Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#226990 01/11/13 11:20 AM
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
(Note: Not a discussion on *the* media, i.e. news, but formats of pieces.)

I thought about this when I was forced to watch the movie "The Lake House" a few weeks ago (which I still maintain that I guessed the ending for within the first ten minutes) and came to a realization. The storyline itself is fairly good for a chick flik, other than the fact that they tend to beat you over the head with the point and drag it out WAY too long. I think it's mostly how it was made that made it so unbearable(and the actors-- not the best combo with Sandra Bullock and Keanu Reeves). I think it could have been made into a short film, or even an animated short, and get the same message across without grating on their audiences. (And in fact, I might attempt a re-creation of sorts to that end. And it won't involve any talking.)

But it got me thinking about the way we present our stories. Even Lois and Clark, if it were presented with the same actors and same time frame and plot and everything, but in a movie format, it wouldn't be the same. Fanfic kind of allows us to toy with that concept, but otherwise, as much as I would love to see Dean and teri on the big screen, it was most successful because of its serialized format (even though we all would love it regardless).

So I got to wondering what other shows/movies/books would work in another format. Everyone knows books are usually hacked to death in movies, but again, there's a reason for that. A good example I think of the difference between even books and television is the show Castle and then the Nikki Heat book series that spun off of it (I suppose the books could be adapted into any form, but I could picture them best in the form of a feature film).

What have you come across? Any stories where you felt this would make a great movie/show/etc.? Or for that matter, any fanfic that you wish could be adapted into an actual episode or movie format to better depict it? Just curious. cool

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
#226991 01/11/13 11:52 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Very few TV shows have made successful movies, I think, because it's hard to write for the masses who don't know the characters back-stories. Take "X-Files" for example or "Serenity" <Firefly>, while both good movies (IMO) I think watching them without knowing the backstory would have been clap Bring back Dean and Teri in their original roles and work in their semi-adult children. (Or set it as the children just start to get their powers).

EDIT: Mouse, you might think about changing the topic title, as when I first saw it I thought it might be about the TV show "The Medium".

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
#226992 01/13/13 01:39 PM
Columnist
Columnist
Sex & the City is a great example of a show that shouldn't have been made into films, but they made two (I believe). If I hadn't been subjected to the show via my sister's late night tele watching, I'd have been completely lost in the movies. It kind of limits the potential audience.

.talk nerdy to me.
#226993 01/13/13 02:16 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
"The Simpson's Movie" was brilliant. Otherwise, I really can't think of a good example.

#226994 08/06/13 06:15 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
I'm very fond of the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich. The movie One for the Money was okay, but not great. However, I think the book series could be adapted into a great TV show.

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
#226995 08/06/13 01:11 PM
Kerth
Kerth
Originally posted by Annie B.:
I'm very fond of the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich. The movie One for the Money was okay, but not great. However, I think the book series could be adapted into a great TV show.
I hadn't noticed there was a movie; thanks for the heads-up. I like the series, though I can't help thinking that Rex is implausibly long lived for a hamster...

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
#226996 08/06/13 01:51 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Originally posted by Marcus Rowland:
Originally posted by Annie B.:
[b] I'm very fond of the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich. The movie One for the Money was okay, but not great. However, I think the book series could be adapted into a great TV show.
I hadn't noticed there was a movie; thanks for the heads-up. I like the series, though I can't help thinking that Rex is implausibly long lived for a hamster... [/b]
rotflol

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard