Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#226203 05/18/12 01:06 PM
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
AKA - Why I'm Mad at NBC

This has been, in my opinion, a relatively great tv year. But sadly (and some unexpectedly), a lot of shows will be gone before next season never to be seen again. I read a bunch of lists and was so sad/mad over some of it that I just had to rant a bit.

TV Shows That Just Didn\'t Make It

Among the ones I am sad to see go:

Chuck ( whinging )
Desperate Housewives ( mecry )
Awake ( mad )
Missing
Rob
Ringer ( shock splat )
And Terra Nova (Ok, so I never really watched it much due to scheduling conflicts, but I know somebody who was working on it)

What about you fine Folcs? As mad as I am? Or simply shocked?

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
#226204 05/18/12 02:41 PM
Kerth
Kerth
Aw, man! They cancelled GCB? That was such a fun show. frown

If we're talking about shows we've never got over being cancelled, I have to admit to still harboring bitter feelings over the loss of Jeremy Piven's "Cupid". It's been about 15 years now, but I loved that show. <sigh> I still have all the episodes on tape. Sadly, I no longer have a VCR, but I can't give up that tape.

I'm also still bent that "Terriers" was cancelled. That's been just over a year, but at least I have that one downloaded onto a hard drive.

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Clark: Well, just to put your little mind at ease, Lois, you're right.
Ides of Metropolis
#226205 05/18/12 03:40 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I'm on the fence about Terra Nova. I liked the concept, but the execution was poor. They tried way too hard to be "Lost" with the mysteries and whatnot. Plus, I've seen more convincing dinos in video games.

Last I heard (granted from two or three months ago) was that they were shopping it around to other networks, hoping for a bite.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

#226206 05/18/12 08:45 PM
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Hmm. Old shows that were cancelled too soon... One that pops into my mind was "Reunion" - anybody remember that one? It was only like ten episodes or so and it was about six people(friends) from their high school reunion and one of them is dead. But, alas, as it goes, we find out who was killed but NEVER LEARN WHO DID IT. grumble Shocker ending, but I still don't believe it.

Don't know if anybody will bite on that one, DC. Like I said, I never watched it, but I still feel bad that it's gone. I heard ABC's doing the same thing with "Cougar Town," which is supposedly heading over to TBS this next season (another disappointment, because I really love that show, but at least it's not cancelled).

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
#226207 05/19/12 01:50 AM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Ringer was one of those shows I watched every week and was surprised at the end of the episode that I'd thoroughly enjoyed it. I always tuned in never expecting to. And I still have no clue why I did. laugh

But I would have liked to have seen a S2, so I'm a little sad, but not devastated that we won't be seeing the loose ends tied up.

Wasn't surprised at Terra Nova. As Nancy says it was a great idea, but extraordinarly poorly done.

My major disappointment was no more Alcatraz. Despite it being terribly formulaic I was really enjoying this one - mostly because of the great leading performances. We still have a handful of episodes to go here in the UK.

Other than that, to my delight all of my major favourites survived. So I'll be curling up on the sofa for more Supernatural, Vampire Diaries (although was very disappointed with S3), Criminal Minds, Dexter, The Walking Dead and most especially FRINGE dance

I'm still waiting to hear about Nikita - still on the bubble I think - but that seems a far away decision as we STILL haven't had a sniff of S2! mad

Oh yeah - historically? Firefly!! mad mad mad

I do feel sad when shows get prematurely cancelled though. Especially when I think back to all the huge hits and great shows that would never have made it if the same rules were applied back then. It's such a shame that new shows these days aren't allowed to find their feet and grow into their audience but are expected to be hits right off the mark and from the first episode. frown

Oh, just went back in to TV.com's running update on what survived and what didn't and Nikita has been renewed for a third season. Whoo hoo!

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#226208 05/19/12 02:21 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
I was disillusioned at a young age when MTV cancelled Dead at 21 when it ended at a cliffhanger. I still want to know if they survived!

This season, I'm sad about Alcatraz, but I knew the ratings weren't good. I'm a bit more upset about Eureka. They were initially told 2 more seasons, then once they finished filming the current season, Syfy said "No, never mind, this is the last one!" At least they got to film one last episode to wrap it all up.

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
#226209 05/19/12 04:42 AM
S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
I liked Terra Nova. It was a show I could watch with my kids. It had lots of potential and I was disappointed that it was cancelled.

I was also disappointed that Eureka will be finishing up, though as Karen pointed out, at least they can wrap up loose ends. You'd think SyFy channel would want to hold on to this show since it's one of their better ones.

The ultimate cancellation that really killed me, years ago in the 90s, was Earth 2. The writers knew the show was going to be cancelled so the finale episode had a real cliffhanger in it that was never ressolved.

Joan

#226210 05/19/12 09:17 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Yeah, Mouse. I highly doubt anyone is going to get on board with Terra Nova. I mean, it took the enire first half of the season before it got really interesting.

If it does come back, I'll give it another chance. And if it doesn't, no big loss. Dexter's been renewed for 2 more seasons, and that's all that *really* matters. smile

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

#226211 05/19/12 10:48 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
If it does come back, I'll give it another chance. And if it doesn't, no big loss
Yes, if it got another season I'd probably watch. To begin with anyway. I felt the two hour finale finally hit some notes that should have been there much earlier in the season - perhaps if they had been it wouldn't have been cancelled. And the ending left open some questions which I wouldn't mind seeing the answers to.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#226212 05/19/12 01:41 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I didn't watch any of the shows from this season, being that I gave up cable a couple of years ago... But I always wished "Joan of Arcadia" would have been given a second season.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
#226213 05/19/12 04:02 PM
S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
That was a great show. It did have a few seasons but seemed to end rather abruptly.

Joan

Originally posted by VirginiaR:
I didn't watch any of the shows from this season, being that I gave up cable a couple of years ago... But I always wished "Joan of Arcadia" would have been given a second season.

#226214 05/19/12 04:14 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by VirginiaR:
Originally posted by scifiJoan:
That was a great show. It did have a few seasons but seemed to end rather abruptly.

Joan
Yeah, I realized that after I wrote that. It felt like only one season though; just as it was getting really out there and had me sucked in, it was replaced by that... ugh... Jennifer Love Hewit show. :rolleyes: Here let me replace your gourmet meal with box mac and cheese. You won't mind, because... well... we know all our viewers are idiots and don't know better. (sorry, just imagining what the TV networks were saying behind closed doors.)

VirginiaR.
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
#226215 05/20/12 02:03 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Yeah, I was so annoyed by Joan of Arcadia's cancellation (even though I didn't like where they were going with the story line) that I refused to even give Ghost Whisperer a glance. Or anything else on CBS that night.

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
#226216 05/20/12 06:12 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by Karen:
Yeah, I was so annoyed by Joan of Arcadia's cancellation (even though I didn't like where they were going with the story line) that I refused to even give Ghost Whisperer a glance. Or anything else on CBS that night.
clap Me, too! Of course, I wouldn't have watched anything JLH was on anyway because she's fingernails down a chalkboard for me. I can't believe that show lasted for YEARS! [Linked Image]

My husband and I also liked Amber Tamblyn's next show "The Unusuals" which was also canceled way too soon.

VirginiaR.
---
#226217 05/21/12 01:55 PM
Kerth
Kerth

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
#226218 05/22/12 07:01 PM
Features Writer
Features Writer
I'm with Labrat on being very ecstatic that Fringe is getting thirteen episodes to finish their story and give us the last answers. It's an amazingly complex show--which is so rare it seems--and it really makes me think, something I appreciate. smile

As a new Firefly fan, I am just realizing how disappointed I am that they were cancelled so early, without even getting to finish their first season.

And though it had a few instances of weak characterization, I thought Flash Forward had a lot of potential and was introducing really good plotlines when it got cancelled.

And of course, I'm still a bit upset that Lois & Clark only got 4 seasons! laugh

#226219 05/22/12 07:19 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
And of course, I'm still a bit upset that Lois & Clark only got 4 seasons!
You and me both, AntiK! laugh

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

#226220 05/22/12 07:29 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by AntiKryptonite:
As a new Firefly fan, I am just realizing how disappointed I am that they were cancelled so early, without even getting to finish their first season.

And though it had a few instances of weak characterization, I thought Flash Forward had a lot of potential and was introducing really good plotlines when it got cancelled.

And of course, I'm still a bit upset that Lois & Clark only got 4 seasons! laugh
Okay, agreeing with you on all these fronts. hyper If I wasn't neck deep in my current epic, I'd probably give it a shot.

VirginiaR.
---
#226221 05/23/12 02:35 AM
S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
Originally posted by AntiKryptonite:

Those shows did have a lot of potential. Firefly never did get much of a fair chance with episodes shown out of order and some episodes omitted.

Joan

#226222 05/23/12 03:21 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Virginia,

"Anti-K, can you imagine a 'Flash Forward' LnC crossover fic, in which the characters from LnC S1 flash forward to S3 or S4. Okay... I'm moving that thought to the challenge boards! If I wasn't neck deep in my current epic, I'd probably give it a shot."

It's not precisely your premise, but if you're intrigued by that idea, you'd probably enjoy Foreshadowing .

Happy

This *is* my happily ever after.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard