was strong, but I was disappointed with some of the plotting. And the fourth was a strong downhill slide from the previous ones. Very disappointing for a show that I loved so much. YMMV, of course.

Wow, I can't remember the last time I wrote so long a post. That was fun.

Kathy smile

"Our thoughts form the universe. They always matter." - Babylon 5
#227774 03/29/14 02:15 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Originally posted by Matrix:
Of course I bawled like a baby though when the Doctor had to take her memory.
I cried, too. Donna had so much growth over her season, it was sad to see it taken away. After subsequent viewings on BBCA, where they've trimmed the episode, I realized it was Wilf's final speech to the doctor that really did me in.

Ten is "my" doctor, and Donna is probably my favorite, though I really enjoyed Amy and Rory. I can't wait to see how Capaldi does. It'll be interesting having an older Doctor again.

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
#227775 03/30/14 06:07 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Donna was definitely my favourite, too. I was less than pleased with the reset ending to their relationship. Especially as there seemed to be an obvious solution back in the Library

DJ! Hello! Welcome home. sloppy Sorry, I didn't even notice who started the thread. Was feeling woozy with flu last time I posted.

I do enjoy Downton of a Sunday evening, but I still maintain that it doesn't hold a candle to the original Upstairs Downstairs from the 1970s. If you get the chance, do watch both.

And, yes, try The Musketeers when it arrives! It's a fun hour of banter, adventure and romance with one of the best, toe-tapping themes around. Really brightens my week. Last episode this evening. I'm really going to miss these guys til S2.

LabRat

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#227776 04/16/14 03:43 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Ooh, Doctor Who! Yes, that's where I disappeared to when I moved on from here around seven years ago. So great to see other FoLCs discovering it now!

Eccleston is my favourite Doctor, hands-down, with Tennant a close second. Of the Classics, I prefer Jon Pertwee (Three). When Matt Smith came along, and Moffat took over as showrunner, I tried so hard to keep liking the series, but I had to give up watching. I did watch the last couple of specials - the final one was absolutely terrible, a complete mess - and I'm looking forward to Capaldi taking over, though with Moffat still in charge I can't guarantee that I'll love his era, sadly.

Companions: my favourite Team TARDIS is Nine, Rose and Jack. I did enjoy Nine on his own with Rose as well, but Ten and Rose were just too silly sometimes. That said, I still rate S2 far above any of the subsequent seasons except S4: Donna and Ten were just wonderful together (though I could have done without the Library episodes; I loathe River Song. Was not at all pleased when she reappeared during the Eleven years).

If anyone is looking for fanfic, I'd recommend starting with A Teaspoon and an Open Mind , which is the main fanfic archive for the DW fandom. The main organisation there is by Doctor, but you can also search for particular characters, pairings and genre. I'd also recommend, if you find an author you enjoy, taking a look at that author's favourites list - it's a good way of discovering other authors and stories you might like. Also, the Doctor Who section on An Archive Of Our Own is growing, and their fic tagging and search system is really good.

Anyone watch Lewis? That's my current interest... goofy

ETA: A couple of you mentioned enjoying the Ten and Donna era, but being disappointed in fanfic which was romance. Let me know if anyone is interested: I know some really good Ten and Donna fic that's much more like the series: best friends, sparky and fun together.

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard