Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#227217 08/05/13 05:49 AM
A
Blogger
OP Offline
Blogger
A
Which other fandoms do people here belong to? I thought this might be a good way of getting to know people (plus I'm nosy).

I belong mainly to a forum dedicated to the singer/actor Lee Mead who won the BBC Show 'Any Dream Will Do' & has since done several productions including 'Wicked' & 'Legally Blonde' & Oscar Wilde's 'Lord Arthur Saville's Crime'.

It's a very friendly board

Lovelees.com

My other love when it came to forums was an Anne of Green Gables, but my favourite closed; so if anyone knows of another, please let me know.

I'll be interested to see what other people share here.

#227218 08/05/13 07:46 AM
Kerth
Kerth
"Lots" is the answer that makes the most sense for me - I write in a lot of fandoms, mostly TV series, I started out in Buffy fandom so I'm on a discussion board that's part of Twisting the Hellmouth, the big Buffy crossover site.

I'm also involved in literary SF fandom, though not so much on line - I go to conventions etc.

I'm also on two discussion boards for laboratory technology, one for BMW motorbikes, livejournal, etc. etc.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
#227219 08/05/13 08:10 AM
A
Blogger
OP Offline
Blogger
A
Originally posted by Marcus Rowland:
"Lots" is the answer that makes the most sense for me - I write in a lot of fandoms, mostly TV series, I started out in Buffy fandom so I'm on a discussion board that's part of Twisting the Hellmouth, the big Buffy crossover site.

I'm also involved in literary SF fandom, though not so much on line - I go to conventions etc.

I'm also on two discussion boards for laboratory technology, one for BMW motorbikes, livejournal, etc. etc.
Any 'Trek' Next Gen & later boards?

#227220 08/05/13 09:49 AM
Blogger
Blogger
I wrote and played in Highlander and The Young Riders fandoms under my real name. Under MacKenzie Creations, I'm active in Buffy/Angel and Hawaii Five-0 (the new one) fandoms. I have read Pirates of the Caribbean fic, Zorro (New World Productions), Twilight - was active for a while. I tend to be active in one fandom at a time. Especially when I'm writing. I have also read Bones fic. While I watch Castle, I don't do anything online with it. You can look me up on Fanfiction dot net under MacKenzie Creations to rea what I have written. I did write a Superman Returns fic using Dean Cain and Terri Hatcher instead of the actors from the movie. I did this for a 12 days of Clois ficathon on Live Journal. However, it needs to be fleshed out some more before I post it to my ff.net account. You can find the fic under LadyMacKenzie on Live Journal.

{{{hugs to all}}}
Mac
#227221 08/05/13 09:57 AM
A
Blogger
OP Offline
Blogger
A
Always wanted to get into Bones but never quite got around to it.

#227222 08/05/13 10:05 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Titanic. I've been involved in that fandom since I first saw the movie in 1998. I've written many stories, all of which can be found on my website, Anne\'s Story Page . I've also written a Star Wars fic, a Hamlet fic (which was actually a class assignment that I posted online after the class was finished), and quite a number of crossovers between Titanic and other fandoms.

I'm currently working on a Lois and Clark/Hunger Games crossover that I've been posting here and will post on FF.net and my website when I get around to it.

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
#227223 08/05/13 10:17 AM
A
Blogger
OP Offline
Blogger
A
Didn't know there WAS a Titanic fandom; never seen the film

#227224 08/05/13 12:12 PM
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
The only fandom that I've been 'involved' in has been Lois and Clark and these boards and archive.

For the last month or so I've been sampling a lot of Castle fanfiction but I don't participate.

While I've liked a lot of TV series over the years and followed them closely on the tube; I've not gotten involved in any fandom.

It just seems that this L&C fandom is so congenial and easy to participate in when compared to others that I've let this be my only active fandom.

Tank (who feels that from what he's seen, the best writers are also in this fandom)

#227225 08/05/13 07:31 PM
Kerth
Kerth
I'm with Tank on this one... I've written some for Superman movieverse (which is how I got my start over on ff.net, so I'm thankful for that, but really besides a few authors isn't really a strong fandom) and for Castle. I love Castle, it's my favorite show on tv right now, but I don't know of any really good sites for it. It's got some good fics on there, but it's so massive it's a bit hard to work through. There are some other boards that have some better organized fic, but I just really don't like them. Honestly, this is the only board I check regularly because it's so well organized and it's got the best fics. Also, Dean Cain is sexy and this show was the best, and I have OCD, so that's probablly part of it. laugh

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
#227226 08/06/13 06:09 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
#227227 08/06/13 06:25 AM
S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
The best experience I've ever had with fandom and fanfiction was the first group I discovered in the 90s for the short lived sci-fi show Earth 2. It wasn't a big group of people to begin with and we were all so thrilled to discover that there were others like us. It was also my first experience with writing fanfiction. I'm still in contact with many of those friends.

I was also heavily involved with CSI for many years, writing lots of fanfiction and helping others with their projects. Though I wasn't pleased with the direction the show took so I stepped away.

Joan

#227228 08/06/13 11:43 AM
M
Columnist
Columnist
M
I first got into reading fanfic over at the SugarQuill with Harry Potter. I wrote a short once but never posted it anywhere. Later I found the archive and ff.net. Over there I read Superman and Justice League fics. I've read a small handful of Dr. Who stories, but they were mostly Doctor/Donna romances, which is entirely out of character, and they didn't catch my interest enough to read any more.

I've only ever posted anything here. I like the atmosphere here; everyone is very friendly and helpful. I haven't run across any other forums that have caught my interest.

"It is a remarkable dichotomy. In many ways, Clark is the most human of us all. Then...he shoots fire from the skies, and it is difficult not to think of him as a god. And how fortunate we all are that it does not occur to him." -Batman (in Superman/Batman #3 by Jeph Loeb)
#227229 08/06/13 01:04 PM
Kerth
Kerth
Originally posted by AngelRose:
Originally posted by Marcus Rowland:
[b] "Lots" is the answer that makes the most sense for me - I write in a lot of fandoms, mostly TV series, I started out in Buffy fandom so I'm on a discussion board that's part of Twisting the Hellmouth, the big Buffy crossover site.

Any 'Trek' Next Gen & later boards? [/b]
Not me - I've written one longish DS9 crossover plus a couple of drabbles, but I'm really not into the fandom intensely enough to join boards.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
#227230 08/07/13 04:00 PM
N
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
N
I was pretty involved in the Alias fandom for a few years, even wrote a couple of fics (mercifully now lost to the ages) and was active on several message boards. The show's staggering decline in quality in its final seasons really seemed to run off a large chunk of the fandom (myself included).

These days, I am thoroughly in love with Sherlock (BBC/ PBS). That fandom is very active on Tumblr, and so there is always something going on, even though the original content output of the show itself is, shall we say, meager (over 1.5 years since the last new episode aired, though we just got a season 3 trailer, so yay? smile ).

Probably the common thread among the 3 fandoms (including L&C) that ever captured my intense interest is that I am drawn to shows that prominently highlight stories of "singular devotion." Something innate resonates with me when I see characters willing to do anything for the person they love most (whether romantic interest, child, best friend--just someone they put above all others).

#227231 08/07/13 05:14 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Originally posted by mrsMxyzptlk:
I first got into reading fanfic over at the SugarQuill with Harry Potter.
Ever read After the End off SQ? I'm in the middle (stalled) of narrating it. It'll be about 60 hours of audio by the time I'm finished.

There were some really, really *good* HP fanfics, and some really *really* bad ones.

PS: I am/was a host for PotterFicWeekly . wink

"It's the mythology of a sun god who wished he was a man because he saw something so great in us.
It's the story of a hero who could move whole worlds and see through stars and hear a whisper on the other side of the planet...
...and who fell in love with a storyteller." - ashmaht (x)
#227232 08/07/13 08:29 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I like lots of movies/books/shows but I'm not really involved in any of their message boards at this time. It seems that every time I do get into a fandom, and find a nice forum for it, something happens -- either the people start to fight or the board closes down or the ownership changes hands or the mods start acting like loons or...

So sadly, right now I'm not active on any other MBs besides this one.

Fandom-wise, though, I love Harry Potter (among many other things) and am having a lot of fun on the new website Pottermore. Anyone else on there and want to exchange usernames so we can connect? PM me! smile

Molly
#227233 08/08/13 08:20 AM
C
Top Banana
Top Banana
C
I am kind of active in the generalized Superman fandom (Superman Homepage is one of a number of sites I frequent.) There used to be an active "Reeveverse" (fandom specific to the Christopher Reeve movies/Superman) livejournal and wrote one or two stories involving that version before working on this one. I used to go to the Chuck forum for NBC when it was on and wrote one fanfic associated with it. Also enjoyed the Chakotay/Janeway pairing fanfic-wise but did not write any nor really interact on a forum in that vein.

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)
#227234 08/09/13 01:07 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
I used to read a lot of Sliders fanfic and post on the usenet boards back when it was on, and read a fair amount of Stargate fanfic over the years. I've pretty much stopped reading any fanfic at all. I just don't have the time or inclination anymore.

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
#227235 08/09/13 08:53 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by Karen:
I used to read a lot of Sliders fanfic and post on the usenet boards back when it was on, and read a fair amount of Stargate fanfic over the years. I've pretty much stopped reading any fanfic at all. I just don't have the time or inclination anymore.
You mean, except LnC fanfic, right? Right? wink

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
#227236 08/09/13 12:16 PM
M
Columnist
Columnist
M
Originally posted by Kismatt:
Ever read After the End off SQ?
I remember having read a story by that name, but it's been years since I read any HP fics. I get the impression that it's incredibly long and that I enjoyed it, but I don't remember the story at all.

There were some really, really *good* HP fanfics, and some really *really* bad ones.
I expect that's true of any fandom. Some people just can't write well and either don't know it or don't care.

I've read several Justice League stories lately that have very interesting premises and plots, but the execution is terrible. I slogged through and finished reading them because they were interesting enough, but I was cringing the whole time. With some it's evident that the writer is not a native English speaker, and they just need someone to help them with the homophones, idioms, and phrasing to make it flow well. With others it seems like the writer didn't bother to flesh out the story properly or proofread.

"It is a remarkable dichotomy. In many ways, Clark is the most human of us all. Then...he shoots fire from the skies, and it is difficult not to think of him as a god. And how fortunate we all are that it does not occur to him." -Batman (in Superman/Batman #3 by Jeph Loeb)
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard