Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#227637 01/06/14 04:50 AM
C
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
C
I don't live in St. Louis anymore but I saw a graphic on some of my friend's pages that sums up there. It showed a cop (or security guard) holding one hand up and saying "Sorry folks, St. Louis is closed." They got a lot more snow than we did. We got rain/then freezing rain/sleet THEN finally snow (only a few inches). It's also the coldest temperatures in my life (literally). Right now we are 2 degrees Fahrenheit with an expectation that it will get even colder. I have our fireplace on at full-blast and the heat doesn't seem to be filling up our room much (usually when I do this when it's in the 10s to 20s it's like a bit of a sauna under out heavy comforter.) I just hope Solomon doesn't feel too cold. Just having my arms above the comforter is making me a bit shivery.

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)
#227638 01/06/14 05:23 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
sad Hope you're staying warm, Christina. Below zero F' has happened often around here this fall/winter, but with little snow. Sounds like you might have an air leak somewhere causing the cold air to come into the room. Try putting a towel between your threshold and your front door. If that doesn't work, I'm sure Solomon wouldn't say 'no' (besides the fact that he hasn't reached that age yet) to some skin to skin body heat. Stay warm!

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
#227639 01/06/14 09:57 AM
Kerth
Kerth
Yikes! And here I think I'm freezing in 50 degrees...

Just as an FYI though, leave a tap running in your house overnight. We had a big snowstorm about a month ago and our pipes froze overnight-- luckily they didn't burst, but it took a little over a day of melting snow to boil water and run it down the pipes to unfreeze them. :p You probably already know to do that though, we were just snow newbies and had no clue.

Stay warm!

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
#227640 01/06/14 12:01 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
I thought you were in SoCal, Mouserocks. Are you in the mountains? I can definitely say it isn't cold or snowy here now--70 degrees, 10% humidity, and Santa Ana winds blowing away what little moisture there is.

For you FOLCS farther east:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

And, finally, you know it\'s cold when it inspires fanfic writers.

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
#227641 01/06/14 01:19 PM
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
I live in Minnesota. It was 23 below zero this morning when I went to work. Wind chills were in the thirty below ranges. Nuff said.

Tank (who is getting real tired of the cold this winter and we're only a quarter way in)

#227642 01/06/14 02:06 PM
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Annie, I love those cards.

Tank, ugh! 'nuff said.

Here our low is supposed to be 8 tonight, with wind chills making it feel around 10-15 below. My son's school has already been closed for tomorrow because of the cold. Delaware's public schools sometimes seem to close at the merest rumour that a snow flake might fall, but I don't recall them ever closing before just because it's going to be a bit chilly out.

Not that I'm complaining about having a day off (even if I do need to take a sick day myself to have it, since my college is open).

Joy,
Lynn

#227643 01/06/14 04:19 PM
C
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
C
Originally posted by Tank:
I live in Minnesota. It was 23 below zero this morning when I went to work. Wind chills were in the thirty below ranges. Nuff said.

Tank (who is getting real tired of the cold this winter and we're only a quarter way in)
Yup, you definitely have me (and most of my extended family) beat.

It reminds me of when my hubby and I went to New Orleans for the Christmas Holiday a week before Christmas) and virtually no one was out. Not even the locals. It was in the upper forties and the locals were complaining about how cold it was. I was thinking at the time, "40s? for the low is cold? They have NO idea." I think the same applies for me. smile

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)
#227644 01/06/14 07:38 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
The people that winter over at the South Pole have a 300 Club. Wait until the outside temp is -100, crank the sauna up to 200. Get in the sauna, get hot, run outside and make a lap around the pole and back inside. Since you are starting in a sauna this is all naked of course.

#227645 01/06/14 08:31 PM
Kerth
Kerth
Originally posted by Annie B.:
I thought you were in SoCal, Mouserocks. Are you in the mountains? I can definitely say it isn't cold or snowy here now--70 degrees, 10% humidity, and Santa Ana winds blowing away what little moisture there is.
Yup. Used to live in the valley, but we moved up to the middle of nowhere to be near no one (family :p ). Although it's certainly been warmer during the day, probably around fifties/sixties. I thought yesterday felt like spring weather, was getting too warm for my jacket. But our nights are still cold. Though obviously not as bad as negative degrees with Tank. eek

Originally posted by dcarson:
The people that winter over at the South Pole have a 300 Club. Wait until the outside temp is -100, crank the sauna up to 200. Get in the sauna, get hot, run outside and make a lap around the pole and back inside. Since you are starting in a sauna this is all naked of course.
clap The way you just tacked on the naked thing so matter-of-factly just made me bust up laughing. Now my family is looking at me like I'm a crazy person. (They're not wrong.)

--Mark Twain
#227646 01/07/14 07:12 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
I remember one February it got down to 13 degrees here (yes, I know, not that cold compared to some places, but we Southern Californians didn't know what to do with it). The city persisted in watering plants even in the extreme cold, with, per usual, half the water ending up in the street. People weren't expecting the ice and it created quite a traffic jam as cars slid on it and crashed into each other. The lovely tropical landscaping froze (though most of it eventually recovered). The citrus trees in my yard were damaged, but interestingly enough, the ones with sweet fruit (tangelo, kumquat, grapefruit, and orange) were less badly damaged than those with sour fruit (lemon and lime). Someone told me that the sap of the sweet-fruited trees has more sugar than the sap of the sour-fruited trees, and the sugar helps protect against frost damage.

We haven't had snow that stuck to the ground in this town since 1987. We had about an inch and a half then (it used to be more frequent, judging from old photos and the stories told by people who've been here a long time, but it's a warmer, dryer place now than it was 100 years ago).

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."

#227647 01/07/14 12:02 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
My fav pic was the one of the Arch that had a sign thumbtacked/photoshopped on it (it would have been 150 feet tall) that said "Sorry, we're CLOSED".

Officially it got down to -8F. It didn't break the record at the airport, tho. Why? Because the record for January 6th is the ALL TIME RECORD LOW for St Louis, set back in 1884, which was -22F. -8F puts it ranked with the 60th lowest temp of all time along with about 16 other dates. Mind you, it's about 40F below average for the day, so YES, it's FREAKING COLD.

Warmed all the way up to 23F today! Break out the swimwear! We did tie for 9th all-time coldest high yesterday with 2F. Brrrrr

Stay warm, Northern Hemisphere peoples.

PS: Why, yes, I was an atmospheric science major in college. Why do you ask? wink

"It's the mythology of a sun god who wished he was a man because he saw something so great in us.
It's the story of a hero who could move whole worlds and see through stars and hear a whisper on the other side of the planet...
...and who fell in love with a storyteller." - ashmaht (x)
#227648 01/07/14 12:06 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Well it was 7 when I put the grandson on the school bus this morning.

#227649 01/07/14 12:18 PM
M
Columnist
Columnist
M
Thanks for sharing that story. I love Nightwing! smile

My kids have recess inside when it's below 20F. I'm glad the school keeps them in, but playing outside in 20 degree weather is still pretty cold. Where I grew up, we only had recess inside when it rained, and that one winter when it got to freezing temperatures when I was a teenager, it froze my mom's jade plant in our front yard, killing most of it. These days, it seems "warm" outside if it's above freezing.

"It is a remarkable dichotomy. In many ways, Clark is the most human of us all. Then...he shoots fire from the skies, and it is difficult not to think of him as a god. And how fortunate we all are that it does not occur to him." -Batman (in Superman/Batman #3 by Jeph Loeb)
#227650 01/07/14 04:03 PM
Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
This weekend I spent time in front of the fireplace with the laptop, my knitting and a cup of tea. Cold winter days are the perfect time to do my two favorite things: write and knit.

Of course, this morning I didn't want to take the dog on her usual two mile walk. But she had other ideas and thought I was crazy to insist on coming inside after only walking a quarter mile! You have to love the winter.

Stay warm and safe everyone! wave

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
#227651 01/08/14 11:21 AM
LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Playing catch-up from after the holiday season, and ironically started reading this thread (as I mentally gear up to face the cold and go get our mail with my daughter). We live in North Dakota--originally from Iowa and moved here a year and a half ago for my husband's job. I thought we had cold winters in Iowa, but this winter has really given me a reality check eek ! We had the insanely cold temps here that Tank was referring to--and by today we have rebounded up to a balmy -6 degrees currently thumbsup (hence the gear up to get on all the layers, etc and walk the half block to the communal mail box). It's crazy though...lately have witnessed temperatures that I've only ever read about (before moving here).

Stay warm everyone!
Laura smile

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
#227652 01/09/14 06:09 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
I used to have a dog who liked to lay in the sunshine. It didn't matter what the temperature was, she wanted to lay in the sun. When it got down to 13 degrees, she still wanted to lay in the sun, despite the grass beneath her being frozen. She would lay out there, shivering and looking miserable, but she wouldn't move until the other dog went out, grabbed her by the ear, and tried to drag her into the house. Even then, she broke away and went to lie in the freezing sunshine again. This dog would also lie in the sun when it was 112 in the shade (and thus warmer in the sun). She'd lay there, panting and miserable, and wouldn't move until her buddy grabbed her by the ear and tried to drag her into the shade. Soon, she'd break away and go lie in the sun again. (Amazingly enough, this dog still made it to the ripe old age of 15.)

#227653 01/09/14 10:08 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
It\'s so cold: humor edition from CNN

Some gems:

It's so cold that...

1. Cops yell "thaw!" when chasing bad guys.

2. I had to turn on the air conditioning to warm up the place.

3. My dentures were chattering in their container.

4. Everyone in the bank was wearing a ski mask.

5. You climb inside the refrigerator to stay warm.

6. The sequel to The Day After Tomorrow will now be titled Today.

7. I'm shivering like a mobster in a tax office.

#227654 01/09/14 11:04 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by Annie B.:
It\'s so cold: humor edition from CNN

Some gems:

It's so cold that...

1. Cops yell "thaw!" when chasing bad guys.

2. I had to turn on the air conditioning to warm up the place.

3. My dentures were chattering in their container.

4. Everyone in the bank was wearing a ski mask.

5. You climb inside the refrigerator to stay warm.

6. The sequel to The Day After Tomorrow will now be titled Today.

7. I'm shivering like a mobster in a tax office.
thumbsup We had a heatwave; how about Mr. Freeze comes to town... except maybe not the Arnold version.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
#227655 01/09/14 12:51 PM
LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Great rotflol Thanks for the laugh, Annie! Helped to warm me up...

Laura

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
#227656 01/14/14 09:29 PM
Kerth
Kerth
Not to be *that* kind of person, but this popped up on facebook and...

[Linked Image]

I couldn't resist. laugh peep

--Mark Twain
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard