Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#225733 01/12/12 08:23 AM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Okay, most of y'all know I'm a HUGE Star Wars fan (hence the avatar) and so I was shocked to find out there was something related to Star Wars that I had not seen. I decided I'd watch it.

BIG MISTAKE. HUGE. Actually I couldn't even finish it. And that's saying a lot. I mean, I sat through Episodes I, II, & III (multiple times!). I think I turned it off after Chewy's dad (who looks more like a gorilla that mated with a pug) started getting turned on by the sparkly lady singing to him in his virtual reality headset.

What was George Lucas THINKING?! Actually I wonder that a lot these days. Have y'all seen this? And the actors, what were they THINKING? I think that may have been George on Acid or something.

Someone tell me you have seen TSWHS and agree with me. Actually, I'm 100% sure that if you have seen it, you will agree with me.

I'm kind of OCD and always feel the need to complete things I start (bad books, bad movies, etc.) so maybe someday I will finish this. Ugh. I think I just puked in my mouth a little.

For your viewing displeasure.

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always
depend on the support of Paul.

-George Bernard Shaw
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Yup, there's a darn good reason Lucas thereafter refused to let it be shown and tried to destroy all copies....

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I haven't seen that one. But have you seen Luke, Chewy, C-390 and R2D2 on the Muppet Show? (Singing and dancing was involved for ALL of them.) I watched it again recently because my daughter loves the Muppets and my son Star Wars. But it was certainly a cringefest that went on TOO Long . I pitied Mark Hamill that day.)

PS: Maybe I should have written, "NNOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" I haven't seen that one. laugh

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
But have you seen Luke, Chewy, C-390 and R2D2 on the Muppet Show?
I just watched it Virginia. It is definitely cringeworthy. Though compared to the Holiday Special, it should win an Oscar! One of the comments on the muppet youtube video summed it up nicely...

"@swingersfan True, although we laugh at this because bits of it are actually kind of funny.
We laugh at Star Wars X-mas because we want to cry."

Well put! laugh

-George Bernard Shaw
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
I watched about five minutes of the special. That was all I could stomach.

I agree with you. "Cringe-worthy" is the perfect way to describe it. And not even in a humorous fashion -- the Farce was not with them.

Joy,
Lynn

Kerth
Kerth
Saw a few minutes and decided to skip the rest.

Mind you, I'm a Star Wars purist - I still have the original "Han Shot First" version on laserdisc.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by Marcus Rowland:
Mind you, I'm a Star Wars purist - I still have the original "Han Shot First" version on laserdisc. [/QB]
It maybe already out, but like you, I bought the original SW IV-VI on video before the digitalized versions were brought back to theatres. Ever so happy to be able to share the real Star Wars with my kids. (Really hate that extra Jabba scene in A New Hope and that he switched in the younger more evil Anakin at the end of Jedi.)

If kids nowaday can enjoy Star Wars without the extras, then it doesn't need to be "improved", George. <<cough, cough>>

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Kerth
Kerth
Amen!

I was raised on the original vhs edition star wars & leonard maltin interviews. My mom actually used to ban us from it & only let us watch 1x a year because we are ocd. Im a purist except with novels.

That being said, i did enjoy spaceballs.

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Yep, Star Wars purist here too. I only watch my original VHS /ponders how to put those on DVD...

I HATE, REALLY HATE what GL did to RotJ in the digitalized version. The Max Rebo Band is totally gone from Jabba's Palace and I want my Ewok celebration at the end D*mmit! Yub Yub.

-George Bernard Shaw
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You can buy a thing that puts them on DVD here:
VHS To DVD

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hope that helps.

Kerth
Kerth
Originally posted by stephnachia:
Yep, Star Wars purist here too. I only watch my original VHS /ponders how to put those on DVD...

I HATE, REALLY HATE what GL did to RotJ in the digitalized version. The Max Rebo Band is totally gone from Jabba's Palace and I want my Ewok celebration at the end D*mmit! Yub Yub.
laugh I love you. I was just complaining about that over winter break when we did our traditional marathon.

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
That being said, i did enjoy spaceballs.
Spaceballs is the BEST! That's my favorite Mel Brooks film. laugh

I haven't seen the Star Wars specials. And quite frankly, I'm not that interested after hearing how bad they are. :p

But it does kind of remind me of the Xena/Herc cartoon movie, which I do own because I am a completionist. It was SOOOOOO bad - to the tune of turning one of the main characters into a giant eagle for 90% of the film, and having the villains sing "we are titans/we are bad."

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Kerth
Kerth
I forgot to mention that a few years ago there was a UK DVD release of the first three in their current versions which had the old laserdisc versions (letterboxed for a standard ratio screen) as extras on the disks. Not ideal on a modern widescreen TV, but better than nothing.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Thanks for the link Superfan! I did go and check it out but the reviews are so bad, I probably won't get that particular one. I'm sure there are others out there. I'll just have to do some searching.

-George Bernard Shaw
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally posted by stephnachia:
Thanks for the link Superfan! I did go and check it out but the reviews are so bad, I probably won't get that particular one. I'm sure there are others out there. I'll just have to do some searching.
There are, I've seen them in stores. That was just the first one I found online, thought I'd show an example.....

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Sadly, I only have the digital versions of Star Wars. I saw the original without the add-ons during the nineties, but for the life of me can't remember anything but the explosion of the Death Star (and the cuteness of R2D2).

I had read somewhere about the Christmas special, but couldn't find it anywhere. Just a soundtrack on youtube ("Sleigh ride" with C3PO and R2D2 is... unique). Even though I'm forewarned about it's weirdness I'll no longer be in ignorance. :p Thanks, steph.

Granny Weatherwax: 'You've got to think headology, see? Not muck about with all this beauty and wealth business. That's not important.'

Wyrd Sisters, Terry Pratchett
R
RJS Offline
Blogger
Blogger
R
What was George Lucas THINKING?!
Lucas had nothing to do with it. It was Fox trying to cash in on the little movie that wasn't supposed to be that successful. It's only saving grace is it introduces the character of Boba Fett in a cartoon sequence, otherwise most fans would have written it off long ago. The actors were under contract to Fox and had to do it. Mark Hamill was just out of the hospital after his car accident and you can tell. He still looks pretty bad.

Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
It's only saving grace is it introduces the character of Boba Fett in a cartoon sequence
I didn't even get that far. It hurt too much. Maybe someday I will finish it.

Lucas had nothing to do with it. It was Fox trying to cash in on the little movie that wasn't supposed to be that successful.
So who actually wrote it? I get the whole 'being pressured by Fox' thing but the story is really really really bad. Surely, GL could have come up with something better than THAT. Or maybe he was just trying to stick it to Fox for making him do something... razz (which I could totally see him doing, he's kind of always done his own thing). Either way, unless the story came from one of the Fox producers or something of that sort I still have to agree with my statement... What was GL THINKING?!

-George Bernard Shaw

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard