Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#227197 07/30/13 10:57 AM
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Hey at all! wave

I hope someone here can help me, because I'm currently writing my bachelor thesis to finish my degree in "nutritional science and home economics".
My subject has to do with cachexia and COPD but I couldn't find a quotable source for a definition of "cachexia" or one to explain the lack of a definition. Does anyone know where I can look? Or has someone experience with cachexia or COPD so I can verify my information?
I'm looking forward to finish studying, because I have several rabid plotbunnys running around here threatening to bite me if I don't do something about them soon... laugh

Thanks in advance.

Kathryn
#227198 07/30/13 03:46 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Wow, this is amazing! I went on Google to answer your question because I had no clue and I actually know someone with the disease!
Go here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cachexia
To summarize, it is a wasting away of a person with no apparent cause. (It is not bulimia where a person simply refuses to eat.)
Turns out my friend had tumors in his upper G.I. which prevented food from digesting. The tumors were removed, but he is still having problems. Basically, he is wasting away because the nutrients are not being taken from the food by his body. He is beginning cancer treatment shortly. All this is devastating news for his family of course.
This apparently is a little known and little studied disease. The man has been rail thin his whole life, but now he is even thinner.
I can say more if that will help your paper.
regards
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
#227199 07/30/13 03:50 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
COPD, well known in TV ads is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_obstructive_pulmonary_disease .
It differs from asthma in that the lungs themselves are not functioning. Asthma is a blockage of the airways. Neither of these diseases would seem to respond to any nutritional change.
again, regards
Artemis
That's funny, it won't link back. Go on Google search and search COPD.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_obstructive_pulmonary_disease
The last one links and the first one doesn't. huh

#227200 07/31/13 01:22 AM
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
The reason the first line didn't work is because there is a period as the last character of the URL.

Joy,
Lynn

#227201 07/31/13 03:19 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Aha! I see it.
smile1
Artemis

#227202 07/31/13 10:02 PM
Kerth
Kerth
shock Should not have clicked on this page!! I'm not allowed to talk about diseases, or google them, or even think about going near WebMD /nudge, nudge/

Check there. The site has a lot of scary/fascinating information, depending on which side of hypochondria you fall.... Don't worry. I figured I'd just throw the website out there since I didn't notice it mentioned yet, and I am now closing the tab. This instant. There. Already done. Now I need to go find something happy to read before I decide that I have another rare form of cancer or unknowingly have some rare blood disorder that makes me have a lower immune system.... (I don't have either... I'm about 65% sure....)

*Okay, so I lied. I looked at one slideshow. Good news is my nails are healthy-- meaning I don't have lupus or something... I do have OCD, though, but my nail-biting habit I can usually keep under control as long as I keep them painted.

/rambles onward and seriously shuts down WebMD/

smile Relief...

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
#227203 08/01/13 04:11 AM
Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
I'd suggest you search Pubmed . I found an article that might be suitable, but I seem unable to post it here.

It's never too dark to be cool. cool

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard