Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#225164 10/14/11 03:32 AM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
So being a Star Wars nerd, this article naturally caught my eye. Then I remembered there are some language peeps on here (Lynn laugh ) and thought y'all might find it interesting too.

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always
depend on the support of Paul.

-George Bernard Shaw
#225165 10/14/11 05:07 AM
Kerth
Kerth
Very interesting article. Anything Star Wars always catches my eye, but the article itself was good. It's strange to think that language has evolved kind of in a backwards way... thanks for the link!

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
#225166 10/14/11 06:13 AM
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Fascinating!

Thanks for the article.

FWIW, I am convinced that the first languages were probably signed languages. (A chapter of a book I co-edited made that very argument. It was co-authored by William Stokoe, the founder of sign language linguistics. I thought the chapter made a compelling case.) FWIW, American Sign Language (ASL) would also be SOV. (Does anyone here know any other sign languages?)

I will say that the article did oversimplify things slightly. ASL, for example, has an underlying SOV structure, but it is much freer than English is with regard to the order in which things are articulated. Latin is that way, too -- there is an underlying word order, but it is not necessary to stick to that order. In English, word order is very important: The dog chased the cat means something completely different than The cat chased the dog. But in Latin, Canis felim fugavit and Felim canis fugavit both mean The dog chased the cat. (Disclaimer: It has been nearly three decades since my last Latin class. I *think* I have that correct, but I might be off on the endings.) In Latin, it is the ending of the words, not the word order, that determines which noun is the subject and which is the direct object of the verb. For that matter, you could have any of the other four possible word orders for the same three Latin words, and the basic meaning of the sentence would remain unchanged. The different orders would change the style and the emphasis, but not the meaning. Sort of like the following sentences in English:

The dog chased the cat.
It was the dog that chased the cat.
As for the cat, the dog chased it.
The chasing of the cat was done by the dog.
What the dog chased was the cat.

This analogy is imperfect, since the written English example requires a lot of additional verbiage to put the focus on specific words. A better analogy would be saying the same words each time, but stressing specific words:

The DOG chased the cat.
The dog CHASED the cat.
The dog chased the CAT.

Unfortunately, that doesn't come across very well in written language.

I wish I had time to write more, but my break at work has already been too long.

Joy,
Lynn

#225167 10/19/11 04:05 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
My father-in-law is a professor of German, and he tells a joke about a German professor whose friend found him in the neighborhood bar, weeping inconsolably over his beer.

"What's wrong?" the friend asked.

Between sobs, the professor told him, "I've been working for years on my ten-volume treatise, and the publisher just told me that they don't have the budget to publish the last volume--they will only publish the first nine."

"Nine out of ten--that's not so bad," his friend tried to console him.

But the professor could not be cheered up so easily. "You don't understand," he wailed, "all the verbs were in the last volume!"

This *is* my happily ever after.
#225168 10/19/11 05:24 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
HappyGirl - that's a great joke! I don't speak German, and I got my understanding of the joke from Mark Twain's great little essay, "The Awful German Language".

Here's a quote of the relevant section:

There are ten parts of speech, and they are all troublesome. An average sentence, in a German newspaper, is a sublime and impressive curiosity; it occupies a quarter of a column; it contains all the ten parts of speech -- not in regular order, but mixed; it is built mainly of compound words constructed by the writer on the spot, and not to be found in any dictionary -- six or seven words compacted into one, without joint or seam -- that is, without hyphens; it treats of fourteen or fifteen different subjects, each inclosed in a parenthesis of its own, with here and there extra parentheses which reinclose three or four of the minor parentheses, making pens within pens: finally, all the parentheses and reparentheses are massed together between a couple of king-parentheses, one of which is placed in the first line of the majestic sentence and the other in the middle of the last line of it -- after which comes the VERB, and you find out for the first time what the man has been talking about; and after the verb -- merely by way of ornament, as far as I can make out -- the writer shovels in "haben sind gewesen gehabt haben geworden sein," or words to that effect, and the monument is finished. I suppose that this closing hurrah is in the nature of the flourish to a man's signature -- not necessary, but pretty. German books are easy enough to read when you hold them before the looking-glass or stand on your head -- so as to reverse the construction -- but I think that to learn to read and understand a German newspaper is a thing which must always remain an impossibility to a foreigner.
And another great quote about verbs in German grammar:

In a German newspaper they put their verb away over on the next page; and I have heard that sometimes after stringing along the exciting preliminaries and parentheses for a column or two, they get in a hurry and have to go to press without getting to the verb at all. Of course, then, the reader is left in a very exhausted and ignorant state.

#225169 10/20/11 10:26 PM
Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
The joke could also be interpreted in another way. In some, mostly scientific German texts the real information is in the nouns and not in the verb. Maybe that's why they're in the last book wink

I too had a good laugh at Mark Twains essay. But nowadays the sentences in German newspapers have become a lot shorter. And Mark Twain might be exaggerating things a little laugh

It's never too dark to be cool. cool

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard