Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 13 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13
Columnist
Columnist
I've been terrible about keeping track of/posting the books I've read, but this one I have to mention because it's written by my ninth grade English teacher!

Blind Luck - by Scott Carter

I just found out he wrote it, and now I'm waiting for it to come in the mail from the book store laugh

.talk nerdy to me.
LabRat Offline OP
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
One Door Away From Heaven
Sole Survivor
Ticktock

More Koontz. Another batch I enjoyed - although often despite the plotting rather than because of it.

Mr. Murder - Dan Wells
I Don't Want To Kill You - Dan Wells

I really enjoyed these two sequels to the 'teen Dexter' book I read last year. Not sure if the author intends this just to be a trilogy, but it seems to me there's plenty of scope still for more and I'd definitely be eager to read them.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
#33 - Coconut Unlimited - Nikesh Shukla

I'm not much of a hip hop person but I had fun reading the story of three indian teenage boys who wanted to be black rappers. It was a male fest, but still somewhat endearing because of their general innocence.

Granny Weatherwax: 'You've got to think headology, see? Not muck about with all this beauty and wealth business. That's not important.'

Wyrd Sisters, Terry Pratchett
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
#34 - Going Postal - Terry Pratchett

Granny Weatherwax: 'You've got to think headology, see? Not muck about with all this beauty and wealth business. That's not important.'

LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Virgin Widow - Anne O'Brien

I really enjoyed this historial novel/ romance from the perspective of Anne Neville, who would become wife and queen to Richard III. O'Brien's writing style is easy to take and I liked the way she concentrated on the characters with the mimumum of detail on their surroundings. She made an excellent job of filling in the blanks from the sparse detail that history has recorded, putting an intriguing spin on them.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.

The Musketeers
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
#35 - Is Just a Movie - Earl Lovelace

This was one of the best books I read until now. Set in Trinidad and Tobago, the story (and smaller stories within) is mostly about affirmation and finding a sense of belonging. It's very compelling and at the same time fun and light to read, even in the darker passages.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
#8 - The Omen Machine by Terry Goodkind

The latest in the Sword of Truth series, this picks up immediately after the last book, Confessor(?). Richard, now the Lord Rahl, finds a machine hidden deep within the People's Palace, which spews out prophecies. Those prophecies are unwittingly repeated by people with a touch of the gift (magic), which makes them really, really bad. Richard must find a way to save the people he loves - particularly Kahlan, his wife.

The book was a lot of fun, even if Terry Goodkind isn't the most poetic of writers. He still paints a bold and vivid picture of Richard's world. The big problem came from the end of the book. It just sort of...ends. One of the two major baddies isn't dealt with AT ALL. And Richard and Kahlan are left in a precarious, if somewhat hopeful, situation.

I can only assume that the author will be giving us another book. I only hope that he gives it to us soon.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Top Banana
Top Banana
14. The Thirty Nine Steps - John Buchan.

15. Dracula - Bram Stoker.

16. The Hunger Games - Suzanne Collins.

17. Catching Fire - Suzanne Collins.

18. Mockingjay - Suzanne Collins.

When Life Gives You Green Velvet Curtains, Make a Green Velvet Dress.
S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
#32 The Worthing Saga by Orson Scott Card

I've enjoyed other books by this author but I didn't like this one as well. The concept was interesting but the writer seemed to do more telling than showing.

Joan

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
# 36 - Shutter Island - Dennis Lehane

It was quite enjoyable, but I felt that it was also somewhat predictable. Still, a good read.

# 37 - (The Complete) Persepolis - Marjane Satrapi

Wonderful comic about the coming of age of the author. Combines her growth with her perspective on the revolution and war in Iran - Satrapi's native land.

# 38 - Of Mice and Men - John Steinbeck

My reading of classics continues. I really liked this book, especially the dilemma that was presented and the shocking but unescapable resolution.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
6. Half Magic by Edward Eager - Four children find a charm that grants their wishes, but only by a half.

My children and I really enjoyed this. Fun read. Very: Be careful what you wish for! clap

(Yeah, I know, 6. :rolleyes: Sorry, I've been busy filling Labrat's inbox this year. Writing instead of reading. Most of what I've read has come from the Archives.)

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
The Echo Man - Richard Montanari

Discovering the delights of Netflix and a desire to get through the two shelves of 'real' books that have been sitting there for two years, despite being by my top ten authors, has slowed my reading down lately. I have been SO spoiled by my Kindle.

So, despite thoroughly enjoying this thriller, it seemed to take me an absolute age to get through. I'm just not used to dealing with small fonts that you can't change to suit and the weight of a real book, these days. :p

But I don't expect to be let down by any of these guys and on this one I wasn't. Did just what it said on the tin. wink

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
6. Half Magic by Edward Eager - Four children find a charm that grants their wishes, but only by a half.

My children and I really enjoyed this. Fun read. Very: Be careful what you wish for!
OMG, one of my favorite childhood books! Check out the rest of Eager's oeuvre:

Half Magic
Magic By The Lake
Knight's Castle
The Time Garden

(he wrote some others too but these are the ones I liked the best.)

I agree with the comment about "it teaches you to be careful what to wish for." Of course, if you've read enough fairy tales, you pick up on that too. wink

S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
My daughter loved his books too.

Joan

Originally posted by IolantheAlias:

My children and I really enjoyed this. Fun read. Very: Be careful what you wish for!
OMG, one of my favorite childhood books! Check out the rest of Eager's oeuvre:

Half Magic
Magic By The Lake
Knight's Castle
The Time Garden

(he wrote some others too but these are the ones I liked the best.)

I agree with the comment about "it teaches you to be careful what to wish for." Of course, if you've read enough fairy tales, you pick up on that too. wink

S
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
S
Hey Labby, Do we need to list movies now? LOL I'm weird, my taste in movies is way different than my taste in books. I'm more of a chick flick, feel good movie person. I may be able to read about the shooting and fighting and blowing up but I don't want to watch it.
Sue

S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
#33 The Curse of the Wendigo by Rick Yancey

My son loves these books so he got me to read them. Very creepy and well written.

Joan

LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Trail Of Blood - Lisa Black

I got this one on the basis of having enjoyed a couple of others by this author. But, somehow, I just couldn't get properly into this one. I couldn't seem to connect with the characters. I was very interested in the portions set in 1935 and the problems a police force had investigating a serial killer without recourse to modern forensics and the hindrances of social attitudes of the times. Unfortunately, these amounted to only a handful of scenes so, ultimately, this one was a bit of a disappointment.

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
#34 Best Friends Forever by Jennifer Weiner

I needed something lighter after reading horror and this certianly fit the bill. Now on to the third book in the horror series.

Joan

LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Moonlight Mile - Dennis Lehane

I've always had a great deal of affection for Lehane's Kenzie and Gennaro characters so I was looking forward to this new addition to the series.

I enjoyed it but it felt a little flat - undoubtedly because our heroes were now parents and reluctant detectives with much of the elements which had made them so interesting removed. This was mostly a study in leaving the excitements of unburdened youth behind and facing up to the staid burdens of a mortgage and adulthood. So it was a little like having to say goodbye to some old friends and tinged with that sadness.

So that aspect was bound to be slightly disappointing and I hope if there's another book in the series Kenzie changes his mind pronto about giving up on his previous career choices!

Sacrifice - S. J. Bolton
Awakening - S. J. Bolton

Two of the best thrillers I've read this year - brilliant. Full of twists and turns, great characters and two terrific heroines. With Awakening, I was also fascinated by the theory of the divinity of snakes, which I'd never heard before. These have definitely rocketed Bolton to the ranks of my favorite authors list and someone whose books I'll be snapping up soon as I can get my hands on them.

LabRat :-)

The Musketeers
S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
#35 The Isle of Blood by Rick Yancey

Well written horror story but definitely creepy. eek This is the third book of the series and, in addition to the latest monster quest,the author continues to develop the relationship between the monstrumologist doctor and his apprentice, young Will Henry.

Joan

Page 10 of 13 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard