Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
Soooooo, the assignment is to make a balloon powered car, and given that I'm a rediculous over-achiever, I tried to make something cool. Unfortunately, I thought my car was light enough to be powered by a balloon (it's made of bristol board), but it doesn't move at all.

Any suggestions on how to make something similarly awesome while still being able to move?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

.talk nerdy to me.
Features Writer
Features Writer
I guess the question here is: how big is the balloon? And what is the weight (mass) of the car?

BTW, nice model. wink

malu

Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
Originally posted by malu:
I guess the question here is: how big is the balloon? And what is the weight (mass) of the car?

BTW, nice model. wink

malu
Haha thanks :p I used a template I found online, just modified to be bigger/movable etc. It's just a regular-sized balloon. The car is pretty hefty, I guess... maybe half a pound.

I just re-read the assignment instruction though and it says: "The car must move on its own wheels, propelled by a single balloon." So, I'm thinking that TECHNICALLY, I could use the balloon like an elastic and twist it so it propels the car forward rather than inflating the balloon, but how would I go about making the wheels go?

.talk nerdy to me.
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Well, I guess that is the creative solution :p clap

You'll need to build in some gears to translate the spin from the twisted balloon into the 90° offset axle of the wheel.

Other than that, half a pound's definitely too much for the poor balloon since you'll need to get past the inertia of the car first. *maybe* once it's rolling that the balloon can give it a little kick. If you check google, all the cars have a much higher balloon-to-car ratio huh

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
Originally posted by Darth Michael:
You'll need to build in some gears to translate the spin from the twisted balloon into the 90° offset axle of the wheel.
Can you tell me this in more detail? I *think* I understand, but I'm very much a visual learner, so I find it hard to follow instructions without pictures. lol

.talk nerdy to me.
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Or, if you want a simpler solution (albeit cheating even more), you could fasten the balloon to a Y-shaped branch and use it as a slingshot to propel the car.

Or, to get ridiculous, you could tie one end of the balloon to the front of the car and then use it almost as a leash to pull the car along.

Somehow, I don't think either solution would get you a good grade, though. goofy

Joy,
Lynn

p.s., I love your batmobile, complete with driver. smile

Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
Originally posted by Lynn S. M.:
Or, if you want a simpler solution (albeit cheating even more), you could fasten the balloon to a Y-shaped branch and use it as a slingshot to propel the car.

Or, to get ridiculous, you could tie one end of the balloon to the front of the car and then use it almost as a leash to pull the car along.

Somehow, I don't think either solution would get you a good grade, though. goofy

Joy,
Lynn

p.s., I love your batmobile, complete with driver. smile
Haha, at this point, I'm ready to just give it one swift kick across the gym floor.

.talk nerdy to me.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by MrsLuthor:
Haha, at this point, I'm ready to just give it one swift kick across the gym floor.
I've had projects like that. rotflol

PS: Love the Batmobile! Maybe you could sell it on Ebay after the "test" and recoup your losses. wink

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
Originally posted by VirginiaR:
[b] Haha, at this point, I'm ready to just give it one swift kick across the gym floor.
I've had projects like that. rotflol
[/b]
That you wanted to kick? lol

PS: Love the Batmobile! Maybe you could sell it on Ebay after the "test" and recoup your losses. wink
Haha thanks! Yea, I thought about selling it, but my sister's fiance's son really likes it. I'm thinking of putting it on top of his bday present next month.

.talk nerdy to me.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
That you wanted to kick? lol
Yep! Let's see there was that popcycle bridge in high school physics (only one other person's was weaker than mine)... and well, there was that Titanic display I had to put up when the movie came out on video (Yep, I'm a former video store employee <<cringe>>). My manager said that the security video of me beating up the stand was almost sent to America's Funniest Home videos... This is after I told her it "broke". blush

Spacial relations isn't for everyone.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
[b] That you wanted to kick? lol
Yep! Let's see there was that popcycle bridge in high school physics (only one other person's was weaker than mine)... and well, there was that Titanic display I had to put up when the movie came out on video (Yep, I'm a former video store employee <<cringe>>). My manager said that the security video of me beating up the stand was almost sent to America's Funniest Home videos... This is after I told her it "broke". blush

Spacial relations isn't for everyone. [/b]
lol "broke" ... it was def. faulty manufacturing.

.talk nerdy to me.

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard