Print Thread
#225300 12/16/11 02:44 PM
LabRat Offline OP
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
For years now I've had various ad blocking programs working away in the background and have never had a problem with popups or ads.

Just recently though, I've noticed that several of my favourite websites have started showing a strip of annoying ads for Ebay auctions down the left hand side of the page, with a second Ebay strip ad duplicating these ads at the bottom of the page.

I'm finding that quite intrusive and would love to block them, but I can't find anything that will do the job.

Anyone? Thanks!

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#225301 12/16/11 03:14 PM
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
What browser(s) and what ad blocking program(s) do you currently use?

I haven't seen the ads of which you speak. I don't know whether that is because I am not visiting sites that have them or because my ad blockers are effective, but FWIW, I use Chrome with the Adblock and Adblock Plus for Google Chrome extensions.

Joy,
Lynn

#225302 12/16/11 10:38 PM
Kerth
Kerth
I use a program called Privoxy which is a proxy web server that blocks a lot of advertising sites including most of the common popups, and various types of site behavior that are associated with viruses etc.

http://www.privoxy.org/

The big advantage of it is that it's a small program that works with any browser - you don't need different add-ons for different browsers, you just configure the browsers to use it as their proxy web server.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
#225303 12/16/11 10:52 PM
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Labby, if you're using Firefox with AdBlockPlus, the program got a recent automatic update to version 2.0, where they have enabled "non-intrusive" advertisements.

You have to manually disable this "feature" in the Options of AdBlockPlus:
Click on the ADP-Icon and select the "Filter Preferences".
Uncheck "allow non-intrusive advertisement".

Hope this helps smile
Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
#225304 12/17/11 12:09 AM
S
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
S
Michael, It might not help Labby but I sure do Thank You!
Sue

#225305 12/17/11 12:53 AM
LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Thanks, everyone! Yes, I'm using Firefox - I did addon Adblock-Plus last night, but it had no effect. But I'll try it again and change those options you mention, Michael, see if that works. And I'll try that other program, too, Marcus.

ETA - Yay - Michael, that did the trick. sloppy I can now wander through TV Tropes again without being distracted by ads for giant cow skulls. (Seriously, that was one of them last night.)

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#225306 12/17/11 04:18 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Glad to help smile1
Michael, who's glad about the random stuff one picks up while reading a computer news site...

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
#225307 12/18/11 01:11 AM
S
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
S
I unchecked the box Michael said. And everything has been fine since the update. Now today for the first time ever I have a huge ad at the top of Yahoo. Yahoo is my home page and this is driving me crazy. And suggestions?
Sue

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard