Wearing my game designer hat for a moment, one of the things I do is find copyright expired Victorian / Edwardian science fiction and put it on line as support material for my games.

I've had two science fiction stories by Kipling on my site since the start; With the Night Mail (1905) and As Easy as A.B.C. (1912), both set in an airship utopia where the only government is the Aerial Board of Control, whose main job is to make the airships run on time. The first is a travelogue describing a trip from London to Canada and is accompanied by fake articles and adverts from the magazine in which it is supposed to have appeared; the second is a techno-thriller set a few years later, which mentions in passing force fields, tractor beams, robot tractors, and other fun stuff.

I've gradually got hold of early magazine versions and added their illustrations. Recently I've given both some intensive proof-reading, and put them together as an illustrated PDF. I'd be very grateful if people could take a look and let me know if you find any problems.

Warning - the second story uses a racist epiphet which would not be considered acceptable today as part of the name of a statue; I don't think that there are any other problem areas. It's about a 4mb download.

http://www.forgottenfutures.com/game/ff1/nm-abc.pdf

A small version of one of the illustrations to give you the flavour:

[Linked Image]

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game