Print Thread
T
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
T
Y'all are going to love this.

Could Superman be gay?

Honchos at Superman's comic book home, DC Comics, said this weekend that one of their most identifiable (but as of yet unnamed) straight characters will soon be coming out of the closet, according to a report.

At the Kapow Comic Convention held last weekend in London, DC co-publisher Dan DiDio said the publisher would be reintroducing a previously existing character who would now be “one of our most prominent gay characters," the website BleedingCool.com reports.

Didio said DC's position had shifted on the subject since he said in an interview last year that any homosexual characters would be new introductions, and that none of their existing characters' sexual orientations would shift.

DC vice president Bob Wayne likened DC's change in tune to President Obama's shift on gay marriage, explaining that DC's policy “has evolved,” the report says.
If someone wants to write Superman slashfic, that someone has every right to do so. But I can promise you that I will not read it.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
They've already done the Superman re-vamp (no pun intended), but my money is on Bruce Wayne.

Of course, shock that would explain why the new editor of Superman says he's not planning on hooking up L&C while he's editor. jawdrop

Nope, sorry, my money is still on Bruce.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I saw this on Yahoo earlier and immediately thought, "So they're outing Bruce Wayne." cool

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Kerth
Kerth
No... It can't be... I'd put money on it being Bruce. Or maybe a certain Green Lantern- but not Supes. Although your comment scares me a bit, Virginia. /shudders/

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
Columnist
Columnist
I can't remember where I read it, but I recently read something about Batman being gay.

.talk nerdy to me.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by MrsLuthor:
I can't remember where I read it, but I recently read something about Batman being gay.
Wouldn't it be funny, if they outted Batman right before the new Batman movie was released. [Linked Image] I could so totally see someone from Warner Bros's walking up to DC Comics HQ like this... [Linked Image]

VirginiaR.
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Kerth
Kerth
I really doubt that either Superman or Batman will be chosen for this role, they're way too iconic for DC to risk the storm that would follow. I'm guessing it'll turn out to be someone well known to comic fans but not to the general public, e.g. one of the secondary Green Lanterns, Booster Gold, Blue Beetle, etc.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
Kerth
Kerth
Originally posted by Marcus Rowland:
I really doubt that either Superman or Batman will be chosen for this role, they're way too iconic for DC to risk the storm that would follow. I'm guessing it'll turn out to be someone well known to comic fans but not to the general public, e.g. one of the secondary Green Lanterns, Booster Gold, Blue Beetle, etc.
I'm with you on this one, Marcus. That would be a *major* risk for them to take- I'd say Kyle Rayner if any Green Lantern. Or Green Arrow. laugh

--Mark Twain
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Honchos at Superman's comic book home, DC Comics, said this weekend that one of their most identifiable (but as of yet unnamed) straight characters will soon be coming out of the closet, according to a report.
"Most identifiable" means probably not a minor character, so maybe it's Wonder Woman, or Robin. They also don't say "superhero" so maybe it is a villian. Lex Luthor? shock Okay, I'm going back to my writing, this is too much silly guessing.

VirginiaR.
---
Merriwether
Merriwether
The article I read implied that it was a hero that hasn't been reintroduced yet, which leaves out Supes and the Bat. "Among the contenders, then, are Martian Manhunter, Black Adam, Shazam! (aka Captain Marvel) and Hawkgirl."

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
Kerth
Kerth
Originally posted by Karen:
The article I read implied that it was a hero that hasn't been reintroduced yet, which leaves out Supes and the Bat. "Among the contenders, then, are Martian Manhunter, Black Adam, Shazam! (aka Captain Marvel) and Hawkgirl."
That would make sense, I guess, considering they already rebooted Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman. I can see Hawkgirl or Shazam! as definite possibilities.

--Mark Twain
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I'm *really* hoping it's not a female that gets outted. I'm sick of seeing any strong, independent female characters being assumed to be lesbians. Women can be strong and independent and still be straight. Just like I'm sick of seeing the sterotype of males who are gay *having* to be effeminate.

Let's hope that whichever hero comes out, they break the sterotype mold.

/rantover

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Kerth
Kerth
Martian Manhunter is a shape changer whose real form is only vaguely humanoid - it would be easy enough to give him any gender (or multiple genders) or sexual alignment.

Captain Marvel seems a bit unlikely, considering that he's actually a kid who becomes an adult when he says "Shazam" (unless they've changed canon a lot), I really doubt that DC would want to go there.

To be honest, I really don't care that much - given the number of canon superheroes in the DC universe, it would be statistically absurd for none of them to be gay - I think that the only canon example at present is Huntress, but I may be remembering it wrong.

Marcus L. Rowland
Kerth
Kerth
Originally posted by VirginiaR:
They've already done the Superman re-vamp (no pun intended), but my money is on Bruce Wayne.

Of course, shock that would explain why the new editor of Superman says he's not planning on hooking up L&C while he's editor. jawdrop

Ditto. laugh The relationship between Batman and Robin has been analyzed to death, and quite often the result was that there are some gay undertones there... It would also fit in nicely with Bruce Wayne's playboy billionaire act - before he comes out of the closet, it seems like a good way to avoid suspicion.

Although, come to think of it, Wonder Woman is another obvious choice... They never said it was a male character, did they?

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
Nan Offline
Kerth
Kerth
From what I am hearing, the guy coming out as gay is the first Green Lantern from the '40s, Alan Scott. He will be re-introduced as a young man, in Earth Two #1 as the head of GBC Productions.

I don't know about him being a canon character. Maybe he was in the 40s, but I was born in 1948, so I never heard of him until today.

Nan

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
C
Top Banana
Top Banana
C
Originally posted by Karen:
Oh poor Hawkman if it's Hawkgirl. If they hold true to the original concept of Hawkman and Hawkgirl I seriously doubt it's her as they've been tied together via reincarnation (it's canon to their story.) I could see the possibility of it being on the of Lanterns personally.

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)
Kerth
Kerth
Originally posted by Lara Joelle Kent:
Originally posted by VirginiaR:
[b] They've already done the Superman re-vamp (no pun intended), but my money is on Bruce Wayne.

Ditto. laugh The relationship between Batman and Robin has been analyzed to death, and quite often the result was that there are some gay undertones there... It would also fit in nicely with Bruce Wayne's playboy billionaire act - before he comes out of the closet, it seems like a good way to avoid suspicion.

Although, come to think of it, Wonder Woman is another obvious choice... They never said it was a male character, did they? [/b]
You can analyze this to death, but the reality of pretty much all of the classic kid sidekicks (Robin especially) is that they were put in to the stories to appeal to a younger audience than the main adult characters, with the sole goal of making more money.

Explaining this as gay subtext is clutching at straws, adding a rationale to a type of character that really makes no sense. Kid sidekicks are fundamentally silly, and their existence can only be explained by the economics of comic book marketing.

Marcus L. Rowland
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
The originial Green Lantern has been officially announced as the newly outed gay character.

From the article:

Alan Scott, the first man to wield the green power ring in 1940, is welcomed home with a kiss from his boyfriend in the upcoming issue of Earth 2. DC featured a multi-page preview of the story on its online blog.
And here's the article itself:

DC reveals \'Green Lantern\' is gay

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Kerth
Kerth
Now, that sounds like a good solution. (And, yes, I did know Alan Scott - or at least that he was a Green Lantern and with the JSA. Btw, I was born in 1980. *winks at Nan* )

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard