Print Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13
LabRat Offline OP
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Yay! A fresh new year of wonderful reading and sharing lies ahead, no doubt!

Usual rules, as per Jojo's original challenge of 2007, apply if you want to take up the challenge part of this thread:

I just joined a nice live journal community that is challenging people to read at least 50 books this year. I thought this might be a nice challenge to share with all of you. I know I spend a lot of time reading fanfiction but it has been a really long time since I made room for normal books in my life. I used to read them all the time when I was in highschool but once I started college I let that drop out of my life. Sadly I read maybe 3-4 books a year now. This is pretty pathetic. So this year I am challenging myself to try to accomplish reading the 50 books.
Of course, there's no need to count if you don't want to. This is also just a thread for sharing what you're reading - be it one book or one hundred! So don't feel obliged or intimidated by the challenge part - just ignore it if you want to! laugh

I know that I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone's reading and hopefully getting some good recommendations! So even if it's just one book in the whole year, do share with us - it might just be that book we've been dying to read, but never knew it! wink

Happy reading!

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
I'm looking forward to the new year of reading and discovering new books.

Columnist
Columnist
I got a whole stack of books for Christmas! I'm so psyched to do this challenge!

.talk nerdy to me.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by MrsLuthor:
I got a whole stack of books for Christmas! I'm so psyched to do this challenge!
Me too!!!

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
And me. <g> But I'm not starting with any of those, but with:

The Postman - Dan Brin

I didn't think the movie with Kevin Costner was as bad as the critics made out, but I had no idea it was based (very loosely as it turns out) on a novel until I found this among my Kindle books.

Turned out to be an extremely entertaining, thoughtful, thought-provoking and intriguing story. I enjoyed that it was short on the horrors of the post-apocolyptic world and long on the sense of hope and courage and striving towards something better that prevailed.

And it made me cry at the end as that sense of hope continued. You can't ask for more from an author really than that.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.

The Musketeers
S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
That sounds more promising than I would've expected, given the movie reviews. I'll have to check that one out.

Originally posted by LabRat:
And me. <g> But I'm not starting with any of those, but with:

[b]The Postman - Dan Brin

I didn't think the movie with Kevin Costner was as bad as the critics made out, but I had no idea it was based (very loosely as it turns out) on a novel until I found this among my Kindle books.

Turned out to be an extremely entertaining, thoughtful, thought-provoking and intriguing story. I enjoyed that it was short on the horrors of the post-apocolyptic world and long on the sense of hope and courage and striving towards something better that prevailed.

And it made me cry at the end as that sense of hope continued. You can't ask for more from an author really than that.

LabRat smile [/b]

S
Columnist
Columnist
S
I agree--the Postman movie was OK, but still a typical Costner film. The book is much more involved and I enjoyed it much more.

Shallowford
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
You can't judge a book by its movie.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Total agreement here. One of the better books I've read was Steven Gould's "Jumper", and the movie was totally different (and in my opinion, inferior to the book.)

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by dcarson:
The only movie I've ever seen that was better than the book is "Witches of Eastwick". The movie is one of my all-time favorite. The book... well, it's great for curing insomnia... and not much magic.

PS: What am I reading right now? (other than catching up on my reading on the L&C Boards) I'm making my way through the Twilight series AGAIN :rolleyes: (this must be at least my fourth or fifth time). Currently reading, New Moon, which is the best out of all of them (I'm definitely on Team Jacob!) The way Stephanie Meyers describes Bella's heartache is spot on accurate. thumbsup

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Postman at least isn't one of the ones where the movie totally mangles the basic meaning of the book.

Had 22 books under my tree, I really need to work on my to read pile. Mainly used one, people hit used bookstores and found some of my wish list of older ones.

S
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
S
I didn't post my books last year. So I figured I had better start off right this year.

1. Tahoe Heat - Todd Borg
This is a series I found that is not even in my library. this is the 8th book of the series. I like the series and pay for the Kindle book to read it.

2. Smokin' Seventeen - Janet Evanovich
This series is not great anymore. I got the Kindle book downloaded free from the Library. I would never pay to read this.
Sue

LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
There are few things sadder in reading than a well-loved series that begins to weaken over time and many books.

I found that with Alex Kava's books last year. I'd think twice about buying any others.

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
I finally started reading a series that my son loves. #1 Leviathan and #2 Behemoth , both by Scott Westerfeld. It's a alternative version of WW1, in which both sides have more futuristic technologies. So far, I'm enjoying them. Now I have to wait for him to finish book 3, which he got for Christmas.

Kerth
Kerth
Swear I'm going to do this challenge this year, and do it right (wow, my "goals" list for 2012 is getting rather long...)

Anyways, since over the winter break my family had our traditional Star Wars marathon (six movies in 48 hours baby! smile1 ), I'm probably gonna kick off this year by rereading/reading my favorite Star Wars novels, as a soft way into the year...

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by Mouserocks:
I'm probably gonna kick off this year by rereading/reading my favorite Star Wars novels, as a soft way into the year...
Which would be?

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Madame Tussaud – Michelle Moran

Moran’s novels of Egypt and Rome were one of the gems found on the last challenge thread last year, so I was really looking forward to this one. And I certainly wasn’t disappointed. Within the first couple of pages I was deep in 18th century France. I’ve only read a couple of novels about the French Revolution previously, but none have really touched on the details and I was in tears by the end, especially reading the author’s notes. Superb.

Moran has become one of my favourite historical authors and I’m delighted that she already has another book coming out: The Second Empress, set in the Napoleonic era. As this is another period and characters I know nothing of, I’m looking forward to that when it’s released.

Pilate’s Wife: A Novel of Rome – Antoinette May.

A sympathetic and to my mind very plausible relating of Claudia, told from her perspective. Very entertaining.

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
S
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
S
3. Arcadia Falls - Carol Goodman
I really enjoyed this book. The setting was not that far from where I grew up. Thank you Labby for recommending it.

M
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
M
1) Earth Abides by George R Stewart. I reread this one occasionally. America's recovery following an illness that wipes out most of the population as seen through the eyes of the main character.

2) Exceptions To Reality by Alan Dean Foster. Short stories including one inspired by Peter Pan by JM Barrie and one inspired by The Cold Equations by Tom Goodwin. Well written.

3) The Complete Adventures of Peter Pan by JM Barrie and Golgotha Press. I always thought that I had read this one. Turns out I hadn't. Much darker than the Disney versions.

4) The Cold Equations by Tom Godwin. The title story and several others. Well written. The Cold Equations is a story that I have remembered since I first read it and I reread it once in a while.

S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
That sounds intriguing. I'll have to check it out.

Originally posted by Meadowrose:
1) Earth Abides by George R Stewart. I reread this one occasionally. America's recovery following an illness that wipes out most of the population as seen through the eyes of the main character.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard